PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitor and Daemonunter Super Heavy tanks?

hendybadger
13-11-2009, 14:49
I have started looking into Baneblade variants for my Daemonunters.
The force is led by Hector Rex who has the power to induct any Imperial unit.
This gives me the option of any unit in Apoc without using an Allies force.
And his personnal Kasrkin Stormtroopers will control the 'Blades ect.

But which to go for?
Which variant would look / play better in a Pure Daemonhunter force?

Thoughts, Ideas ect?
And any other Apoc thoughts for the DH are welcome to.

Thanks in advance

LonelyPath
13-11-2009, 16:08
I tend to use a Stormlord alongside my GK and it works pretty well with laying down some extra firepower and serving as a mobile fortress/firing platform for my PAGK to travel about in before disembarking to get into assault. Having said that, I am also partial to the Doomhammer and Stormsword, though the 1 time I used the Banesword I wasn't the impressed even though it gave me some (much) longer ranged firepower. I find shorter to mid-range baneblade variants really help support the army.

hendybadger
13-11-2009, 16:09
I dont really know the difference between them all Im afraid

Ixquic
13-11-2009, 19:09
While it's not Demonhunters, there was a guy who converted up the coolest Witchhunters tank I've seen. It was a Baneblade chassis but he cut up a ton of PVC piping to create an Exorcist styled organ on the back. Then all of the sponsons had Imolator turrets with multimeltas. It was really awesome although he never got around to painting it before moving out of the area.

hendybadger
13-11-2009, 19:37
Sound amazing

Jellicoe
13-11-2009, 19:55
If you have a look in the painting and modelling section of the now sadly semi defunct Dysartes there was a chap there who had built a mobile cathedral of faith with immolator and exorcist turrets mounted on a huge tracked chassis - really quite awesome

RexTalon
13-11-2009, 20:11
I dont really know the difference between them all Im afraid

Oh, then you want the Google-sword. Or was it the Yahoo-blade? Either way you'll want to search for Lexicanum... sword... blade...

just go here
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Super_Heavy_Vehicle

hendybadger
13-11-2009, 21:24
Thanks for that

Spider-pope
14-11-2009, 14:57
If you feel like being creative, perhaps create your own datasheet? One idea ive been toying with for my own Daemonhunters was a Stormlord equipped with Psycannon bolts rather than the standard ammunition for the mega-bolter - so AP4 + Ignore Inv. Saves. Of course i'd have to tack on a points increase to compensate. That and find 60 quid to buy the bloody thing.

jeffersonian000
14-11-2009, 20:43
For Tanks, I'd go with a Stormlord, which is basically an oversized Crusader. From a personal stand point, I'd go with a Reaver Titan and use it as a monsterous Draednought.

SJ

Bregalad
15-11-2009, 01:12
In the fluff, a normal GK strike force consists of a 5-man squad. You rarely see something like a full FOC in battle. And an Inquisitor is something different than a 5 star general or field marshal and has more things to do than painting a whole army in Inquisition colours. That's why Inquisition mostly works with Stormtroopers (less baggage and heavy weapons than even normal foot soldiers) which is the exact opposite to a Baneblade batallion. So I can't see a justification of super heavies in an Inquisition or Grey Knight force.

Monster Rain
15-11-2009, 01:30
If an Inquisitor felt he needed a Super-Heavy tank, he'd get one. The fluff is pretty clear that they use whatever tools they need to get the job done.

And 5 man squads? I recall the Daemonhunters Codex having pretty extensive information for collecting an army that's nothing but Ordo Malleus...

RexTalon
15-11-2009, 05:12
If an Inquisitor felt he needed a Super-Heavy tank, he'd get one. The fluff is pretty clear that they use whatever tools they need to get the job done.

And 5 man squads? I recall the Daemonhunters Codex having pretty extensive information for collecting an army that's nothing but Ordo Malleus...

