PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Comp Scoring?

jthdotcom
14-11-2009, 15:31
How does this work!!??

I want to try my luck at a few tournaments, but want a decent comp score, how does the scoring system work?

Atropos
14-11-2009, 15:58
It doesn't work the same way for every tournament, but the basics are the same, try to avoid overpowered lists, min-max and all that stuff.

Desert Rain
14-11-2009, 19:36
http://atlantis.sverok.net/WPS/RT_WPS_Comp.pdf

Check the above link for the WPS comp system, one of the many different ones out there. This one is made by some Swedish guys and is updated regularly.

Slacker
14-11-2009, 21:20
How does this work!!??

I want to try my luck at a few tournaments, but want a decent comp score, how does the scoring system work?

There's no single comp judging system. In the Northeast US alone there's several major tournaments and they all use different variants of comp judging. Your best bet is to ask yourself "If I had an average army, would there be absolutely no way to deal with my army?", avoid doubles of things like Steam Tanks, Hydras, nasties like that, and if you're playing Demons or Vamps, accept you're going to get banged on comp, because your army is in fact that bad.

Skyth
15-11-2009, 00:00
Your best bet is to ask how (or if) comp is going to be judged for each event. If it's opponent judged, I wouldn't bother going to the tournament. If it's judged, find out the judge's bias's...And ask around with people who went to the event before to see if there's 'home cooking' of the soft scores.

The whole 'if I had an average army' thought train doesn't work, as what is average is increadibly subjective.

The only really worthwhile comp system is a checklist that is pre-published as that has the bias's out there for everyone to see so can't be abused by people who don't like your army. If people abuse the checklist, then the checklist needs to be adapted. I do like the WPS one though :)

Gaz Taylor
15-11-2009, 11:49
Depends on the event to be honest. Comp in the UK is now going down the route of a list of things to avoid or not to take and you get full points (or allowed to enter the event). Your best bet is to look at the rules pack for an event you are going to and see what you need to do.

lopezpie
15-11-2009, 19:18
God i cant stand comp scores sometime i think it can take away from the competive spirit of tournaments when i face armies i wanna play against the absolute toughest things they can throw at me cause it makes me grow as a player and look for ways around it

i just think its lame to penalize any good item in a army book