PDA

View Full Version : WTF, FBG 8 coming out? Should I even bother starting? Please let me know how you feel

HsojVvad
13-11-2009, 16:04
Well I just came back into 40K a bit ago. I always loved the Fantasy models but never gotten into the game. I was reading some rumours out in the 40K forum and someone said 8th edtion will be coming out next year. WTF!? Didn't 7th edtion just come out 3 years ago?

So how do you feel about Fantasy in general? How do you feel about 7th edtion rules? How do you feed about the rumours of 8th edtion might be out?

Now that I am finally starting to get back into GW gaming, and was thinking of starting Fantasy should I even bother starting? Should I wait? I started DA, and this was the way everything was suppose to be, and then they changed it, and 40K 5th edtion is so different. I don't want this to happen for me again in Fantasy. I don't want to start a new army, Skaven looks nice, but I would hate to buy a codex, start an army and then a few months later a new edtion comes out, and then I have to relearn the rules, and what I made might not apply to the new edtion.

So what do you guys think? I still have a boxset of Skull pass that came out 3 years ago. What can I sue in there to start an army to have fun with. Will 8th edtion really change that much, do you think from rumours you herd?

Also, is 7th edtion really that bad, that a new editon need to be made so soon. That would mean they started working on 8th edtion, only 2 years after 7th was released. So should I be leary of 7th edtion now? Is it that bad? If it is, how can I trust that 8th will be any better? Should I not even bother with Fantasy and just stick to 40K and LotR?

I just want to do something different. I like 40K, I like LotR, but I would like some Fantasish mini's to pain and what not. I don't mean Fantasy as in GW fantasy, but the realm of fantasy, and the GW mini's are awsome for that. So I might as well stick with the company that helped me with LotR and 40K. What appeals to me are the Lizzards and Skaven. I thought they were the same, but after doing some research, I see they are different.

So what do you guys and gals think?

Abhorash
13-11-2009, 16:22
eh?... If you have fun playing the game, then play it. Don't think too much.

skaven has just been released and will not get new army book in long time, get them if you like em.
It will still be some time before 8th comes out so just enjoy the game...

Lord Malorne
13-11-2009, 16:31
Depends what the next edtition does, if it does anything to damp down certain abilities and make the game more balanced then I will be all for it, if not then it either has to be very fun or it will be a waste of time and money.

Lord Malorneash :p

Ixquic
13-11-2009, 16:41
7th came out about four years ago so it's not that early. Overall the core rules are good with a few exceptions. The problem was that books with severe problems were written and the "vision" changed mid-edition. If you look at the orc and empire book you see expensive cavalry, magic items that aren't super crazy, limited magic standards in units, few army wide rules, etc. Special characters were a little broken but overall power level wasn't much different than 6th edition. Then books started getting crazy stuff that balanced lists couldn't stand up to and now it's almost required to bring a "hard" army or you'll get tabled by an average Demon or Vampire force. The combat resolution system just wasn't designed for the sorts of ridiculous attack output certain units can now dish out (Blood Kights have 5 attacks per model, 3 of which are at strength 7 and the "magic 5" of a fully ranked unit just can't deal with that no matter what it does). The magic system needs to be fully redeveloped as it's currently an all or nothing affair and only dependable when you max it out.

I still like fantasy even with its current flaws but I'm also looking forward to the changes 8th will bring. I doubt that army make up will change that dramatically so anything you put together will be more or less useful and it would probably take a long time for new books to come out anyway. Skaven and Lizards just got their new updates. People are theorizing that certain aspects of the Skaven book are tests for 8th like warmachines being one single model, templates not having partials and phasing out the one shot chariots rule. They seem like a solid army and probably won't have to worry about anything big shaking them up for a while so I wouldn't be scared buying them.

Jind_Singh
13-11-2009, 16:46
Well I think Im looking forward to the new edition simply as Im hoping it has Empire/orcs as starter set (seems to be the given thing maybe?)
If this is the case come next year you can add the new O & G minis to your skull pass set and you'll have an instant 1000pt O & G army - and they should be getting a new book too.
In the meantime I'd say that the actual rulesets will change prob very slightly - I remember a time when they went to extreme with the rule changes between editions and it didnt work out.
7th ed is a nice way to play WFB so Im guessing that they have seen that doenst work too well in 7th and give it tweaks, as well as maybe introduce some new rules all together that will still work with all the current army books.
Dont forget - they are bringing out BEastman in Jan so I strongly feel that the current books will work just fine with the new rules, and then obv will be changed over the next cycle - but slowly as there still a lot of armies that need TLC, Tomb Kings, Ogres, Brets, just to name 3.
Lizard men would be a good bet for you as the book is not even a year old (came out in Jan of 2009), has a solid & updated model range, the range is mostly plastic so easier on the wallet, and 2 battalion boxes gets you a solid core.
Add a stegadon (as 1 centre peice is always nice!) and you got an army to be proud of! THis will take you to around 1500pts which I feel is about the smallest 2 people can play and still have lots of fun, and get a true feel for warhammer.
By the time you build and paint this it'll be close to the new relase date and we'll have more information to make our decisions, you'll have a solid core that wont get outdated, and Bobs your uncle!
Hope that helps (The advice, not Bob being your uncle!)

