PDA

View Full Version : Adeptus Arbites transport vehicle?

Mannimarco
12-11-2009, 01:03
Hi

so im slowly but surely building my renegade vraskian army using chimeras as the trasnports for my renegade armoured fists, Ive went back and re-read the 1st book and see that the arbites were among the first to die when cardinal xaphan inspired the populace to rebel

i know they went off and raided the armouries (vraks being a giant weapon stockpile) so the renegades will have full access to pretty much every imperial guard vehicle but i was wondering what kind of transports the arbites would have had? a couple of these in there would add to the random mix of gear in the army

if its just a chimera does it have any different configurations to make it different from the guard version? is it a whole new class of vehicle altogether?

Kaihlik
12-11-2009, 01:08
Arbites make use of Rhino's sometimes with crowd supression weapons mounted on them. I dont think they make much use of Chimeras as they are IFV's rather than transports and as such not that useful for a police force (as well as being much more difficult to maintain).

Hope that helps.

tuebor
12-11-2009, 01:10
The Arbites are known to use the Repressor (in the Witchhunters section on Forge World) which is basically a Rhino with lots of firing points.

As for whether or not they'd use Chimeras, I don't see why not, although in limited numbers. IIRC in one novel (I think it was one of the Ultramarine novels) the Arbites had a Leman Russ.

librerian_samae
12-11-2009, 01:12
they use rhino repressors*, in the background, although they also use rhinos and depending on the garrison a few use chimeras.

*rhinos with fire points in a built up roof and a pintle mounted heavy flamer.
Forge world do an excelent model of them.

EDIT:
beaten to the punch, the novel was nightbringer BTW.

Mannimarco
12-11-2009, 01:42
cool cool, obviously it will have to count as a chimera and ill make that clear before any games but i think it would be neat to show vehicles and equipment looted from both the armoury and the arbites supplies themselves

cheers guys

chromedog
12-11-2009, 03:10
Their rhinos often have hooks on the outside to chain the miscreants to (Arbites themselves ride in comfort on the inside).

Repressors and Rhinos for the most part, but I could also see them with a CS tank with watercannon turret as well (the Guard flame tank suits this).

MegaPope
12-11-2009, 19:41
Why is everyone suddenly convinced that the Arbites use pretty much non-lethal weaponry all the time? Where has this view come from? The Arbites are not a 'police force' in that sense (that's where planet-based Enforcers come in) - they are the soldiers of the Adeptus Terra, responsible for keeping a whether eye on planetary governors. They are armed to the teeth, prepared at any moment to resist a siege by an entire world, and they damn well DO shoot to kill! How else do you think they cull the population of hive worlds? ;)

Besides, fresh, drinkable water is propably more valuable a resource than flamethrower fuel on most worlds ;)

Also, webguns are only non-lethal if someone cuts you out of them first, or if the webs are anesthetised - otherwise they constrict enough to kill if the target struggles :skull:

Remeber people, this is the Imperium - if the crime isn't capital, it's the Penal Legions for you...

Murphy's law
12-11-2009, 20:27
Megapope is right.
Arbites are far more superior to an ordinary police force.
They get better equipment then pfd forces, sometimes even better then IG.
They are the first line of defense against a lot of imperial enemy's.
They ride rhino's, repressors, chimera's, bikes and in older fluff(don't know if it's canon) their judges could also use landraiders. Sometimes they have Leman Russ squadrons.

I'm not sure the vraksian renegades could have plundered the arbites armoury. Arbites destroy most of their armoury's before they get killed. But maybe they didn't get the time to sabotage their equipment.

Arbites are extremely professionel and are next in training to space marines. They even get medical alterations.(like space marines, but less extreme)
Every arbitrator is an elites soldier.

chromedog
12-11-2009, 20:56
Besides, fresh, drinkable water is propably more valuable a resource than flamethrower fuel on most worlds ;)

Yes but water is easily recycled.
I doubt the promethium for an inferno cannon is.
(Oh yes, refined in many places, but anyone with a bucket and a groundsheet can get water.).

Culven
12-11-2009, 21:23
obviously it will have to count as a chimera and ill make that clear before any games
The turret on teh Repressor kit is probably tall enough to allow a Heavy Bolter to be mounted to it. Then you could use it as a Chimera with Hull Heavy Bolter and turret Heavy Flamer with minimal work. Then the gun ports would count as those on the Chimera.

Sly Rax
12-11-2009, 21:32
In all the Arbites books i have read they use rhino's and land speeders(but modified).

Did they ever make rules for the metal mastiff they use?

Noserenda
13-11-2009, 00:37
Their last offical Army List (Waaay back in 3rd) let them use Rhinos and Chimeras, plus the reppressor obviously.

