PDA

View Full Version : Best mage

blackstork
12-11-2009, 09:22
Hello everybody,
I didn't find a thread about the best wizards, so I decided about posting new.
So, if I can offer this topic and poll, who from current special characters is the best mage and why Teclis is him:)

Condottiere
12-11-2009, 09:50
Teclis is the best Mage, in fact he's the best Archmage, something that no one else can claim. Wizard is the generic term in Warhammer for a spell-caster.

All those listed have their various strengths and weaknesses, but the great advantage that Teclis has is the possibility to cast two spells with five die each and the possibility of IF on any double except 1s, and able to ignore the first miscast.

Desert Rain
12-11-2009, 10:43
Kairos or Teclis. Kairos is more versatile and durable but Teclis IF-on-all-doubles is very good.
If you put them in a magical duel in a game I guest that Kairos would have won since he is tough enough to take Teclis IR spells and then kill him in return since Teclis is only T2.

VeriNasti
12-11-2009, 10:47
Teclis - his ability for any double number allowing him irrestible force is pretty much game winning.

EdFireborn
12-11-2009, 10:49
Teclis is probably the best wizard,

Malekith & Morathi have access to an exceptionally powerful lore...

Vilitch i voted for however because of the amount of power dice and dispel dice that become possible...

blackstork
12-11-2009, 10:58
Kairos or Teclis. Kairos is more versatile and durable but Teclis IF-on-all-doubles is very good.
If you put them in a magical duel in a game I guest that Kairos would have won since he is tough enough to take Teclis IR spells and then kill him in return since Teclis is only T2.

In hand-to-hand combat Kairos is win, even if both won't wound. But Teclis in block of Phoenix Guards is safe.

TheDarkDaff
12-11-2009, 11:25
I voted for Malekith simply because he is a fairly good caster with a very powerful lore plus he doubles up as a Fighty Lord on Dragon with good protection in the form of the Armour of Midnight and Spellshield. In short he isn't he best spell caster but he is probably the most versatile of them being able to help out the rest of the army with protection and getting stuck in when he needs to.

The Red Scourge
12-11-2009, 11:36
A gateway spamming tzeentch daemon prince :)

Arnizipal
12-11-2009, 11:45
Backgroundwise or ruleswise?

dangermouse425
12-11-2009, 11:54
er... OTHER!
Any mage that can summon a God to STAMP on someone is good in my book.

:) WAAAGH ORCS!

blackstork
12-11-2009, 12:13
Backgroundwise or ruleswise?

I thought ruleswise, but backgroundwise is also welcome.:)

Arnizipal
12-11-2009, 12:20
Ruleswise speaking, wouldn't it make sense that the most expensive wizard is the most powerful one?

The SkaerKrow
12-11-2009, 12:28
The correct answer is, and always will be, Nagash.

lopezpie
12-11-2009, 12:36
hah i chose malekith cause it takes teclis and that other dude to stop him pfft!

Alathir
12-11-2009, 12:56
Background wise, it would be Mazdamundi (Kroak is dead so he doesnt count.) although Teclis is apparently the greatest mage of this age, so perhaps him then.

Scythe
12-11-2009, 13:05

Seconded.

Rules wise, taking effectiveness (not only in the magic phase, mind) for points cost into consideration, I would probably pick a Tzeentch Herald, Horrors or a summon-spam equipped Vampire Count.

Enigmatik1
12-11-2009, 13:18
Background wise, it would be Mazdamundi (Kroak is dead so he doesnt count.) although Teclis is apparently the greatest mage of this age, so perhaps him then.

Besides, anyone that has a specific spell that only they can cast called "Ruination of Cities" is money in my book. ((That is Maz, right? lol))

BigbyWolf
12-11-2009, 13:22
I went for "other", my vote goes for the old Supreme Primarch (who's name escapes me for the time being), the with the lore of Fire, with a constantly (automatically recasting) flaming sword of Rhuin in his had, as well as the abilily to cast it on other models, add range to the normal lore of fire spells and other nifty abilties makes him stand out in my book.

But really I just like making things burn...

Alathir
12-11-2009, 13:25
Besides, anyone that has a specific spell that only they can cast called "Ruination of Cities" is money in my book. ((That is Maz, right? lol))

I believe he has it in the current edition yes, although Kroak did in the 6th edition book.

Scythe
12-11-2009, 13:28
I went for "other", my vote goes for the old Supreme Primarch (who's name escapes me for the time being), the with the lore of Fire, with a constantly (automatically recasting) flaming sword of Rhuin in his had, as well as the abilily to cast it on other models, add range to the normal lore of fire spells and other nifty abilties makes him stand out in my book.

