PDA

View Full Version : HE "wishlist" for 7th Edition - PART1 (s'very long!)

HE_bloke
25-01-2006, 03:28
Goodbye Warseer

CuLane
25-01-2006, 07:03
Wow, I'm new around here so maybe I don't get how this works, but it seems like you want improvements in all your units? You want better archers... same spearmen... better seaguard... more options for your Silver Helms... better dragon princes... more chariots... improved options for your combat heros... no loss to your mages... better phoenix guard with more options... white lions with more options... Alrighty then.

DrCamf
25-01-2006, 07:37
seems ok and like the idea of the units having more options, but just don't think this will happen since GW has taken away most choices for the HE units, and don't think there will be a new book i many years to come, since development follows the figures and the trend is to do the armies with few plastics choices in core, and all of HE core is plastic.

Frecus
25-01-2006, 09:11
The one idea I think is quite good is the last one from the first post (didn't really read the 2nd, but looking at the replies, probably nothing new). Paying points to get rid of (most of) I@C while kinda respecting the rule otherwise (when there's 4 mages, they'll row until one has slapped he others away for sure).

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Gorbad Ironclaw
25-01-2006, 09:22
I don't see why I@C should be there in any form. It doesn't really make any sense, it doesn't add anything, and it's just a huge pain. Just get rid of the damn thing.

Baindread
25-01-2006, 09:38
Wow, I'm new around here so maybe I don't get how this works, but it seems like you want improvements in all your units? You want better archers... same spearmen... better seaguard... more options for your Silver Helms... better dragon princes... more chariots... improved options for your combat heros... no loss to your mages... better phoenix guard with more options... white lions with more options... Alrighty then.

That's because improving all HE units won't unbalance the game.

Olith
25-01-2006, 12:15
I don't see why I@C should be there in any form. It doesn't really make any sense, it doesn't add anything, and it's just a huge pain. Just get rid of the damn thing.

Agreed. Too many wishlists/revisions try to alter it when it can just be removed. I've only ever played one game with it, and I've played alot, and no one has ever said it felt unbalanced.

There are some nice ideas here and your house system is a step in the right direction, however it is not that much better than the current 0-1 on half the army. An army book should give a player alot of food for thought when composing his army. Currently the High Elf book doesn't do this. There are units like Sea Guard, Archers (for the most part), Phoenix Guard and White Lions that because of their rules or being rare choices along side other far better choices are hardly ever seen on the battle field. Your house system keeps this in place still. I'll approach from a competative attitude because thats how the majority play. There seems no reason for me to take white lions or phoenix guard over eagles and bolt throwers still. The houses may also be too restrictive, in fact it may be worse than the current 0-1 system, when it comes to army selection overall. Currently you can field 6 of the 8 units that are limited by your house rules in a 2000 point army. Your system reduces that number to 4 and then only if I take 4 characters and only 4 different choices if I take only 1 mage.

As I said though, it's a step in the right direction. I am a big supporter of White Lions becomming a useful unit by being scouts/skirmishes so I like that, and I am also intersted in seeing multiples of support units that currently are limited with the awful 0-1 tag. Needs some work though, but at least you are approaching it in the right way. Nearly all High Elf "wish lists" are for revisions to the High Elves, based on the Dark Elves getting revised. High Elves need a rewrite, which you seem to be attempting, rather than a revision.

athamas
25-01-2006, 12:20
on the line of the small elite units, IMO it should be 1+ the number you are allowed, this menaing that you could have a unit of swordmasters without having either of the required units, but then for each extra one you have to have the relevent people, its abit kinder and is not so restrictive on slightly larger games where something like a dragon is taken, thus reducing the number of heros you can take to get the relevent units!

Major Defense
26-01-2006, 02:47
I have learned to embrace many of the quirks (6 point bows?!?) and oddities (Phoenix Guard = GNDN) of the High Elf army. For all of the obvious weaknesses of the list, the strengths can be some of the best in FB once you learn how to use them right. The only change I really want to see in the next edition is to get rid of I@C. It sucks for it's own reasons AND it ruins the White Lions.

foehammer888
26-01-2006, 17:39

Simple solution I've suggested before, have I@C determine who gets the "Pure of Heart" honor rather than who is the army general. The troops will still follow the most capable leader (ie your general), but the enemy will get bonus victory points for killing the character who was put in charge (ie the pure of heart character).

Characters - I would allow an honor without magic item deductions

Core - a few point adjustments to archers in particular, make seaguard a 1-for-1 upgrade to spearmen like orc big-uns and dwarf longbeards, allow 1 unit of silverhelms to be upgraded to Dragon prices for +x points, gaining a few stat bonuses, dragon armor, and magic standard. The unit will then be a special choice.

Special - move swordmasters to rare, but Bolt throwers to special, restricting them to Y many per 1000 points in the army (Bolt throwers don't belong in rare, as every elf army has them, which causes issues with selection of other rare units).

Rare - all the elite infantry + eagles. White lions always stubborn, immune to fear and terror with the general. Sword Masters are good, have no idea what to do with pheonix guard.

A few Ideas

Foehammer

Petey
01-02-2006, 07:21
Look, intrigue at court is a rule that all high elf players hate, but as a high elf player, it isn't that bad. There should be more odd rules like it, not less (OandG annimosity comes to mind).
On the other note, why do all high elf player want to escalate the army to uncalled for extremes. WHEN the new HE book comes out, it will follow the status quo for all the other books and come into line with how things are currently being done. You ll see something similar to the house idea, I ll bet, and they ll give you the option to take more than 0-1 of the special units for each character with the honor or house associated with the troup type, but i don't bet we ll see Ithilmar armor coming back or those crazy S+3 lances (way too broken) making it in. They've followed this pattern in Brettonia (pegasus knights) and in Dwarves (slayers), and I'ld imagine it will continue with all the other books we're bound to get.