PDA

View Full Version : Am I The Only Person With This Habit?

mcflurry
14-11-2009, 20:02

Urath
14-11-2009, 20:13
I effectively gave up the hobby during my final two years of secondary school; I'd come out of my shell, I was at parties; out every day after school/coursework and during the day, I had a succession of different girls on the go and all sorts of things. Before that, I was the typically quiet, intelligent guy who pays attention and doesn't ruffle anyone's feathers; I still kept to my studies, but it took the backseat to the madness that had overtaken me.

Then came Sixth Form; I got drunk in college and then left. I had a year or so with very little to do, apart from work, so I decided it'd be a good idea to dig up my Chaos Space Marines and repaint them as Iron Warriors. I didn't game at all, or buy anything new; instead I just went over my entire army. It was good, I felt back to normal after two years of 'Chaos'.

Murdoch
14-11-2009, 20:15
Absolutely not, I have two modes. Painting and guilt... Both normally take over for 6 months at a time, I am in a transitional period at the mo... Have painted 20 or so guard in the last month...

Lord Inquisitor
14-11-2009, 20:24
you may find that sixth form a great place to meet fellow wargamers and enjoy your hobby without needing to worry about what people think. My sixth form had a wargaming club anyway.

Urath
14-11-2009, 20:29
you may find that sixth form a great place to meet fellow wargamers and enjoy your hobby without needing to worry about what people think. My sixth form had a wargaming club anyway.

Aye; the Luton Sixth Form had some people that were once into the hobby, but are no longer. That was the best it could manage.

My Sixth Form isn't that... understanding... :P

Do you really care what people think of you?

Urath
14-11-2009, 20:34
If a girl is that disgusted by it, then she's not worth it. If you get to know someone first and then mention it or whatever, it'll be fine. I've never met a girl who's turned her nose up at it; although, I'd usually mention after a while.

Grimbad
14-11-2009, 20:37
Like all my hobbies, yeah, Warhammer fluctuates just about monthly between four states- painting focused, modeling, gaming, and no activity.

dblaz3r
14-11-2009, 21:18
My Sixth Form isn't that... understanding... :P

How many people do I see or associate with from my sixth form year or school for that matter?

None, it's a big world out there. Dictate how you live your life, don't let others do it for you.

On topic: I have slow patches every now and then but that's mostly because I'm busy studying or travelling. Mainly just taking a rest from my busy patches. :)

Tiller5
14-11-2009, 21:39
Yes, there's no reason to feel ashamed about wargaming, its something you enjoy, its creative, you meet people as a result of it, its a lot more social than some hobbies in this day and age.

To answer your question, I often suffer from this habit, in fact I have now gone nearly a whole year without having touched my models or tools, and even longer since I last tried to paint something. I've found that university and Call of Duty take up that time in England, and here in France I just can't take any with me due to weight restrictions.

Dr.Clock
14-11-2009, 21:44
I'll jump in behind all those who say you should do what makes YOU happy.

I think it's all a matter of how you express it.

Here in Canada, wargaming is quite a fringe thing. I usually preface my 'admission' to this hobby by noting that it beats the socks off videogaming. Also, my parents, though very liberal, didn't keep broadcast television or any videogames in the house until I left home.

Living in a small village in rural Ontario, combined with the above, made my choices for entertainment very small. Basically: reading and models.

Wargaming is a) artistic b) imaginative c) meticulous d) productive. Even though you shouldn't have to rationalize your hobby to anyone, I think you'll find that if you truly love the hobby, you'll get really good at defending it as opposed to, say, videogames, which are none of the things I list.

If you need to down-play your hobby, do so. It is, after all, a hobby - not the centre of your life. Nobody likes the guy who freaks out about about football, all the awesome music he listens to or movies he watches all the time - girls included.

In sum, it is possible to be a hobbyist without being a massive geek (not that there is anything bad about that) about it. People who make snap judgements about how people spend their private time do not make good friends. If the hobby steer a few chuckleheads out of your path, take it as a blessing.

I also go through periods of relative disinterest. Part of allowing inspiration to strike is knowing when you need a break. Forcing yourself into anything is a bad idea.

But don't sell your models (unless it's for some that you want even more). You may come back to them.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Necro Angelo
14-11-2009, 21:44
Well you're definately not the only person as your self-description fits me exactly. I'd say its a lot better than some of the people who practically live in GW's.

Lion El Jason
14-11-2009, 21:55
Honestly, yes. The mention of tabletop wargaming is like industrial grade women repellent. :D

No way man, chicks dig toy soldiers!

