PDA

View Full Version : Im stuck (what army should i collect?

The mysterious man
13-11-2009, 16:38
Im new collecting a army but not to warhammer as i enjoy reading the army books and painting random models for plesure (so im not a total nube I have been lingering around the wfb world now for about 5 years)however someone recently recomended that i should collect a proper army (which i agreed) I have a 50 gift voucher that needs to be spent before december but I am stuck on chosing a army.

In my army i want the models to look good but not be too complicated to paint I also want an army which has magic options and also has some form of shooting such as archers. It alsowould be nice if it had a female to paint as i know all the guys like me enjoy painting "hot babes" I have had a look around various sites and all the armies that are in current production dont realy appeal to me. The only ones that i would actually like to collect are kislev and dogs of war (lol im allways awkward) however i dont want to start buying old models for them and start making up rules so I need someone to help me find a army that is in production! I am open to surgestions.

Jind_Singh
13-11-2009, 16:55
mmm, well you dont give too many openings but what I would say is....

1) You enjoy painting
2) You want easy painting
3) You obv dont mind the human aspect of fantasy (DoW and Kislev)

I would suggest Empire - Why? Easy to paint and collect, the model range is almost entirly plastic so good for the wallet, easy to convert, you can collect so many themed versions that I've seen someones Empire grow to 10,000 points and it could still get bigger by buying new unit types he doesn't currently have.
No 2 Empire lists need every be the same, the army is very versatile, and with some dedication and thinking can actually win solid games too.
The other nice thing is if you slowly start now, by next summer hopefully we'll see the new edition of warhammer come out, and I've a strong feeling it will be Empire v's Orcs so you'll be able to get a new rulebook with about 500pts of new and updated Empire models in a box! And having O & G is always cool and great!
This way you can also paint some ladies - as the brets have nice female figs that you can use as wizards for Empire, or the countess version of a count!

Jind_Singh
13-11-2009, 16:58
and if you enjoy reading you'll be pleased to know the last 4 empire novels from black library were fantastic.

Heldenhammer - legend of sigmar was an OK book overall, nothing too amazing but it was great seeing how he forged the empire
Reiksgaurd - smashing book, just great!

And now the 2nd installment for sigmar (trilogy) has come out, as did the next empire novel - this time focusing on a gun battery!

So lots of good reading stuff to be had

Orcboy_Phil
13-11-2009, 17:00
High Elves and Dark Elves see, to fit the bill here. Both have female models (the oop Handmaidains of the Everqueen and witches as well as wizards) and can be easy to paint especially with the new inks. The only other range with females would be Bretts, who are difficult to paint, and Wood Elves, who have only a couple of female models unless wood is your thing.

Bard Harlock
13-11-2009, 17:37
Dark Elves was my first thought. The models are pretty good. They are not too complicated to paint. They have female models in various stages of undress. They are also pretty good at shooting and have a great magic phase. In fact, they are one of the most versatile armies out right now.

Best of luck and happy gaming.

The mysterious man
13-11-2009, 18:04
Thank you for all your thoughts, i hope i didnt come across as being a bit of a perv for wanting women in the army I just thought that I could create some good fluff thats all!
I also was thinking Dark elves as I realy hate the Empire! I was thinging either Dark elves or Wood elves as I think High elves are a tad cheesy.

Gaz Taylor
13-11-2009, 18:08
I would also suggest Dark Elves as they have shooting, magic, plus "Hot Babes" (Witch Elves)

;)

The Red Scourge
13-11-2009, 20:06
I would stay far away from the darkie emos.

Wood elves on the other hand is filled with women - and effeminate men. And they're great fun and a decent challenge to play :)

Red Metal
13-11-2009, 22:00
Wood Elves are a bit of a challenge to paint (as I'm finding out) and they have female models even in their rank-and-file units; so there's plenty of options there. The Wood Elves also have lots of shooting and a decent Magic phase.

If you really like to paint, I'd also add Brettonians to the list of options, as they're tough to paint and have great looking female characters. They also have an Archer unit and decent Magic.

antin3
13-11-2009, 23:37
You could always make a Kislev army using Empire rules. You don't have to use the old metal models. If you have access to old issues of White Dwarf around the time of Mordheim. One of the Perry twins made a Kislev army using the militia plastic troops and some green stuff. They looked great.

The mysterious man
14-11-2009, 10:01
You could always make a Kislev army using Empire rules. You don't have to use the old metal models. If you have access to old issues of White Dwarf around the time of Mordheim. One of the Perry twins made a Kislev army using the militia plastic troops and some green stuff. They looked great.

Hmm sounds good, I will investigate furthur.

Dai-Mongar
14-11-2009, 10:41
Real men start playing Warhammer with Chaos Dwarfs. :p

xeno106
14-11-2009, 10:50
Real men start playing Warhammer with Chaos Dwarfs. :p

Yea, girls with beards, a dream :rolleyes::angel:

Vermin-thing
14-11-2009, 11:18
Beastmen? Ya know you want over sized goats.