Orcboy_Phil
13-11-2009, 16:54
If 8th is indeed comming out next year Skaven will be fine, they'll have been written to take advantage of the new rules already as will beasts and possibly Lizardmen as well.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-11-2009, 17:14
I'm quite looking forward to seeing what 8th edition does. IMO 7th edition needs quite a lot of work.

And yes, GW core games recieve a new edition ever 4-6 years it seems, so 8th edition seems to be right on time.

Gaz Taylor
13-11-2009, 17:22
Also, is 7th edtion really that bad, that a new editon need to be made so soon. That would mean they started working on 8th edtion, only 2 years after 7th was released. So should I be leary of 7th edtion now? Is it that bad? If it is, how can I trust that 8th will be any better? Should I not even bother with Fantasy and just stick to 40K and LotR?

GW release a new edition every five years or so (I think it's more like six) and it's something you get used to. The core mechanics of WFB are fine and you'll find that overall the 8th edition will be simular to 7th (so all books are fine) and it'll be tweaks here and there to the game.

If you are interested, get playing and don't worry about it ;)

Bard Harlock
13-11-2009, 17:29
I say if you like Fantasy then yes, get into it. Games Workshop will always be releasing new editions of the game. Every game company does it. It's how they make money. Since you said you like Skaven, you are also in a great deal of luck.

Their 7th edition Army Book just came out last week. It was definitely written with 8th edition in mind. That book should be good for several years to come without major changes.

Speaking of changes, whatever comes, this is still a game where we push little toy soldiers around on a table top. The core of the game will always be maneuvering units and the rules governing that movement and combat. Some things might be adjusted here or there, but in reality, no major rules that force you to re-learn how to play entirely will happen.

So, really, I think there is no better time to learn fantasy in your position than now. Buy the new Skaven Army Book and models and enjoy it. My only advice would be to pick up the Big Red Book used either from a friend, eBay, or some other outlet. I do not think it is sensible to pay full price for a book you'll only be using a few dozen times until the new FB rule book is released.

Best of luck, and happy gaming.

mrtn
13-11-2009, 17:32
If you want to start skaven then your BfSP goblins make very nice skavenslaves. :)

Red Metal
13-11-2009, 18:43
I don't think 8th Edition will really change that much of WFB. I don't think things will be so vastly different as to make the BfSP set useless; since you mentioned having those models, you might want to play a few games with those to help make your decision. Realistically, it's not as though 8th Ed will make basic Dwarf Warriors or Night Goblins radically different; so you shouldn't worry about that. The same goes with army books that have come out recently, like Lizardmen, Skaven, and the upcoming BoC.

If anything a few rules will get tweaked here and there, but nothing that will make you have to throw out a whole unit/army of figures because they're now considered useless. But if you're really worried, just work on some units that have a "safe" look. For example, regardless of any new changes, I can pretty much rely on my Dwarf Warriors with shields to not change so much that I would no longer use them.

HsojVvad
13-11-2009, 18:46
Thank you guys for the very nice posts. I guess I will see if I can find my rule book from SkullPass and put the some mini's together.

Just curious, when you say O & G, is that Orks and Goblins? I thought they were seperate, and never started them. That was one of the reasons for getting Skull Pass. I swear I only got it last year when it came out. My god how has time flies lol. :p

Onidan
13-11-2009, 19:08
Thank you guys for the very nice posts. I guess I will see if I can find my rule book from SkullPass and put the some mini's together.

Just curious, when you say O & G, is that Orks and Goblins? I thought they were seperate, and never started them. That was one of the reasons for getting Skull Pass. I swear I only got it last year when it came out. My god how has time flies lol. :p

You can potentially do an all Orc or all Goblin army afaik, but they share the same book and are the same army ^^

The Red Scourge
13-11-2009, 20:03
8th edition will change nothing.

It will still be a game, where you push around large blocks of little plastic soldiers.

It will still have a poor game balance.

And it will still be great fun :)

Jind_Singh
14-11-2009, 01:38
but see theres not much i want to see changed! i mean what can they change really

1) I think the rule that mounts are affected by the riders psych is lame! Hatred and frenzy passed onto mounts - silly billies!
2) Knights with great weapons should still get plus 2 str on the charge then fall to +1 str
3) Chariots should not be auto-killed by str 7 attacks
4) get rid of the parital hit rule for templates, just be hit or not hit! but then we`d have to really look at it closely as the empire mortar uses big template - thats a lot of hits!!

Not much more really -most tweaks I want to see are in the actual army books, not the core rules, so there I go!