But really I just like making things burn...

Thyrus Goreman. He was rather powerfull for an empire wizard indeed.

brendel
12-11-2009, 13:32
Has to be Teclis in all the stories he is decribed as the greatest "living" mage so undead ones dont count LOL

Desert Rain
12-11-2009, 13:38
The only reason that Teclis is regarded as the greatest living mage is because most people don't even know that the Slann exist. And the Slann will win over Teclis both game- and backgroundwise.

Jiggy
12-11-2009, 14:01
Teclis ruleswise.IF on ANY double?I haven't met him on the table yet but I think his only flaw is his lore.Had he the lore of Tzeentch he would be able to wipe whole armies on his own.

nagash66
12-11-2009, 14:02
Nagash then/or/also the TOADS OF DOOOM, the lef can suck it.

Bac5665
12-11-2009, 14:06
A normal slann Mage-Priest, kitted out correctly, is better than anything you have listed above. Teclis is a luck game, if a good one, and most of the rest are obviously not the best for one reason or another.

Bard Harlock
12-11-2009, 14:42
Background, obviously the Slann win. Even in death, Kroak can cast a spell at caster strength 20 that hits every enemy unit within 24" with 2d6 S4 hits. He can throw as many dice as he wants at it and he can cast it as many times per turn as he'd like as long as he has dice left.

That's a pretty great wizard when even his spirit can mop the floor with you. Mazdamundi is awesome too, as has already been stated.

Desert Rain
12-11-2009, 14:56
Teclis will lose to a WoC sorcerer with Pandaemonium, whoops miscasts instead of IF not a good day for a T2 dude.

The SkaerKrow
12-11-2009, 16:26
Background, obviously the Slann win. All of the Slann together, maybe. Nevermind that Nagash was one ritual away from bringing every single corpse, in the whole of the Warhammer World, back from the grave as Undead. Seriously, everyone needs to thank the Skaven for saving the (game) world. :D

Bard Harlock
12-11-2009, 16:31
All of the Slann together, maybe. Nevermind that Nagash was one ritual away from bringing every single corpse, in the whole of the Warhammer World, back from the grave as Undead. Seriously, everyone needs to thank the Skaven for saving the (game) world. :D

Meh, every race has saved the world one way or another, just about.

The SkaerKrow
12-11-2009, 16:42
Meh, every race has saved the world one way or another, just about.Wood Elves everywhere are offended by your indirect insinuation that they have ever done anything noteworthy in the world of Warhammer :p.

Xzazzarai
12-11-2009, 16:46
Kairos, any day!

His durability and versatility is worth so much more than IF! It allows him to get the spell needed, beeing able to take position AND take som punnishment while doing it.
He's the greatest, no question about it!

Teclis is second only to Kairos.

Tae
12-11-2009, 17:04
Teclis, world's most powerful mage... owned by a 25 poitn Dark Elf magic item. Roll a double now, I dare you!

Honestly, Slaan, Kairos and Nagash are all better than the Asur fairy, both rules-wise and fluff wise.

Tarian
12-11-2009, 17:57
Kairos, any day!

His durability and versatility is worth so much more than IF! It allows him to get the spell needed, beeing able to take position AND take som punnishment while doing it.
He's the greatest, no question about it!

Teclis is second only to Kairos.

Three words... Pit of Shades. Bye bye Kairos, with your piddly I value. (Same goes for the magic Frog)

Paviel
12-11-2009, 18:30
Wood Elves everywhere are offended by your indirect insinuation that they have ever done anything noteworthy in the world of Warhammer :p.

Training the Grail Damsels and empowering the Grail Knights is pretty noteworthy for Bretonnia, and Bretonnia is responsible for the lack of hostile forces on the Empire's southwestern border.

Tae
12-11-2009, 18:35
Three words... Pit of Shades. Bye bye Kairos, with your piddly I value. (Same goes for the magic Frog)

Good luck getting it off against a Frog, especially if he takes Cogitation (forget the complete name) which means you discard all 6's - thereby reomving your best attempt at actually managing to get the spell off (double 6).

Plus there are numerous spells which can make a mess of Teclis. Several new books have -T spells or other fun items such as Lizardmen's Blood Statuette of Spite (misspelled I'm sure) which means T test or 1W, repeat until pass (have fun mr T2 elf). Not to mention that Teclis is rendered virtually useless when you slap a 25 point ring within 12" of him or the rest of your army. At least the frog and Kairos can do other stuff as well, Teclis relies on his 'IF on any double' (which meets the casting value as well) which if that stops working becomes excedingly overpriced.

