PDA

View Full Version : new dwarf army

marv335
24-01-2006, 23:16
well my local gw is running a "tale of x gamers". i've been persuaded to take part.
so as we have a skaven, brettonian, ork, ogre and tomb kings army taking part, i thought i'd try a dwarf army.
the rules are; 50 in the first month, then 30 in the following five.
all models must be built and painted before the end of each month.
armybooks, paints, etc are not included in the monthly total.
i've bought the regiment box as a start (and a lord, i cheated a little but he's a nice model).
any advice for building a dwarf army from other generals?

Gratnuk Ironfist
26-01-2006, 08:07
Well congrats and welcome to the ranks of the lords onf the Wolrds Edge Mountains. So first step what troops do you actually have now, beside the lord?

Morph
26-01-2006, 10:15
I hate being the GW cynic, but is this GWs new strategy to make money? Encourage their regulars to spend 200 + paints/books etc. over 6 months?

You say you've bought the regiment box + lord. That's not 50, how are you cheating? Do you mean some sort of batalion box (not sure what the current Dwarf box contains)? If so, that contains a good start. You'd better get cracking with your painting.

Borthcollective
26-01-2006, 12:48
So you can make a mix of 24 warriors/longbeards, 16 thunderers/quarrelers/rangers, and a cannon or organ gun.

What are the rules for making forces?

I would make probably 12 of each of the warriors and long beards in the first month.

I would make an organ gun out of the cannon choice.

I would probably go with quarrelers on the ranged guys and use them as such or as rangers.

The next month's purchase would be another box of warriors (8 warriors 8 longbeards) and a bolt thrower, then the next month would be another box of thunderers(10 thunderers, 6 quarrelers, this will now give you 22 quarrelers, enough for a unit of rangers and quarrelers) and another bolt thrower.

Now that's all using unit structure from the book. If you are allowed to go smaller with the warbands rules that would change how I build the thunderer/quarreler box.

marv335
26-01-2006, 13:27
i meant battalion box, sorry.
i wanted a new army for warhammer anyway and i've always liked the dwarfs
so i have.
1x thane.
12x warriors
12x longbeards
16x thunderers.
1x cannon
by the end of month 2 (and another 30) i should have 1000pts and a fieldable army.
all these restrictions are going to do is force me to is develop an army and paint it in chunks instead ofmy usual style of just buying a pile of stuff and just undercoating it.

my basic plan for next month is to get an organ gun and bulk up my warriors/longbeards to 20 strong units
that should put me around the 1000pt point.

Gratnuk Ironfist
26-01-2006, 17:13
Aye that's an intelligent start, what rune you plan to put on your longbeards?
How many warriors will you have left after bulking the warriors and longbeards?

marv335
27-01-2006, 01:00
none. i have 24 currently (12 of each) you get 16 in the regiment box. so that's 8 of each.
then i'll have;
1 thane
20 warriors
20 long beards (i fancy the stoic rune to give them a unit strength of 40)
16 thunderers
1 cannon
1 organ gun
the units will be four ranks of five. (except the thunderers)
i'll probably add another thane to be the bsb and a runesmith.
and i'll add engineers to the warmachines.
future plans include a lord/shieldbearers in a unit of ironbreakers.
i don't intend to add any slayers, i don't like them.

Borthcollective
27-01-2006, 01:28

I love them, have a whole slayer army, but I don't like fielding them in my dwarf army. I think my problem is that I try and make a huge unit of them like I would any other unit, and the unbreakable rule makes me no need that if they are jsut going to be out there for some tie up. Plus it's rough having one unit in your army that gets no armor save, makes you really have to work to use slayers correctly.

Borthcollective
27-01-2006, 01:28
none. i have 24 currently (12 of each) you get 16 in the regiment box. so that's 8 of each.
then i'll have;
1 thane
20 warriors
20 long beards (i fancy the stoic rune to give them a unit strength of 40)
16 thunderers
1 cannon
1 organ gun
the units will be four ranks of five. (except the thunderers)
i'll probably add another thane to be the bsb and a runesmith.
and i'll add engineers to the warmachines.
future plans include a lord/shieldbearers in a unit of ironbreakers.

Looks pretty good to me, but I would still consider bolt throwers.

Gratnuk Ironfist
27-01-2006, 03:41
I love them.

Me too, especially vs orcs, chaos and cavalry.

marv335
27-01-2006, 11:32
i'll probably get some bolt throwers when i get to 2000

Tormentor of Slaanesh
27-01-2006, 19:21
Have a cannon. I only have 1 along with a boltthrower and between them they once blasted an entire knight unit, 8 strong.....
a good old balanced army is good, some shooting and some combat.
Don't have an anvil until 2000pts.

rowlf
27-01-2006, 20:21
i've been playing around witht the new book making up different types of forces, at the moment i don't have any war machines and this seems to work well against most forces apart from ogres but this was mostly down to how i played it. i have found that a small unit of slayers (10) works really well to hold a flank. a unit of rangers combined with a unit of miners also works really well as you can be contesting a table quarter in turn one then move the miners into the other when they turn up.

how are you equiping your troops?

Gobbas
27-01-2006, 20:56
Hmmm How about a small unit of hammerers? around 8 of them. with their new stubborness they are great to tie units up if the hammerers are armed with shields.
and if withing range of a BSB they will hardly ever break and with WS 5 T4 and a 3+ save they are hard to kill, the one thing that would hurt them the most would be fear causers that outnumber them.

I personaly will be running 2x8 hammerers with shields in an upcomming tournament.

Frankly
28-01-2006, 06:56
Hmmm How about a small unit of hammerers? around 8 of them. with their new stubborness they are great to tie units up if the hammerers are armed with shields.
and if withing range of a BSB they will hardly ever break and with WS 5 T4 and a 3+ save they are hard to kill, the one thing that would hurt them the most would be fear causers that outnumber them.

I personaly will be running 2x8 hammerers with shields in an upcomming tournament.

I've actually that they are really cheep, I don't see any really not to run them a 15-20 because of this, thats just me though.

It looks as though you have a good basic amunt of troops and choices which is a good way to start any army in WHFB.

I personally think that its very hard to go wrong with buying more warriors and/or another unit with double handed weapons as a shock troop.

Gratnuk Ironfist
29-01-2006, 00:24
So rowlf you reckon cannon is better that ST?:cool:

Gobbas
29-01-2006, 04:07
Cannons bah the grudgethrowers is unbeatable especialy with RoA and RoP on it.

and 2 boltthrowers instead of a cannon is usualy better (plus bolt throwers are fun to tool up.. but they easily get more expenive then a cannon then) well not having to guess is usualy a good thing.

Gratnuk Ironfist
04-02-2006, 06:01
Well so far I have to say that Bt's are best, cannons are second and GT third as even though threr are shots a GT can make that others can't. Amount of times a good shot has scattered into ablivian have not impressed me.

Gratnuk Ironfist
04-02-2006, 06:02
Even with Ro Accuracy.

Mezziah
06-02-2006, 12:57
A flamecannon is never wrong :)

Steel_Legion
06-02-2006, 17:41
no one seems to mention a grudge thrower, i bought one, and i love it! its pretty hard to guess range, but with a rune of penatration,and an engineer (master or non master) they become a pain for your enemy.

chumchu
06-02-2006, 17:55
Buy as many runes of battle as possible. +1 Cr is always worth it.

Gratnuk Ironfist
07-02-2006, 07:11
Buy as many runes of battle as possible. +1 Cr is always worth it.

That and the new loveable ro stoicism