PDA

View Full Version : The "Legendary Astartes"

xerxeshavelock
14-11-2009, 22:26
I was musing on the idea of doing a Marine force, but based on the idea that the average inhabitant of the Imperium would have only heard legends of the Astartes, and would therefore model them up using medieval/fantasy knights with futuristic components. I would start with a Brettonian, say, and give him a bolter, painting it in his personal heraldry. Somehow have large enough shoulder pads to put a chapter symbol, or maybe use a shield? I could even convert bikes so they were a little more like cavalry. Not sure about Back Packs though, I think the Marine ones would be too big. For Assault Marines I would somehow like to model "Wings of Fire". For Terminators "Walking Tanks".

Conceptually I like the idea, but can anyone else help me flesh it out? Or as is often the case, has it been done already?

devlin
14-11-2009, 22:34
i have seen brettonian based marines at my local club and tbh they didnt look to great in the flesh
i would suggest using templars or dark angels and give them a more medievil feel,like lances and shieldsmaybe even knights heads

Grimbad
14-11-2009, 22:47
Closest thing I've done is given a black templars Emperor's Champion a brettonian sword arm. With a marine shoulder pad put over that, it looks good from a distance and has an extra knightly feel if you look carefully and see the chain mail.

xerxeshavelock
14-11-2009, 22:52
The other challenge will be how to differentiate them from the Sisters of battle. They're described as "Giants in Armour", so would like to make them stand out over a guardsman.

Whitwort Stormbringer
14-11-2009, 23:18
The biggest problem I foresee with this idea is that, really, the Bretonnian peasant bodies are going to look a little unceremonious for "legendary marines"

I think instead I would use the marine bodies that come with tabards and tunics, but then perhaps put bretonnian knights' heads on them, and use all manner of medieval weaponry to capture a bit of that feel. You could even have each marine with a small shield over his firing hand, with personal heraldry painted on.

Born Again
15-11-2009, 01:01
Yeah your best bet is Black Templars... their whole imagery is that idea of knightly marines.

Grimbad
15-11-2009, 05:38
Templar Marine legs and torsos with bretonnian knight head and arm swaps would work. Then it's a matter of finding uses for the rest of the bretonnians...

Dr.Clock
15-11-2009, 06:15
With all honesty, just using the odd men-at-arms head is sufficient to give marines a little medieval feel. I gave these heads to most of my scouts and to some assault and tactical marines.

IMO the army will be more successful if you accessorize marine models with Brettonian bits as opposed to vice-versa.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

the1stpip
15-11-2009, 10:43
Or how about a pretend Marine army.

Due to their rarity, a bunch of guys dress up as Marines to try and scare the local crime lords.

spacewolf_sven
16-11-2009, 00:58
I have to agree that using straight brettonians wouldn't work, but the heads and shields will also I recently added a griffon from a brettonian knight's helmet to a space marine's back pack which is quite effective by itself.
Or, for a different take on knightliness use empire bits combining some of the orders would give a nice black-templars-but-not effect (I hope people can see what I mean).

Lord Cook
16-11-2009, 01:25
It's certainly an original concept, basing a Marine army on the Imperium's perception of the Astartes in common mythology rather than the reality. That said, I'd stick to Marine models and then heavily convert from there rather than using Brettonians as the base. Remember you've got Grey Knight parts to work with if necessary (containing many ornamental swords and halberds), as well as WFB Empire troops (with many wavy pennants and standards for cheap).

Sir_Turalyon
17-11-2009, 13:43
Wouldn't 40k commoners imagine marines more like Emperor's otherworldly angels of death then medieval knights *in space!*, which SM already are btw ? Long robes, angelic faces with long hairs, flaming swords, winged backpacks, idealized armour and bolters rather then plain plate-and-mail with bolters?

I'd start with DA robed veterans legs and torsos, knight errant's bare long-haired heads and bretonnian arms, all painted in glamorous High Elf style rather then dark and brooding.