PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer skirmish?

Mabus
14-11-2009, 10:11
Hello guys and gals, Mabus here again with yet another newbie question for you all!

Prepare yourselves, here is comes!

I'd like to get into Warhammer skirmish as it sounds quite fun. The problem is, I'm a relative newbie to Fantasy. Where can I find rules for Warhammer Skirmish? Are there still dedicated rules for it? If so, would you please elaborate and/or provide links.

*Mordheim does too but I'm not keen on shelling out for the rulebook, so don't suggest reading into it.

Thanks, Mabus

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
14-11-2009, 10:29
GW stopped supporting Warhammer Skirmish when they re-maked their website.
They only have one skirmish scenario left, the 'Ziggurat of Doom' scenario. Go to Warhammer + Articles + gaming + Ziggurat of Doom.
Thats the only skirmish they still support, but I've written a skirmish campaign if you're interested...

Dai-Mongar
14-11-2009, 10:38
They put out a small book for Skirmish, dunno if it had all the skirmish rules. It was pretty much a simplified version of Mordheim, so I'd say just download Mordheim FOR FREE from the GW site.

brynolf
14-11-2009, 11:58
IIRC, the Skirmish rules are included in the 6th ed core book, which you can find cheap on ebay.

Mabus
14-11-2009, 14:11
Thanks for the response guys, it's appreciated. I'm a little disappointed however. WH Skirmish sounds really fun, it's a shame it's not better supported.

I didn't know Mordheim was available freely, thanks for the advice, Dai-Mongar.

@Hrokka `Eadsplitter - Yeah, drop me a PM or include a link. I really would like to check it out ....

@brynolf - Yeah, I considered that, but I'm too cheap!

Stuffburger
14-11-2009, 14:31
If you want a small scale game of warhammer I'd highly recommend the warbands rules instead of skirmish- I've played it and frankly it doesn't work well. Mordheim is another good choice.

mweaver
14-11-2009, 15:10
The little skirmish book should not be expensive to pick up on eBay. But it was basically a slightly simplified version of Mordheim, as Dai-Mongar says. However, scenarios made up the bulk of the WH skirmish book, so it probably is worth hunting up a copy.

Mabus
14-11-2009, 15:57
Hmmm, alright, thanks guys. I'll have a look on ebay....

Whitwort Stormbringer
14-11-2009, 21:03
On Mordheim - even if you're not looking to get into campaign play one-off battles are easy enough and there's tons of material available for free on the GW website.

Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum has some other resources and is a pretty good Mordheim community in general.

Mabus
15-11-2009, 16:56
Thanks for the insight, Whitwort Stormbringer. I'll look into it.

I've just glanced through all the posts here again and noticed Stuffburger's reference to the "warbands rules". Would anyone care to shed some light on these rules to which I am completely ignorant of?

mweaver
15-11-2009, 17:24
The Warband rules are for playing WH games with small armies, c. 250-500 points. So it is still about combat between units (but minimum sizes of many units have been changed, along with other alterations to make small battles work).

Here is a link to the pdf file:

http://www.leeds-nightowls.co.uk/downloads/whfb-warbands.pdf

Mabus
15-11-2009, 17:48
Thank you muchly, the link is most appreciated!