Yea... So GW can SELL MODELS. People were begging for =I=nquisition stuff, especially after the SoB came out. GW saw an opportunity to make another army and more money, but the root fluff still doesn't really support it. Consider Inquisitor Rex. He has a rhino. It would be much more impressive if he ran around in a land raider wouldn't it? But he doesn't, because the idea of packing all this HUGE gear when an Inquisitors job might not call for it is kind of foolish. I'm sure they would be charged with heresy if they decided to take a superheavy tank and paint it in their own colors, because an Inquisitor doesn't fight those kinds of battles often enough. If it's a huge organized foe, all the Inquisitor has to do is tell a detachment of IG to go fight. He doesn't need to repaint the regiment or it's vehicles. That's a waste of the Emperor's paint and valuable time.

Any foe that is going to be fought by a group of such skilled warriors as the GK or an Inquisitor is going to be a single foe or a small group of specific enemies. I can't imagine any planet short of Cadia that would have a regular demonic incursion requiring a large number of GK simultaneously. You gotta remember that demons are busting into real space all over the galaxy and the GK are only one "chapter". I'd imagine they're spread pretty thin.

My opinion is that you can induct what ever you want, but you should stay away from painting IG vehicles in Inquisitorial colors. It just doesn't stand to reason.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 10:35
What else would they use if I wanted to keep away from allied IG?

LonelyPath
15-11-2009, 12:46
You can ally SM into a DH force, but then you can't take Grey Knights. The way to remidy that though is to take Codex SM as the parent list and fill the required FOC slots, then fill up the rest of the points with DH units using the allies rules in C:DH.

meno1
15-11-2009, 13:04
You could also ally with SoB, and use tanks of theirs. What are you trying to achieve though? And why don't you want to ally with IG? Not being critical, just if you answered these maybe people might be able to help you more:)

Bregalad
15-11-2009, 14:31
It is difficult to have IG tanks like the Baneblade in your army without IG ;)
Maybe you should clarify what exactly you want. Is it just that you want to buy and paint a Baneblade in GK colours?

Monster Rain
15-11-2009, 14:43
Yea... So GW can SELL MODELS. People were begging for =I=nquisition stuff, especially after the SoB came out. GW saw an opportunity to make another army and more money, but the root fluff still doesn't really support it. C

First of all, GW's reason for existence is selling models, so I don't really get why you'd be so indignant about it.

Since I'm not really wanting to tempt fate with posting copyrighted material, I'm just going to refer you to page 2 of the Daemonhunters Codex and ask you to justify the latter statement in the quote provided.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 15:14
To answer the questions- I want to create a Pure Daemonhunters army up to Apoc size. Including Super Heavies and Apoc Formations.
This sort of army is rarely seen but has stunning models.
I dont want to allie a different force because so muny people run IG or SM.

That good for an answer?

Bregalad
15-11-2009, 17:40
Then you have to go beyond official background, as fluffy Apocalyse Grey Knight armies consist of ... 2 squads of 5 Grey Knights ;)
And even Marines don't have Baneblades or Titans.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 17:52
Marines arnt allowed to use them. A GK strike force led by and Inq is allowed to use anything he wants

RexTalon
15-11-2009, 19:54
First of all, GW's reason for existence is selling models, so I don't really get why you'd be so indignant about it.

Since I'm not really wanting to tempt fate with posting copyrighted material, I'm just going to refer you to page 2 of the Daemonhunters Codex and ask you to justify the latter statement in the quote provided.

And my point still stands. They want you to buy a whole army and there are people who want to buy whole armies, so they make an army of them. That doesn't mean that every other book out there portrays them in the same light. The root fluff from EARLIER editions shows them as being used in smaller groups. If I had any of my really old rulebooks left (thank you Ebay), I'd point you to similar pages. As it is I could point you toward the GK books Dark Adeptus and Hammer of Deamons, which clearly show them used in squads, even when faced with an entire planet full of "bad guys".

I'm not being indignant either. I'm simply saying that painting a baneblade in GK colors wouldn't really be in keeping with the fluff. OP can do what ever he wants but he was clearly lacking some rudimentary knowledge. Keeping it from him would have been doing him a disservice.

