PDA

View Full Version : Thorek nerf

ExarPucc
12-11-2009, 19:27
Comments? Criticisms?

Only 1 reroll per game now. A little bit better?

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470859_FAQ_Dwarfs_2009

CaliforniaGamer
12-11-2009, 19:30
whoa, when did this get put up on the website?

That is a fairly important errata. Makes me think if they wanted to, they could slip a small little line into the Daemons of Chaos special rules:
"...5+ Ward Save is negated by magical attacks"

The SkaerKrow
12-11-2009, 19:33
It says the 7th of October, but I checked last week, and it wasn't there.

ExarPucc
12-11-2009, 19:34
Within the last day or so. It had been up on the German website for some time, but I think it was kept hush-hush from those who don't speak German for a reason.

Red Metal
12-11-2009, 19:38
I actually heard about it for first time a few months back during a tournie I was playing in. One of the GW employees told me about how it got changed.

I'm not sure I like it, as it really takes away from Kraggi. Now instead of being an awesome back-up to Thorek, he just gets to help out once. I'm not sure I see the reason for having him at all, then. Thorek is basically an super-accomplished Runelord and that's why he can strike Runes better than a common Runelord. Kraggi was there to help make him perfect and now he only contributes once per game? I'd rather have Kraggi be an upgrade and be able to take Thorek without him (for less points), since otherwise Kraggi doesn't do anything. (Sure, Kraggi acts as a unit Champion in close combat, but he's weak compared to the Anvil Guards)

DarkTerror
12-11-2009, 20:17
Great news.

*watches intently for DoC FAQ update*

ExarPucc
12-11-2009, 20:18
Great news.

*watches intently for DoC FAQ update*

What about VC or DE? Or have DoC just completely nullified anything that could be construed OP/Cheesy/Beardy in either of those lists as well?

DarkTerror
12-11-2009, 20:20
What about VC or DE? Or have DoC just completely nullified anything that could be construed OP/Cheesy/Beardy in either of those lists as well?

DoC need it the most, and it's not close. Dark Elves don't need an errata like DoC or VC either, what they're mostly in need of is points changes.

Tae
12-11-2009, 20:23
Thorek has been played like this at the UK GT for the past couple of years (at least). Not that surprised to find it made into a proper FAQ.

ExarPucc
12-11-2009, 20:23
DoC need it the most, and it's not close. Dark Elves don't need an errata like DoC or VC either, what they're mostly in need of is points changes.

Thank you for not reacting defensively to my post. I have a very limited WHFB experience, but I know what's what. I read plenty, just don't have actual game experience.

I brought this up because I found it researching Dwarfs as I am looking to start them. While I had not plans on running a Thorek gunline, I also understand that in settings like 'Ard Boyz, you do what you have to. I'm wondering if there is anything else the dwarf list can do now to compete in a non-comp score environment.

Tarian
12-11-2009, 20:26
Ooooh, I like the ninja errata on that. Let's hope they mess with other lists a bit too. (Though if they're just now getting to that, Daemons might get their Errata in 9th edition)

Avian
12-11-2009, 20:51
Thorek has been played like this at the UK GT for the past couple of years (at least). Not that surprised to find it made into a proper FAQ.
Especially since the UK GT was more or less the only place you'd see him anyway. Thus this errata doesn't really have any effect.

Ozorik
12-11-2009, 21:03
Its nice to see such a timely update for such a new book. I expect to see a DoC FAQ in about 4 years time.

EvC
12-11-2009, 21:31
I'm wondering if there is anything else the dwarf list can do now to compete in a non-comp score environment.

...player skill? *tumbleweed blows past*

Gaz Taylor
12-11-2009, 21:51
I brought this up because I found it researching Dwarfs as I am looking to start them. While I had not plans on running a Thorek gunline, I also understand that in settings like 'Ard Boyz, you do what you have to. I'm wondering if there is anything else the dwarf list can do now to compete in a non-comp score environment.

A guy came 9th at Heat Two last week with a non Thorek List

Runelord, shield, Rune of stone, Spellbreaker, anvil
Master Engineer, GW
Thane, GW, Master Rune of Gromril, Rune of Resistance, Rune of Preservation

2 x 10 xbows, shields
20 Warriors, SB, Mu

19 Hammerers, FC, Rune of Courage
15 Slayers
Grudgethrower, engineer, runes of accuracy, penetration and burning
Cannon, engineer, runes of forging and burning

2 x organ gun.

Urgat
12-11-2009, 22:28
So, what happened to the "we're not gonna change rules for existing books" philosophy? DId it at last hit the bucket? I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Thorek, but the precedent, on the other hand, is much welcome.

CaliforniaGamer
12-11-2009, 22:36
I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Thorek, but the precedent, on the other hand, is much welcome.

Yes, this opens a whole world of possibilities for balancing 7th ed and not having to wait until all the offending books are re-written.

Condottiere
12-11-2009, 22:49
Assuming the Eighth is out in July 2010, that's only nine months, which probably doesn't leave much time to do these adjustments for the current edition.

H33D
13-11-2009, 01:47
I like to see GW effectively wasting their time with Dwarves when other armies have special characters that are more broken. People just tend to complain about Dwarves more, I think that is the reason for the disclaimer at the end of the Errata now. Fix some Daemon special characters if you are going to fix anything, sheesh.

Green Feevah!
13-11-2009, 01:55
Wow... just... wow.

GW finally breaks their ridiculous policy of 'Our book have no mistakes!', and the first thing they decide to do is go after the Dwarves? Really?

Let me guess, their next ninja errata is going after Ogre Kingdoms and all their pesky fear-causing.

Gaz Taylor
13-11-2009, 17:00
So, what happened to the "we're not gonna change rules for existing books" philosophy? DId it at last hit the bucket? I honestly don't give a rat's ass about Thorek, but the precedent, on the other hand, is much welcome.

Unsure but most GW FAQs are answered by folks in the know (I know the Direwolf guys are normally a starting point) and then it gets vetoed by Alessio.

At a guess this got added because it pops up every year at the UK GTs and it was to stop all the usual questions people ask. Not that it matters as I think most people will end up playing DoC or DE at Heat 3! :p