Tarian
12-11-2009, 18:39
Good luck getting it off against a Frog, especially if he takes Cogitation (forget the complete name) which means you discard all 6's - thereby reomving your best attempt at actually managing to get the spell off (double 6).

Plus there are numerous spells which can make a mess of Teclis. Several new books have -T spells or other fun items such as Lizardmen's Blood Statuette of Spite (misspelled I'm sure) which means T test or 1W, repeat until pass (have fun mr T2 elf). Not to mention that Teclis is rendered virtually useless when you slap a 25 point ring within 12" of him or the rest of your army. At least the frog and Kairos can do other stuff as well, Teclis relies on his 'IF on any double' (which meets the casting value as well) which if that stops working becomes excedingly overpriced.

Except Teclis doesn't need double 6s... he comes with a free dispel scroll (with the potential of removing the spell) along with +d3 dice. If we want to talk about other stuff too, shove him in a unit with a banner of Immune to Magic, and -1 to hit with shooting, hiding in a building with a dragon sitting on said building. (I thought this was mage v mage?)

Schelle
12-11-2009, 18:50
[QUOTE=Alathir;4121791]Background wise, it would be Mazdamundi (Kroak is dead so he doesnt count.) although Teclis is apparently the greatest mage of this age, so perhaps him then.

Brilliant:D Let's be honnest, background wise Slann Mage priests should be able to completely (and I mean completely) rule Warhammer magic, should not be able to miscast, spells should practically automatically be in all the time. Unfortunately the new Lizardmen book is a big miss on Slann magic :cries:, so gave up on LM and started Chaos and Vampires instead. Now these blokes rule magic. Hooray!!!:D

The SkaerKrow
12-11-2009, 19:07
Training the Grail Damsels and empowering the Grail Knights is pretty noteworthy for Bretonnia, and Bretonnia is responsible for the lack of hostile forces on the Empire's southwestern border.You're assuming that the Lady of the Lake is an Asrai/Ariel, and not actually Belakor. It's totally Belakor. Well, he just goes by "Bella" when he's dressed like that, but still...

Sly Rax
12-11-2009, 19:09
Its Nagash! No dout in my mind.

BigbyWolf
12-11-2009, 19:29
What about a unit of 400 horrors? :p

Tae
12-11-2009, 20:13
Except Teclis doesn't need double 6s... he comes with a free dispel scroll (with the potential of removing the spell) along with +d3 dice. If we want to talk about other stuff too, shove him in a unit with a banner of Immune to Magic, and -1 to hit with shooting, hiding in a building with a dragon sitting on said building. (I thought this was mage v mage?)

If you're going to do Mage v Mage, then watch as the Frog takes Lore of Fire. 4/6 spells have the potential to wipe Teclis out in one go, one of which needs no LoS and has unlimited range. Lore of Shadow contains one spell capable of taking the Frog out in one go.

Tarian
12-11-2009, 20:14
You're assuming that the Lady of the Lake is an Asrai/Ariel, and not actually Belakor. It's totally Belakor. Well, he just goes by "Bella" when he's dressed like that, but still...

-.- That... wha... eh?! I think you just broke the rationale part of my mind SkaerKrow... thanks.

@Tae: Well, Teclis looks better in a dress, so there. :D

Tae
12-11-2009, 20:16
@Tae: Well, Teclis looks better in a dress, so there. :D

Yeah but if we were looking at clothing (or lack thereof) surely DE sorceresses would top that poll without even having to try :p

Tarian
12-11-2009, 20:17
Yeah but if we were looking at clothing (or lack thereof) surely DE sorceresses would top that poll without even having to try :p

Darn you and your logic! (Though Teclis is winning the popularity contest! :evilgrin:)

Tae
12-11-2009, 20:21
Darn you and your logic! (Though Teclis is winning the popularity contest! :evilgrin:)

Hehe, I wonder how many of those who voted mis-play his rules?

Look, my two dice rolled double 2, I've cast Vaul's Unmakng with IF!

Tarian
12-11-2009, 20:27
Hehe, I wonder how many of those who voted mis-play his rules?

Look, my two dice rolled double 2, I've cast Vaul's Unmakng with IF!