And on that note, OP, someone also constructed a titan to look like a GK, and it looked pretty good. So, do what ever you want, just do it well and nobody will have room to complain.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 20:04
I dont want a GK Baneblade. I dont know where this idea came from.
The closest I would make would be an IST Baneblade. No reason that an =][= section of the IG wouldnt have one

Grimhack
15-11-2009, 20:35
you could make something in line with Yarrick's fortress of arrogance and have an inquisitor lord ride it.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 20:59
That could be good. With his retinue and personnal ISTs?

Bregalad
15-11-2009, 22:10
I dont want a GK Baneblade. I dont know where this idea came from.
The closest I would make would be an IST Baneblade. No reason that an =][= section of the IG wouldnt have one
IST is Inquisition Stormtroopers, a fast light infiltration and assault troop. Giving them a Baneblade is like giving Paratroopers a frigate. Inquisition is a secret police for Christ's sake. In rare cases they recruit IG forces, but they don't paint them in big "Secret Operation" letters. It will just be a normal IG tank within IG forces, painted in IG colours and driven by an IG crew, not by IST infiltration experts.

hendybadger
15-11-2009, 22:17
In a DH force the ISTs are just the basic troops. Not much special about them

Monster Rain
15-11-2009, 23:54
Then you have to go beyond official background, as fluffy Apocalyse Grey Knight armies consist of ... 2 squads of 5 Grey Knights ;)

Is there a source of Canonical Daemonhunters fluff aside from the Codex that I am unaware of?

What is this opinion based on?

According to the Codex it's perfectly acceptable, not to mention characterful, to field an army made up of Grey Knights. It also states that the Chapter maintains a large fighting force on Titan, so it's not unheard of for large GK detachments to exist.

And I thought the question in the OP was whether or not a Daemonhunters army could field a Baneblade. The answer is obviously yes, since they're able to requisition IG units and that's exactly what Baneblades are.

Bunnahabhain
16-11-2009, 00:07
In a DH force the ISTs are just the basic troops. Not much special about them

You seem to have overlooked a minor factor, which I've helpfully highlighted...

Daemon hunters are a very elite army. Even their basic troops are not just grunts.

Super heavies don't belong in an Inq army. You have allied/inducted Guard, Ad mech etc.

You might have the odd one off over the top heavily converted special, but that's in in Inq colours

KingDeath
16-11-2009, 01:05
The DH codex states that some Inquisitors hold privately recruited armies ( in the inducted IG part ). Therefore it would be possible that the Inquisitor ( or make that an inquisitor lord ) managed to aquire one or two superheavies for his personal army, perhaps thanks to good mechanicum contacts or something like that.

If you wish to go that way then i suggest a superheavy which is designed to support infantry, like a Stormsword or even a normal Baneblade. Since true Baneblades are somewhat rare and perhaps out of reach for your Inquisitor's private army a forgeworld Machiarius tank ( perhaps the Vulcan variant? ) would be also possible.

Lord Cook
16-11-2009, 01:39
I want to create a Pure Daemonhunters army up to Apoc size. Including Super Heavies and Apoc Formations.

There's your problem. There's no such thing as a 'pure' Daemonhunters army that includes super-heavy tanks. It's like saying you want a pure Space Wolf army that includes Black Templars. Yes they will fight together on occasion, but the Black Templars are never going to paint their armour grey, grow huge beards and start riding Thunderwolves. That's basically what you're asking.

Now there's nothing in the rules stopping you from doing it, and at the end of the day the vast majority of people (including myself) would still be happy to play you. But it makes no sense. If that's ok for you, then not a problem. However for some people it can be very jarring.

The Grey Knights are the epitome of an elite, light strike force. Their only super-heavy is the Thunderhawk, and presumably the Thunderhawk Transporter variant to carry their Land Raiders. If they want something like a Baneblade, they call the Imperial Guard. For the same reason as why the Imperial Guard doesn't build genetically enhanced troops in aegis-enhanced power armour, carrying Nemesis weaponry. They just call the Grey Knights.