PDA

View Full Version : Lost in the Warp

CKO
13-11-2009, 03:11
I was pondering in la la land, and I got to thinking is all data from previous editions useless?

I mean is 2nd or 3rd edition experience any good from a tactical stand point?

I at first said its useless but the dice part is usually the same, so as the title says I am lost in the warp.

What do you guys think?

Count de Monet
13-11-2009, 03:48
Wargaming experience in general is useful. Being able to size up units, see connections, reliably estimate ranges, etc.

RT/2nd ed data probably isn't terribly useful. 3rd+ ed generally is, as what's stayed the same or similar is greater than what's changed.

arachnid
13-11-2009, 04:46
sure it's useful..

"Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it"
comes to mind.

also, you can say
"heey, lets use this awesome piece of gear, it's called a hallucinogen grenade"
:D

derelinqueren
13-11-2009, 10:05
I was pondering in la la land, and I got to thinking is all data from previous editions useless?

I at first said its useless but the dice part is usually the same, so as the title says I am lost in the warp.

What do you guys think?

No
Yes
In that order.

Seriously, 2nd is where I left, and have recently come back and my tactics are holding up well enough just these wierd armies around like Dark Eldar? Daemons? Oh Space puppies are still flavour of the month, just like when I left, which is a very wierd

PaddyF
13-11-2009, 10:16
2nd Edition 40k?

Yes I will have a Warp Spider Exarch with Two Vortex Grenades as there are two wargear cards and fast shot.

*warp jumps to enemy deployment zone*

*Vortex Grenades enemy General and biggest looking tank*

*is smug*

Reflex
13-11-2009, 12:30
yea good old 2nd edition warp spiders and orks with those rocket thingies.

3rd edition is not so bad as some if not most of the rules are still about today. but anything from 2nd edition is basically dead and i cant see gw bringing much more back. i mean sure they are dropping in some random bits here and there but from a tactical stand point nothing significant or advantageous.

Vaktathi
13-11-2009, 12:48

What do you guys think?

Well, 5th is just an expansion on 3rd. The core mechanics remain the same, LoS and CC resolution has basically been the largest changes, all the other changes have been tweaks to existing mechanics (like vehicle damage, etc) so much of the game remains intact. 5th edition is really just the result of continual changes to 3rd. 3rd edition was like a prototype total reboot back to absolute basics in the aftermath of what 2nd turned into, with 4th and 5th building upon it in various ways.

2nd was totally different on many levels, with armor save modifiers, totally different armor pen methods, to hit modifiers, stacking saves, horrifically complex CC phases, varied movement stats, etc.

RT was basically another game entirely with only a few things holding over to the current game (mainly what's left of the statline, the base to-hit and to-wound rolls, unit coherency, and a couple other very basic things). Hell, RT had rules for air to air combat between flying aircraft and stats for Dinosaurs.

Experience in any wargame is good and can serve one well in other games, however one must avoid the pitfall of becoming so ingrained in one system that changes to it simply don't compute and cause you to fail over and over with a new edition.

Experience with 3rd and 4th will generally serve one well in 5th, 2nd only for a few basic mechanics, and RT for only some of the absolute barest basics.