PDA

View Full Version : Human Berserker

Etienne de Beaugard
14-11-2009, 16:50
After seeing these Viking Plastic Minis (http://www.wargamesfactory.com/_product_16676/Vikings_8-Figure_Set), I decided to cobble together some stats for vikings in the SBG. While most of the stats came together fairly easily, I would like to include a Berserker as a warrior.

Below is my take on this Berserker. I would like the berserker to potent, without being entirely inhuman. I would also like the model to be balanced in the game.

Stats: 4/4+ 4 5 2 1 5
Comes with hand weapon. Option at standard human warrior prices for shield, two-handed weapon, and throwing spears.

Special Rule: If the berserker can charge an enemy model, they must do so. If multiple enemy models are in charge range, they can chose which enemy to charge.

Comments please?

jaws900
14-11-2009, 20:27
that could work. However i would suggest calling them "Naked Fanatics" as that is often what barbarian cultures had back then and they really where blood thursty. So maybe a lower armour to reposent little/no armour but a insane courge (5 or 6), Strong fighter with high strength and fight. You could also do a Fanatic champion who may be like this.

5/- 5 5 3 2 6 - 2 2 0
Equipend with a broad swrod(Hand weapon) and may buy a two-handed sword for 5 pts.

Special rules;
Blood Lust - If a Fanatic can charge an enemy they he must do so. If there is more than 1 enemy he is able to charge you may chose.
Adrenaline - Fanatics are so entraced by the fight that they feel little or no pain. If a Fanatic would lose a wound roll a D6. On a 6 the wound is ignored just as if fate had been rolled. You may still use fate normally afterwards.

You could apply both rule to the men. Tho if you do i would feel that there points should be about 14 rather than 12. Also Fanatics/Berserkers rarely took shields into battle and would almost never take throwing spears but they might take slings with them which could have the following profile.
Range - 12"
Strength - 2
May not volly fire, Work like bows execpt they may charge in the turn they use a Sling but may not use a two-haned weapon that turn. (A.K.A they may move up to half and still charge)

this will give them a nice historical factor

Etienne de Beaugard
14-11-2009, 20:47
Thanks for the comments.

The high defense is not for armor. It takes into account the berserker being amped up on adrenaline (and if certain theories are believed, hallucinogenics as well) and does not introduce more rolling or more special rules into the game. This same mechanic was used with the Uruk-Hai Berserker.

From what I dug up in books in the library, a Berserker might well use a shield (else how could they 'bite' them) and several groups specifically used spears as their weapon of choice. Since a traditional LotR spear seemed uncharacteristic, throwing spears was the next best option. I will consider leaving any spear option out.

What are your thoughts on the current points cost?

jaws900
15-11-2009, 07:39
12 points does seem a little too cheap but then againt they have a negative ability but that not much. It just means that they won't stay on castle walls and will often be jumping of the battlements. I could see the Bersekers using axes or maybe throwing axes as that would suit them very weel as a bERSERKER WOULD BE IN THE COMBAT QUICK SO WOUNDN'T WANT THE SPEAR TO SLOW HIS MOVEMENTS SO WOULD TAKE A BUNCXH OF AXES(Sorry about the caps lock)

Kroot Lord
19-11-2009, 06:20
You guys are being sucked into the vortex of creating your own rules.

At the moment, the Uruk-Hai berserker is the only berserker in the game. Considering humans are much less stronger than them, you should take your stats from him as a starting point, then drop his courage down to three, and his defence down to five. Give him a single rule: when charging a creature that causes Terror, he may charge him without checking if he passes his courage test. Knock off two points, and you've got your unit.

Maybe not as spectacular as your creations, but a lot more feasible.

jaws900: Rome: Total War much? ;)

jaws900
19-11-2009, 07:53
jaws900: Rome: Total War much? ;)

You could tell then :D

Etienne de Beaugard
23-11-2009, 22:11
At the moment, the Uruk-Hai berserker is the only berserker in the game. Considering humans are much less stronger than them, you should take your stats from him as a starting point...

If you do a quick comparison of my original idea, that is similar to what I did.