The Guy
14-11-2009, 21:59
I do too. I usually repaint a load of stuff, go on a binge of buying loads, feel incredibly ashamed of all the money spent and then go into relapse.

It's a bit too common as well :(

Lion El Jason
14-11-2009, 22:10
'Can I park my Spear of Sicarius in your Hive City' = not laid. :P

Well that's just that women don't like chat up lines... nothing to do with 40k.

I've gotten dates in the past from the merits of warhammer.

Dr.Clock
14-11-2009, 22:12
It's true: the best women are the ones who think it's kinda cool even if they don't necessarily want to join in and build an army.

My girlfriend was blown away by all the time and detail I lavish on my show-pieces (even though they aren't GD standard by any means) but balks at the idea of starting her own army as she really dislikes guns (?).

This hobby shows that you are committed, focussed and creative - as well as willing to invest time in something and defer gratification.

Shallow girls will dismiss your 'lame'ness. The keepers will see it in a positive light. Again, as long as it is but one aspect of your well-rounded persona and life. Don't bring it up immediately as a 'confession' if you're worried... let it be something they 'discover'. By the time you're showing someone your 'inner sanctum', you should be pretty much in no matter what. The discovery of a well-kept, neat, colourful hobby could be just the thing to soften your image and make you more approachable.

Arty chicks rule. The priggish shallow types can take a long walk of a short pier for all I care.

If you are a 'closet' gamer who is frustrated at having to 'hide' this will make you awkward anyway... and women respect confidence. If you worry about it, it's a problem... once you stop worrying about it, it won't affect how you deal with people socially.

This hobby is not a big deal. Be quick to say 'it's not for everyone'... it isn't. Focus on the positive things and discuss it abstractly... people by and large don't care about the lineage of your Chapter Master. But the discussion about the hobby in general as a contrast to other hobbies is an interesting one to have that doesn't lord your nerddom over anyone.

In sum, it is very possible that you're hanging out with the wrong women. Find new ones.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Raka
14-11-2009, 22:29
My room has my computer desk with paint and bits on one side, 2 shelfs of my bookcase with models on, and paints on top of my drawers and... space hulk is sitting in my car.

If anyone asks 'whats that' i say toys, i paint and sculpt a bit. Its called warhammer.

So yeah, while I would very rarely mention warhams to people who I don't have in my room looking at it, it's not something I hide. If I was as good as Georc's... then I may well have painted/sculpted figs stuck to my dashboard :)

What are you doing? Well im trying to paint aliens that look sinister and moody, like in a factory with red lights and shadow. This one has come out well, this one needs fixing.

I wouldnt say TYRANIDS IN A MANUFACTORUM. But i think it :)

MistaGav
14-11-2009, 22:38
I've done it plenty of times in the past. Just sort of stopped and then picked it up again a couple months later usually because of painting fatigue more then anything else.

The only people who ever really give me slack about my hobby is my family especially my sister but the thing is I say to her too 'it's just a hobby'. Heck my dad races motorbikes round a track and has broken several bones and to him that's his hobby. The great thing about being at uni is that you meet so many different people, here we have a roleplaying club with a bunch of people that play magic, roleplaying and a few board games which is great. There is also a GW so I can go down and actually play games of 40k. Yet through all of that I still manage to go out about 3-4 times a week with other people and party and not feel ashame about it...after all it is just a hobby nothing else.

Warpcrafter
14-11-2009, 23:31
I quit in disgust when 3rd edition came out, and didn't come back until 4th. Now I'm on the fence, thinking about jumping ship to AT-43. By the way, what's Sixth Form? Is it a British name for something everybody else has too?

Raka
15-11-2009, 00:16
Second to last year of high school. 17years, i believe (at least its like that in New Zealand)

spetswalshe
15-11-2009, 00:52
I effectively gave up the hobby during my final two years of secondary school; I'd come out of my shell, I was at parties; out every day after school/coursework and during the day, I had a succession of different girls on the go and all sorts of things.

I did pretty much the same thing, except for having girls on the go, unless on the go means away from me. Things like alcohol and drugs felt more important. Then, a few years ago, I got back into it. It's debatable whether a perenially-sober adult warhammer-obsessive is a step up, but at least I'm not trying to be cool anymore. I think taking up the hobby again was actually a conscious decision to shed the whole charade of being a tough, sexually active drug-using maverick who plays by his own rules.

Of course, given that now I don't drink, take drugs, get into fights or hit on women, I actually am a maverick who plays by his own rules. I like to think one day society will realise that I'm actually very cool indeed.

edit; Sixth Form is from 16-18 years old, where you do A-Levels. Secondary school ends at 16 here, but most people go on to a Sixth Form College, and it's pretty much required if you want to go to university. It can be confusing for Americans and others, because what we call 'college' is the precursor to uni, not uni itself - just imagine the last two years of high school and you're probably fine.

Lion El Jason
15-11-2009, 00:53
We finish our equivalent of American "High School" here at 16. Optionally at 17-18 we do A levels for 2 years at a 6th form college. It's basically between high school and university.

Brother Enok
15-11-2009, 02:41
While the number of females in my life is perhaps limited (Im not sure of others for comparison) of the three I know, one thinks it's sweet, one dosn't care either way and the last plays DnD anyway.
Thier opinions matter greatly to me, and I love them all dearly, but if they thought I was a complete geek for doing it, I wouldn't stop.
Actually, I'd probably do it more to spite them.

Also, best to avoid comparing a ladys anatomy to a Hive city. Think about that one for a second...Ick.

pom134
15-11-2009, 02:46
Wargaming is a) artistic b) imaginative c) meticulous d) productive.

Very well put. I'll have to bring that up next time I catch some crap for it.

Whitehorn
15-11-2009, 02:49
Well, it's been a while. Essentially, am I the only person who will do the hobby for a few months, then totally ignore it, then dabble in it again, and so on and so forth?

I recently started Sixth Form so I was hoping for the new start and all that, which also included not being pegged as a geeky saddo again, so I got out of the game. Have you ever given up the hobby, and if so, why? Prices? Personal life? Work?

I gave it up for 5 years when I went to University as there was no local store or club. I wasted my time on World of Warcraft and played Magic: the Gathering competitively. I'm glad to be back and in the hobby stronger than ever!

ColonalKlink
15-11-2009, 03:10
just thought i would mention this habby got me my wife... seriously, I was fart arseing around at a club and a mate of mine dared me to tell a girl i was into Geek workshop (its what he calls it) so (very drunk) i walkied up to a beautifull girl (she is next to me lol) and said
"hey i play with toy soldiers, wanna dance?" to say the least she laughed her **** off and told me i was very funny, the rest they say is history :P

p.s she no longer thinks im funny

kormas
15-11-2009, 04:11
well i know that almost every chick in my year knows that i play 'warhammer' they dont know precicly what it is, and that is fine by me. but they really dont care, i have found that as long as you dont talk about it non stop people just dont realy care about it. and i am at least friends with most of teh chicks in my year so it really isnt a bit problem as long as you dont make a big thing of it

Tokugawa100
15-11-2009, 04:33
If a girl is that disgusted by it, then she's not worth it. If you get to know someone first and then mention it or whatever, it'll be fine. I've never met a girl who's turned her nose up at it; although, I'd usually mention after a while.

Agreed, Ive met plenty of girls who find it fun, interesting or just plain acceptable.
Ive also met plenty who find it weird but they dont care.
If you meet a girl and give up your hobby and thats the sole basis of the relationship, it will grow into bitterness, a feeling of inadequacy and frustration that you dont have the rite to enjoy what you want.

Messiahnide
15-11-2009, 13:58
I dropped out for 3 - 4 years, maybe 5........cant remember too much drinking :D

Parties and women became my sole focus and then once I got it out of my system I came back to the hobby for something to take up my spare time again, that and video games.

I know a few women who play aswell but when my missus first came to my flat she just asked what all those gremlins in the corner are for and I said oh there games workshop models and she was like my mate ben used to do that and said no more on the subject, except now i get WTF why have you bought more gremlins when those ones havnt been painted yet lol

Lars Porsenna
15-11-2009, 17:07
I know a few women who play aswell but when my missus first came to my flat she just asked what all those gremlins in the corner are for and I said oh there games workshop models and she was like my mate ben used to do that and said no more on the subject, except now i get WTF why have you bought more gremlins when those ones havnt been painted yet lol

I resolve that problem by keeping my workbench in the basement, and we maintain (by mutual agreement) seperate bank accounts for "fun" money, so she never needs to know what I spend my fun money on... :)

Damon.

chadenej
15-11-2009, 22:06
I started this hobby 5 years ago, when I was convalescent after a bad motorbike crash (nearly lost a leg!), during long afternoons of winter. I got better in spring/summer and stopped all that stuff, I owned at this time only a few Tau and some Guardsmen.

I don't know how this season pattern have been "imprinted" on my hobby habits, but I never touch a brush or a cutter in summer, and become frenzy in fall/winter.