I had to argue against a guy about that once... and I was using the pansy elf... :wtf:

Col. Tartleton
12-11-2009, 21:31
Thanquol and Boner-ipper

Thanquol is everyone's favorite "I'm totally tweaking out man" no-doze junky politician's son with the fat bankroll and all the ladies.

Bone Ripper is his Big Man, the giant of a guy who can crush anyone who wants to screw around with the Greeks. The enemy may be rolling deep, but Thanquol has Bone holding him down, and Bone is packing heat.

Thanquol pretty much throws power die at the problem until it dies and if you try to fight him boom, Boneripper eats your face.

Jormi_Boced
12-11-2009, 22:17
My friend and I played out a wizards duel between a Slann and Teclis a while back. This is how it went down. We started 18 inches apart facing each other and generated our power and dispel dice. We each picked a spell to cast and casted them at the same time.

Teclis squared off against a Slaan Mage-Priest. We ran a 1 on 1 duel between Teclis and the Slaan and the Slaan won two times in a row. The first duel Teclis cast pit of shades but didn't roll doubles and the Slann scrolled it, the Slann cast fireball and Teclis dispelled. Then Teclis cast the flying spell and the Slann dispelled it. The Slann cast burning head and Teclis let it go through taking 2 wounds. Then the Slann cast fiery blast and Teclis scrolled it and destroyed the spell. Turn 2 Teclis got Pit of shades off irresistibly and the Slann rolled a 1 for his initiative test and survived. Teclis dispelled fireball again. Teclis cast the flying spell (to get out of the Slann's LOS) and the Slann dispelled, then Teclis dispelled burning head. The Slann cast Conflagration of Doom and rolled a 12. Teclis rolled 3 dice and rolled a 10+1 which was not enough. The Slann then proceeded to do 12 wounds to Teclis burning him to death.

2nd battle Teclis cast the flying spell while the Slann cast fiery blast, the Slann dispelled the flying spell and Teclis scrolled fiery blast but didn't destroy it. Teclis then cast Pit of Shades and miscast. The Slann cast burning head and then transferred a miscast to finish Teclis off.

It really was a dicefest that could have went either way.

Bard Harlock
12-11-2009, 23:38
Background-wise there is no doubt left in the BRB page 194, last paragraph, second sentence.

Ad-Rock
13-11-2009, 02:10
I voted "other" a Slann Mage-Priest or Nagash.

march10k
13-11-2009, 03:40

quoted for truth!

ChaosVC
13-11-2009, 03:55
What happen to Morathi?

AlmightyNocturnus
13-11-2009, 05:17
The answer is - unfortunately - Teclis

Almighty Nocturnus

Laughingmonk
13-11-2009, 05:38
Teclis is the most powerful magic user, but is allergic to Hochland long rifles. Kairos tends to stick around and nuke everything longer.

someone2040
13-11-2009, 05:40
I believe he has it in the current edition yes, although Kroak did in the 6th edition book.
But to be even fairer, Mazdamundi is just rightfully reclaiming his spell, because he had it back in 5th edition :P.
It has been stated somewhere, but of the living casters, Mazdamdundi (Even if his crappy rules show no hint of it what so ever) is suposed to be the most powerful caster alive.

If you include the dead, then it's obviously Nagash. Although I'm sure Kroaky boy in his prime would give him a run for his money.

Condottiere
13-11-2009, 08:07
Let's make a case for Lucrezzia Belladonna - if you fully used her special rules, there's a fifty percent chance for each enemy character that he receives a wound from poisoning, that before the game even starts. Then all friendly fleeing human troops automatically rally within 8" radius. She has the choice of two Lores. One of her champions gets Killing Blow, and another may have upto six stats in his profile upgraded by one.

-Grimgorironhide-
13-11-2009, 08:10
I little question I was wondering? How old is Teclis exactly? If he is one of, if not the most powerful non-frog caster than he would have to of had centuries of training right?
I know he is at least 200 years though.

cheers.

Tenken
13-11-2009, 08:13
I'd vote for kroak back when he was alive. He moved the planet for the old ones' sake!!! He destroyed an entire army of demons after he was killed!!! Let's see teclis do that.:p

As for rules wise, a generic slann is pry the best. Extra free power dice, know all spells, destroy the enemies magic phase, not to much else can compare with those. Not to mention the disapproving frog priests are tough, have alot of wounds (for a wizard), and come with a super death star unit that they get to sit in the second row of and get large target LOS. Pretty sweet I'd have to say.

