PDA

View Full Version : need help transporting army through airport

lopezpie
14-11-2009, 16:15
for ard boyz im taking my dark elves and using the big gw case 90.00

now should i strap on or tape the box i dont trust those latches will they rip open the tape?

im afraid it may be to big to carry on

what have you guys done to make sure they are ok or do you have any suggestions on what to do? thanks :)

Refardeon
14-11-2009, 16:35
The big case is indeed to big to be carried as carry-on. Just usually they open only cases with forbidden items inside, exemplary lighters. You should check out if there are any restrictions especially on US airports ( I'm working in EU airport, so can't help on with US restrictions )
But if you only put the figures in the case, then wrap it with a layer of plastic or two you should be fine.
just don't put items like glue or paint, esp. sprays, in the case.

Greetz Refardeon

lopezpie
14-11-2009, 17:00
wow thank you by layers of plastic what do you mean

Rogue
14-11-2009, 17:43
I would definately figure out a way to carry on your models either by borrowing another case or figuring out a way to make a new one. No matter if you take the case as a carry on or not, I would not be suprised if the will be searched. In that case it would be better for you to be there so that you can watch what they do and tell them about the fragility of the items. I would also not take any paint, glue or any other liquid even if it is under the oz limit.

I took a case of bagpipes through the security of OHare last year, and while they had no problem with what I was taking, I was still searched. Searching me and the set happened before 9/11 so I am used to it. I am quite certain that you wont have a problem once they see that these are miniatures. Also if you have the time to visit the airport during the slow part of the day, bring the case and ask them how to best go about taking this through. That is what I did as well and they had no problem talking with me. TSA does say when in doubt to go ahead of time and ask.

Bathawk
14-11-2009, 19:40
O'Hare? please tell me your not flying United

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

PeG
14-11-2009, 20:25
If you have lots of metal models they are likely to cause a search but I would do my best to avoid checking in your models. Luggage do get lost and there are lots of hours invested in an army. This means that you need to pack them so that the bag can be opened in security and easily closed again ie no tape.
Dont put anything sharp or liquid together with your models since these items are not allowed in carry on luggage (liquids are OK if packed according to instruction and showed in security)

As for differences between US and European airports the main difference is that you can usually get away with a lot more carry on in the US.

piperider361
14-11-2009, 21:30
Having worked in airport security in the past, I can assure you your models WILL be searched if taken carry-on, and will say with 90% certainty that they will be destroyed (Not by security, but by the baggage systems) in checked luggage. Carry-on is your best bet, but plan the extra 15-20 minutes to spend while they take a look at them.

lopezpie
14-11-2009, 22:47
thank you all so much im going to move them to a smaller case. and do a carry on thank you! :)

lopezpie
14-11-2009, 22:59
i just checked southwest there carry on is 10x16x24 not sure how big that is