PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Empire RT

Buddha777
14-11-2009, 20:43
I'm going to try my luck with my empire at the next RT commin up. I'd like to be as competitive as possible without being to OTT. There are some nasty lizardman, skaven, and demon players at my club so I tried to make the best all-comers list possible. Please let me know what I can improve on.

Heroes: 444
Captain (133): BSB, Shroud of Magnus, Full Plate Armor

Warrior Priest (98): Greatweapon, Heavy Armor

Priest (115): 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core: 944
10 Hand Gunners (103): Marksman W/ Hochland Long Rifle

24 Swordsmen (169): Full Command
9 Swordsmen (54)

9 Swordsmen (54)

6 Knights (146): Musician

Special: 551
17 Greatswords (200): Full Command
9 Swordsman (54)

Pistoliers (97): Musician

Great Cannon (100)

Great Cannon (100)

Rare: 300
Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2239
3PD/5DD

Minigiant
15-11-2009, 07:47
I dont think you need that many cannons and a steam tank, so i would drop one and change another to a Mortar. With the spare points i would add a unit of pistoliers then try and add archer skirmish screen detachments for your block units

Crube
15-11-2009, 09:13
The only thing I don't like is the Greatswords, and maybe one of hte cannons...

I'd be inclined to drop the GS, and a cannon, replace them with a pair of Mortars, and then go for Pistoliers and archers as Minigiant has suggested...

This would give you some offence against horde armies (such as skaven) as a couple of templates can potentially decimate large units. You already will have enough cannons to deal with knights etc.

The Archers can be useful. I like to upgrade them to HUntsmen, and use the scout ability, but opinion is divided on this.

If you can find the points, some missile detachements are useful. Being able to stand and shoot without the usual penalty can really help. Even a couple of detachments of 5 handgunners or crossbows would help.

I like the idea of running with 2 lots of Vanilla Knights, not something I've done personally, but could work well...

Just my thoughts anyways,

Good luck

Buddha777
15-11-2009, 18:16
Thanks for all the great advice and comments.

I kinda have to keep my Greatswords cause I love the models and they form such a great anchor to my line. However is there a particular reason you had in mind on why I should drop them?

I know mortars are great against horde armies (and I know some skaven players with the new book will be showing up) but I play with people who love big creatures (greater demons, stegadons, and from what I hear doomwheels and plague furnaces as well) so I'd like to keep the heavy firepower.

I think I will drop one cannon for some pistoliers and I edited my list above.

I'd love to put an archer detachment screen for my units but I'm lookin at 120pts (3 of of 5) and not sure where to come up with the points. I suppose I can drop a unit of Knights but I'm hesitant to leave myself only one unit for counter-charge. Thoughts or advice?

Jind_Singh
15-11-2009, 20:07
I'm going to try my luck with my empire at the next RT commin up. I'd like to be as competitive as possible without being to OTT. There are some nasty lizardman, skaven, and demon players at my club so I tried to make the best all-comers list possible. Please let me know what I can improve on.

Heroes: 444
Captain (133): BSB, Shroud of Magnus, Full Plate Armor
Priest (115): 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core: 944
9 Swordsmen (54)
9 Swordsmen (54)
Special: 551
17 Greatswords (200): Full Command
9 Swordsman (54)
Pistoliers (97): Musician
Great Cannon (100)
Great Cannon (100)
Rare: 300
Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2239
3PD/5DD

Drop a cannon to get another 100pts - you now got 111 pts to play with.
You need to look at converting up some mounted warrior priests (I made 2 so far, they look awesome and so easy - kit bash using your bitz. Flagellants have so many useable bitz to make awesome mounted warrior priests!)
Why so? Well with your current set-up the priests on foot could stay close to the handgunners, and make the unit champ reroll to hit/to wound - but its a bound prayer so no real gaurentee it will ever go off.
On the other hand a mounted warrior priest still has the same difficulty of praying, BUT he now gives mounted Knights hatred - reroll to hit those juicy str 5 attacks - LOVELY!
Actually in a friendly game my mate took his empire v's my khorne deamons at 1500pts - he had 5 knights with a priest and charged my 5 fleshounds - killed a whole bunch, the rest were destroyed by instablilty, and he overran into the next unit of hounds behind them. just over 200 pts of knights/priest killed 350pts of my hounds - hatred! on the other flank he had 6 knights, fc, warbannor and they struggled in combat as they didnt have hatred.
I would also look at taking an arch lector over the captin - captin wont do jack for your army at this level, but an arch lector now gives you 2 more bound spells, hatred to another unit - and suddenly your scroll caddy wizard is now able to look at casting spells.
Doomfire ring and ring of volans add 2 more bound items to your offensive, and now you can also look at the horn that rallies your troops - and cantg really be classed as cheese as I'd rather face 3 priests than 3 wizards!
Knights work great with just musician - if you mount 2 priests you can actually drop 1 knight from each unit if so required to find more points
Steam tank - cant go wrong!
But I do think that even detachments of 5 crossbows will really help your cause with their extended range.
Only reason I could see someone say no greatswords is that you get another unit in their place, with detachments, and save points - but I think it's good to have a dependable unit in place that will hold the line.
10 flagellants are also wicked in a list like this to tie down a unit for a turn or 2.
Huntsman will be crucial - espec if you face orcs & gobs - to flush out fanatics.

And finally if you do mount the priests drop the marksman and rifles if you have to save points!

Good luck!
I took my Empire for their 1st tourny last week (1500pts) and played DoC (Slaaneshi ld bomb with flamers/screamers), VC (Solid player), and dwarves - and managed to masacre the DoC player - he had I think maybe 2-3 models left), solid draw with the VC - though I was technicaly ahead by 3-400pts), and massacred the dwarves. Funniest thing with the dwarves - my pistiolliers ran towards the cannon, and ranked up 2 wide, 3 deep - as I wanted to present him a juicy target to be shot at! He fluffed the cannon ball - but now my 2 wide frontage allowed me to charge through a gap in terrian that the cannon was hiding between!

Buddha777
16-11-2009, 01:37
Again thanks for the great ideas.

Just one thing I suppose before I comment further. I had currently in mind having the warrior priests lead my swordsman blocks. I hadn't considered either mounting them or placing them near the hochlands (though both sound fun). Is this the route they should be used for instead of leading infantry?

Jind_Singh
16-11-2009, 07:38
for me yes, just from personal experiance.
hatred on swords man is fine, but they still only hit with str 3 - wearas knights always pretty much wound on 2's or 3's and have a -2 armour save modifier - they kill!
And then you get hatred on the 5 horses who always graba kill or 2!
then the priest also gets to attack, with a great weapon, also str 5! 5 Knights and priest in base contact (lets assume 6th knight cant squeeze in) is 7 str 5 attacks, 5 str 3 attacks, all rerolling for hatred in 1st turn of combat! Makes the knights into a real killers unit - and then they got high armour save to help them survive, and if they do get trouble flee 3D6!!!!
I would actually always take all my empire characters mounted even if i use my infantary horde - as the extra +2 to armour save makes even a basic naked character that much tougher to kill, a warrior priest can have barded warhorse, shield, heavy armour for a respectable 2+ save in close combat or shooting (3+ if he uses a great weapon)

Poseidal
16-11-2009, 11:07
Swordsman detachment for the greatswords looks illegal. You would need to drop a guy in it or make the greatswords one man larger.