Nicha11
13-11-2009, 11:10
I'd vote for kroak back when he was alive. He moved the planet for the old ones' sake!!! He destroyed an entire army of demons after he was killed!!! Let's see teclis do that.:p

As i recall in the Storm of Chaos Teclis (and a small bodyguard) single handedly wiped out Bel'akor and his demonic horde.

Dungeon_Lawyer
13-11-2009, 11:30
hehe, i wonder how many of those who voted mis-play his rules?

look, my two dice rolled double 2, i've cast vaul's unmakng with if!

exactly!!!!

Fall from grace
13-11-2009, 12:31
Manfred is the best mage due to being well suited to the army he leads. 3+ IoN will ruin anyones day.

The SkaerKrow
13-11-2009, 13:02
As i recall in the Storm of Chaos Teclis (and a small bodyguard) single handedly wiped out Bel'akor and his demonic horde.Little known fact, Bella (Hard)Kor was not actually defeated. He had an appointment to perform Village People cabaret at the local art annex, and ducked out of the battle amidst the magic and craziness.

Gaargod
13-11-2009, 14:50
Teclis did indeed to the whole 'i click my finers, your army disappears' to Belakor (well done GW...).

Kroak did that to a limitless horde of daemons for several days, back when daemons were a lot stronger. Although people always are impressed by Aenarion (barely) defeating 4 GDs at once, Kroak vaporized dozens of them in a few minutes. Not to mention his last spell.

Nagash, at the height of his power, is probably better than Teclis too. His big spell of doom (remember by the way, he'd consumed a crazy amount of warpstone and spent a lot of time to power said spell) is impressive certainly, but the Slann repeatedly show him up - Kroak moved the orbit of the planet, Mazda rewrites the geography of whole continents (world's edge mountains). Even generic slann were meant to be able jaw dropping things (they constructed the temple cities for one. Go figure).

Of course, rules wise, Teclis beats the living daylights out of both Kroak and Maz (who both, by fluff, should easily be more powerful than him, even if Kroak is dead). If he had Focused Rumination (+1 dice a spell), then Kroak would be very, very good (and very, very abusable).

Ruleswise, i'd go with Kairos. Oddly enough, Teclis will deck Kairos most times (lob lots of dice at Pit of Shades, hope doens't miscast and Kairos explodes) but against most stuff, Kairos is far more powerful. His ability to cherry pick spells according to the battle, from multiple lores, means he can have a devastating effect. However, he needs more backup than Teclis (i.e. Teclis + standard of sorc + scroll caddy is fine for magic) as he really shines when the blue scribes and a couple of power vortexes are about.

The mysterious man
13-11-2009, 16:05
Well i would have to say Nagash but wikipedia seems to think that
1. is Teclis - Most powerful mage in this age of the world
2. is Lord Mazdamundi -The most senior living Slann in the world. The second most powerful living mage (After Teclis)
3. Nagash

i would tend to agree with this on general fluff terms but as for game who knows...

Bard Harlock
13-11-2009, 17:48
"...even today the Slann are the greatest wizards of the Warhammer world."

-BRB

Paviel
14-11-2009, 08:14
I little question I was wondering? How old is Teclis exactly? If he is one of, if not the most powerful non-frog caster than he would have to of had centuries of training right?
I know he is at least 200 years though.

cheers.

He was a powerful wizard 200 years ago, when he and two fellow mages taught humans all about magic. Allegedly, he had already had "centuries of experience" at that time, making him at least 400 years old now, and most likely older.

Forwe
14-11-2009, 22:02
Venerable Lord Kroak is the best anyway, because everyone should kneel before wisdom of the Old Ones, aha-ha-ha! I like 'im. A livin' mummy. It's just splendid, isn't it? :)

march10k
15-11-2009, 16:33
Anybody notice that Kroak is a tomb king lich priest in all but name? Between him and Nagash, I'd have to say that the undead are rocking this contest...

kingcr02
15-11-2009, 17:57
Is there any question to how powerful Teclis is??

Xzazzarai
15-11-2009, 18:09

If you even get the spell...
If you even get into position...
If you even get it off...
If you are alive...

Keep in mind that you have to catch a flying, Large Target, Magic power-house...

It is a good and simple sullotion, like gateway... IF (no pun intended) you can get it off...

Deetwo
15-11-2009, 18:47
Kairos knows things even Tzeentch himself doesn't... How can he not he be the most poweful wizard? :D
And while the brb and other sources might consider Teclis or the Slann the most powerful wizards alive... Lords of Change and Nagash aren't exactly alive now are they?
So I guess Teclis and Slann are the best of the second best :D

Ruleswise though... I couldn't care less :)