Arbites are deliberately over equipped/trained compared to PDF units to maximise their effectiveness against the usually overwhelming numbers they face (Especially as they usually fight PDF...)

chromedog
13-11-2009, 09:39
In all the Arbites books i have read they use rhino's and land speeders(but modified).

Did they ever make rules for the metal mastiff they use?

Yep.

At least in Necromunda they did.
They also did rules for them in Inquisitor (because they made one in 54mm).

Ambience 327
13-11-2009, 15:13
Why is everyone suddenly convinced that the Arbites use pretty much non-lethal weaponry all the time? Where has this view come from? The Arbites are not a 'police force' in that sense (that's where planet-based Enforcers come in) - they are the soldiers of the Adeptus Terra, responsible for keeping a whether eye on planetary governors. They are armed to the teeth, prepared at any moment to resist a siege by an entire world, and they damn well DO shoot to kill! How else do you think they cull the population of hive worlds? ;)

While I certainly agree that the Arbites are armed with deadly weapons, they are also armed with non-lethal weapons as well. There are many times when the Arbitrators would rather take people alive, so that they may be interrogated and/or publically punished/executed as an example.

In short - they are prepared to "shoot to kill", but they do not always do so.

Why else would things like grapplehawks and choke grenades even exist?

AndrewGPaul
13-11-2009, 15:26
I think the thing to remember is that the Arbites will only use non-lethal weaponry when they have a special need to do so. They won't use it just because they're only facing an angry mob. They'll use webbers and gas grenades to subdue suspects, but they'll use bolters, frag grenades and multi-meltas (no, really!) to disperse a crowd.

Lord Damocles
13-11-2009, 20:30
A quite read of Nightbringer will show up Arbites who try to avoid lethal force.

Hehe. That went well didn't it...

Col. Tartleton
13-11-2009, 20:40
For the sake of argument McNeil makes the marines look charming too...

I mean Uriel isn't a realistic marine. If he was a realistic marine the entirety books would be "Yes Sir." and "No Sir." and "Oorah!;)" and *Kill enemy without remorse* and *Kill civilians without remorse* and *Kill children without remorse* and "We could always destroy the planet and cut our losses..."

Arbites are German SA with carapace armor and eight gauges:evilgrin:

AndrewGPaul
13-11-2009, 21:16
I think the thing to remember is that the Arbites will only use non-lethal weaponry when they have a special need to do so. They won't use it just because they're only facing an angry mob. They'll use webbers and gas grenades to subdue suspects, but they'll use bolters, frag grenades and multi-meltas (no, really!) to disperse a crowd.

And now that I check the Repressor entry in Imperial Armour Volume 2, it says the first Battle Sisters to use Repressors borrowed Arbites ones and replaced the nonlethal weaponry with heavy flamers and storm bolters. :rolleyes: Obviously that Arbites Precinct were being dangerously lax. Probably the reason they lost control of the rioters in the first place. :)

NightrawenII
14-11-2009, 11:50
Yes, the Arbitres use the non-lethal weapons, they have power-mauls ya'now.:cheese:

GCMandrake
14-11-2009, 12:14
The Bell of Lost Souls made an Arbites fan-dex. Might be worth a look for inspiration.

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/11/play-aid-adeptus-arbites-mini-dex-from.html

AndrewGPaul
14-11-2009, 12:59
Yes, the Arbitres use the non-lethal weapons, they have power-mauls ya'now.:cheese:

A power maul can knock holes in a concrete wall. It's only non-lethal if you want it to be.

djinn8
14-11-2009, 12:59
As AndrewGPaul said the arbite Repressors use non lethal weaponry. The storm bolter was origionaly a water cannon and the pintle heavy flamer a grenade launcher (smoke). You could make some cool rule if you wanted with these I think. Something like the water cannon being a S3 template that causes pinning and the launcher being a S3 frag grenede that causes pinning.

AndrewGPaul
14-11-2009, 13:01
As AndrewGPaul said the arbite Repressors use non lethal weaponry. The storm bolter was origionaly a water cannon and the pintle heavy flamer a grenade launcher (smoke). You could make some cool rule if you wanted with these I think. Something like the water cannon being a S3 template that causes pinning and the launcher being a S3 frag grenede that causes pinning.

It never actually states what the original non-lethal weaponry was. It could be stubbers with baton rounds, webbers, sonic cannon, etc.

NightrawenII
14-11-2009, 15:05
A power maul can knock holes in a concrete wall. It's only non-lethal if you want it to be.

I was ironical there.:cool:

lord_zyplon
14-11-2009, 17:37
In Execution Hour the Arbites make use of Rhinos and (I think) Repressors. Rennie spends a lot of time describing their personal weaponry, too - power mauls, various shotgun shells, and of course the commander has a bolt pistol :rolleyes: