PDA

View Full Version : Are you a One Army person?

Brimweave
13-11-2009, 22:59
Whilst browsing the forums I realised that alot of people have more than one fantasy army they play/collect. Personally I only collect dwarfs and no other army and was wondering if there was anyone else who really only collects one army and their reasons.

I personally only collect dwarfs as I love their lore and I don't really want to buy another army when my dwarfs still need painting. I've created a poll for this as well as it seems appropriate for the topic. Discuss :)

vinny t
13-11-2009, 23:11
Uh, the poll seems locked

And I have about 7 armies because I like the varity of the playstyles and models

Fideru
13-11-2009, 23:12
Yeah. It is.

On topic, Dwarfs and Empire.

Brimweave
13-11-2009, 23:13
Very strange, I didn't personally lock it and I didn't say for it to be locked when I made it.

Jind_Singh
13-11-2009, 23:15
Lets see, stated with Deamons when I got back into the hobby last year as I had a whole bunch of them lying around in my attic from over 10 years ago.
At 1st it was a lot of fun as I was learning how to play again and I had lots of close and exciting games!
But then after 6 months it was over - the DoC were crushing too much, I wasnt having fun, and the fact was 2 equal generals were not getting an equal game...

So I went Orcs & Goblins (My 1st ever army for WFB when I was 18, now 32). But after while I HAD to get Empire as the 2 races are so iconic for me when it comes to WFB so it became Empire too!

And lastly I decided to go with OK - I love the fact that they maybe the worst army out there, bar one or 2, so I want to beat peoples best with my worst! So out came the OK - it was also nice as the OK tie in really closely with both Greenies and Empire so it made sense to collect them.

If I ever did (and doubt it for a long time) I would migrate to a very small Dwarf clansman list (live either in or close to the Empire) and Vampires - as they own a province in the Empire! Same reason I like Skaven as they live UNDER the Empire!

But thats why I dont like the new world armies so much - DE, Lizzies, HE, Tomb Kings - Im an Old world fan myself

Laurela
13-11-2009, 23:16
I'm a three army person. I haven't had much interest in any of the armies outside LM, TK, and Ogre.

Red Metal
13-11-2009, 23:16
I only work on a second army, once I feel the first army is pretty far along. My Dwarf army is up to 2,000+ pts painted, so now I feel like I can start a second army (Wood Elves). The same thing happened when I first started playing WFB a few years back - I built a reasonable O&G army and once that was painted and decent, I built a Bret army.

I don't think I could ever just stick with one army indefinately. I think I'll probably only ever have three armies, at most. Once I get the Wood Elves painted and up to 2,000pts, I'll probably start to think of a third army. For me having something different to play at times really helps keep the game fresh. Dwarves are vastly different from Wood Elves with regards to tactics, models, and painting styles. If I stuck with one army, I'd probably get too bored - I read about guys who have like 5,000pts worth of a given army and I just don't think I'd want to go that route.

Toshiro
13-11-2009, 23:33
I mostly just play my TKs but I also have OnG and I'm planning on a 3rd army, mostly because of the nice look in the shelves :p

haven't decided on the 3rd army yet though, probably empire, brettonia or OK :)

Nals
13-11-2009, 23:34
i have one finished army which is space wolves, then i have several nearly finished armies that include iron warriors, Wood elves and chaos. Although im waiting for the new beast's book to come out before i go back to working on chaos again. I feel like its to hard to stick to one army, i love trying new painting schemes out and converting different minatures to much to stick to one army.

Bloodknight
14-11-2009, 00:28
In WFB, I am a two army person. DoW and Tomb Kings.
I used to have dwarfs, but never got to playing them and thus sold them off. Twice. No joke. ;)

BigbyWolf
14-11-2009, 01:19
Although I've played collected plenty of different armies(currently OnG, VC, BoC and WoC, and previously TK, Empire, Chaos Dwarfs and Woodelves), OnG are my one true love and I would happily drop all the others for them if I could only have one, no matter what the book was like!

mrtn
14-11-2009, 01:28
I'm on my 4th army in three years, all painted to at least 1500 points. I don't doubt that I'll start even more armies in the future.

Atropos
14-11-2009, 02:09
I play Dark Elves and Vampire Counts. They're my two favourite armies. I have played many armies (actually I have Skaven and DoC too, but I don't play with them, they're shelved).
It's DE and VC for me.

Ultimate Life Form
14-11-2009, 02:31
No, no, I still have both arms, nothing's amiss. What? WHAT? You need to talk a little louder, my ears aren't quite as good as they used to be...

Oh, so you want to know how many armies I have? 3 at the moment. However I fear I've bit more than I can chew right now, thanks to GW's release schedule. My first army was LM, so I bought a LM army and started painting. Some time after I took interest in VC. It was around that time that a new book could be seen on the horizon. Well, naturally, I started buying VC models en masse along with the new book, giving me really a lot of work. Then GW decides to update LM, so I have to buy lots of the great new models...

I had no capacity left, and now this... Skaven.... I always wanted Skaven, and when it became known that next after LM was Skaven I decided to take the chance and start Skaven... Now that I have around 400 rats to paint as well, I'm on the brink of suffering a nervous breakdown. Well, at least I'm through with army updates for a long time to come and have enough models to keep me busy for years.

Yeah, you definitely are a minority and having only one army is probably because you are so dwarvish yourself. Well, I don't know about your bodily build, but you see entranced by their way of life, explaining quite a lot. You won't stop working on your army until it's perfect... even if it takes a hundred years (good luck). And it will never be because GW will periodically supply you with new models... a fate worse than death. Let me take a guess by way of a slightly modified quote...

'Dwarves may paint at the speed of stone, but their results are solid.':D

SonofBaharlu
14-11-2009, 02:48
I have only 1. Thats all I'll ever need. I collected Lizardmen back in 1997 and 12 years continuing I still have a huge lizardmen army that I've started to paint up. I've got around 4000 points painted up.

SilentCivilian
14-11-2009, 08:07
Currently i have around 3000pts of BoC. I am about to start a all mounted Lizard men army which with some xmas presents for this army thrown in should see me through until the new beasts book is out. By then i will flip my purchases between the two building each one up a bit more. Hopefully adding new models for beasts and then start adding some foot sloggers for the Lizzies to mix it up a bit with them.

Condottiere
14-11-2009, 08:44
I like to think I collect all armies through the medium of one.

Nezmith
14-11-2009, 08:54
One army, my 2000 point Tomb Kings list.

I'm quite happy with them, so I haven't bothered buying another army, especially with the rumors that the Kings may be getting an update next year... and an update next year definitely requires me to buy more Tomb King minis.

Vogon
14-11-2009, 09:38
I have one main army which is Dark Elves which I've been collecting for quite a long time. During the storm of Chaos event I bought some Daemonettes and mounted daemonettes to add to them for a cult of pleasure army. From there started a Slaanesh Daemons army (with all the converting etc. that involved at the time) which I've added to in dribs and drabs since then but I don't use it that much as it's just broken.

So in effect I have one army that I use/collect but I have another on standby for a bit of variety.

cheers

Vogon

Jind_Singh
14-11-2009, 09:50
I don't think I could ever just stick with one army indefinately. If I stuck with one army, I'd probably get too bored - I read about guys who have like 5,000pts worth of a given army and I just don't think I'd want to go that route.

Ok so I cut out a few phrases there to get these lines out from your post.

With regards to people who get over 5000pts of a given army - for me its because I can't stick with one army, I get bored, so I need to get another one - however, I always seem to like armies which have massive number of unit types- what started as a small DoC became nearly 11,000pts - as I wanted a Khorne list, then I got a Slaanesh list - and with a few Tzeentch/Nurgle models later I'm like....what the Chaos Wastes am I going to do with this damn army?!
Empire - I want to field an all mounted army, but need infantary hordes, I want the fast cav, the warmachines - and dont even get me started on Orcs & Goblins - Gobblin list, Night Gobblin list, Savage Orcs, Orcs, Forest Gobblins to an extent, mounted/foot/warmachine heavy - theres so many endless options that to play one army you end up owning about 5000pts to give you an unlimted army selection at the 2250pt range!!!
Infact I think Ogres is the 1st book I've come aross were the army is not scaleable to larger games, not enough choices to make a horde!

Brimweave
14-11-2009, 11:20
'Dwarves may paint at the speed of stone, but their results are solid.':D

That certainly true for my dwarfs :p

Baggers
14-11-2009, 11:27
I have about 7 armies from different editions of the game, with at least five different incarnations of a High Elf army. :)

I intend to have a decent size army for each army available.

Desert Rain
14-11-2009, 12:11
I started out with lizardmen and switched to High Elves after about 3 years or so, don't really remember. Ever since I've been playing High Elves in 99.9% of my games with the horribly painted lizards sleeping on a shelf in the basement.
Even though I have 2 armies I only paint, collect and game with one of them so I vote for the first option.
When the ToFP is over and I have at least 2000 points of nicely painted high elves, and 2000+ points not very nicely painted high elves I plan to start a new army, whether it will be a return to my Lizardmen or a new force, most likely Warriors of Chao,s only time will tell.

Alathir
14-11-2009, 13:26
I'm a three army person at the moment; Bretonnians, High Elves and Skaven. They all cover vary different playstyles so I cant see myself getting anything more in the near future. Although, the temptation of a 4th army will probably ensnare me eventually...

One army is nice, but I really like to have different playstyles, models and background that I can mess around with.

infectedkisses
14-11-2009, 14:12
at the moment i'm a one army man VC due to the fact i only got back into the hobby few months ago but after have a decent vc army i'll move onto another

Jiggy
14-11-2009, 14:47
I play DoC and WoC and will start BoC on february...I am all about chaos.

Kiyo
14-11-2009, 22:29
Only have one army, and that's Lizardmen. Probally stems from the fact I adored dinosaurs when I was a kid.

Though am thinking about getting the new Tomb Kings. Quite like egyptian stuff.

TrojanWolf
15-11-2009, 11:36
I started Fantasy with WoC, and I now have a little over 4,000pts of them. This month I also started with Skaven, and I plan to add a fair bit to them, especially since I want to have both Throt and Thanquol in the same army.

I'm getting a little tempted by the Wood Elves though, to do an army based on the host of Coeth-Mara.

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
15-11-2009, 11:47
I collect O&G, Empire and dwarfs.
I just can't stick to something as long as i'm not inspired to do it...

brendel
15-11-2009, 12:25
High Elves were my first army, then orcs and goblins then empire have a small WoC force its only two units, I have decided though that I will collect no more models untill I have painted all the models I have now getting there but its a struggel with work, kids and needing to sleep.

vampire dude
15-11-2009, 14:39
skaven and beastmen (well beastmen from february). I dont know why, but im just drawn to these armies.

Skalfgrimm
15-11-2009, 14:55
I try and try to start a new army, you know: Buy models, start asembling models... but I never finish! Invariably I am drawn back to my true love, my dwarf army of 10.000 points and growing.

When the new lizardmen were released I thought "great, I started WHFB with the 5th edition lizardmen, would it not be great to rekindle that interest in 7th?"
But alas, in the middle of converting my new shiny models another thought occured to me... "Hey, I have so many slayer models already, how many more would it take for a whole army of Karak Kadrin?" As it turned out not too many and now I have a whole ******* slayer cult army while my lizardmen still await their assembly and conversion...

So yeah... chalk me up as a "typical" dwarf.

Tokamak
15-11-2009, 15:47
skaven and beastmen (well beastmen from february). I dont know why, but im just drawn to these armies.

A furry! :p

Rolo Ramone
15-11-2009, 16:19
My principal army is Bretonnia (almost 6000pts). I really like it, and I always think about the time when I will have one army for each dukedom. BUT, but brother buy some Orcs&Goblins and never paint them. So, they are in my home now (I never play them).
Recently I buy some old LM models just for fun, because my playgroup alway talk about how ugly those models are. And now Im starting a little 5th LM warband.

infectedkisses
15-11-2009, 18:55
decided once i finish VC i'm going to start OK army

Lordsaradain
15-11-2009, 22:12
I'm certainly not a one army person.
I have
O&G
Empire
Chaos(all three types)
Dark Elves
VC
Ogres...

InsideReticle
15-11-2009, 22:39
Ha... no. One army? I'm at five currently, but I'm trying to get rid of my dwarfs.

Started with the 6ed box set so I had about 500 points of empire and orcs. Then I looked at the models and decided I wanted high elves. Built my high elf force to 10k+, probably 6k of which is not painted. Then I had to go back and finish the empire and orc armies because... well I already had some, right? So 3k of empire and 4-5k of orcs later I decided I was secretly in love with chaos warriors and had been since their new warriors models came out. Bought some plastic kits, traded some dwarfs and bam. I'm at 6k now. I buy everything second hand so I really don't spend that much on the hobby, usually less than 50% retail. I built my first 2000 points of WoC for less than $150.

EmperorNorton
15-11-2009, 23:46
No, I'm not exactly a one army person.

stashman
15-11-2009, 23:51
Got around 7000 pts Orcs and Goblins!

Now I'm trying to do a Skaven army! (all other attempts with other armies was failed)