PDA

View Full Version : "Zilla"-Army in whfb?

sandpeople
15-11-2009, 08:10
In 40k you can field an army of almost only big things (carnifexes and tyrants along with some ripper swarms)

Is there any army in whfb that allows you to make something similar?

I thought of an ogre kingdoms army with:
4 scraplaunchers
2 slavegiants
Still, thatīs only half the army and I still need characters and core.

I think the army will have to include:
1. Lord on moster/monster lord
2. Some large core or special choices.

Any ideas?

Skywave
15-11-2009, 08:44
Your best choice would be lizardman, with skink priest mounted on stegadon, some skink for core, then special and rare can be all stegadon if you like.

Ethriel
15-11-2009, 08:45
"Zilla" Army meet dino mash...

This sounds exactly like Lizardmen:

Lord = Saurus on Carnosaur

Hero = Skinks on Stegadons

Core: 3 units of skink skirmishers

Special: Stegadon

Rare: Stegadon Ancient

Lots of monsters, YAY!

mrtn
15-11-2009, 11:26
If you find anyone who wants to play your stegadon army is another question...

Another option for a monster army is a WoC troll army. Take Throgg for core trolls, and then possibly Kholek and shaggoths and dragon ogres.

Condottiere
15-11-2009, 11:27
That's a little hard in Fantasy, since the concept revolves around formations, rather than monsters (or was supposed to). Though once you use the term 'Zilla, lizards spring immediately to mind, and that would mean contructing your army from a LM list.

I'm not sure if there are rules for stuff like Thunder Lizards, since I've never looked for them.

However, for Ogres, you do have Rhinox Riders.

Gaargod
15-11-2009, 14:17
Possible Zilla armies:

Lizardmen Stegadon + Carni rush - very powerful. More evil if small stuff (think of them as gaunts) are taken to help.

WoC Troll army (plus dragon ogres etc) - vulnerable in areas if pure. Does have the potential to make every slot a monster tho.

Dark Elf Dragon + Manticore + 2 Hydras - evil. No manticore is probably worse, but still... evil

Um. Think that's about it tbh, unless you're counting ogres, who are fairly monstrous themselves.

No race, in 40k or WHFB, can take an army purely of monsters with no smaller things. Nidzilla needs gaunts/stealers, Daemonzilla needs troop daemons, Wraithzilla needs... etc etc.

Tokamak
15-11-2009, 15:42
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Gorkermorker/gorgers.jpg

It's legal (provided you split those 2 units of 6 ogres into 4 units of 3).

Horus38
15-11-2009, 20:01
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Gorkermorker/gorgers.jpg

It's legal (provided you split those 2 units of 6 ogres into 4 units of 3).

lol, I'm wondering if that's some promo shot of a GW boxed deal: "Check out this Ogre setup with all the scary monsters!!!!!!!!!! Please buy...."

Ymir
15-11-2009, 20:21
Pendragon and I once posted the Chaos Gorgonzilla list on the Army List forums. There are two variants, as you can see here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172752&highlight=chaozilla).

It basically uses Galrauch as Lord and Throgg as hero, with all core units being trolls (and maybe some warhounds, we still argue about that), the specials being dragon ogres, and two shaggots as rare.

This is the true 'zilla-list for fantasy, with no puny two-legged <40"-base-things to be seen anywhere. I so want to play it, some day. And I will.

WhiteKnight
15-11-2009, 20:32
The only two I can think of are the troll army and the Jurassic park lizardmen army.

Ymir
15-11-2009, 20:38
There's also the pseudo-official Giant Warriors of Khemri list based around Seneshmet:

Sehenesmet is both the Hierophant and General of the army. No other characters may be included.
• Core units: Tomb Scorpion; Ushabti; 0-2 Tomb Swarms; 0-2 Skeleton Warriors
• Special units: Bone Giant; Skeleton Light Horsemen; Skeleton Heavy
Horsemen
• Rare units: Screaming Skull Catapult; Carrion; Skeleton Chariots

InsideReticle
15-11-2009, 21:17
WoC troll king list or Ogre Kingdoms are the only real options that can get by with nothing on less than a 40mm base.

mrtn
15-11-2009, 23:08
WoC troll king list or Ogre Kingdoms are the only real options that can get by with nothing on less than a 40mm base.

...and the beastmen doombull army. Until February at least.

Cypher, the Emperor
16-11-2009, 02:15
I of course immediately think of a lizardmen list using skink cohorts with Krox, Mazdamundi or the prophet of sotek plus lots of engines and stegadons.

Charistoph
16-11-2009, 02:56
The reason that it is called a "-Zilla" army is not because of the lizard-aspect, but because it consists mostly of and around fitting as many Monstrous Creatures (read: Monsters) as can possibly be fit into the army.

Lizardmen really can pull it off everywhere but the core of the army. They do have a special character that can take Cold One Riders as Core, though...

If you're willing to consider Ogre-sized infantry and bigger as "Monsters" than the only Army Books that support such an army concept are Beasts of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms, and Warriors of Chaos. Chaos Beasts require a specific, but generic, Lord to work it. Chaos Warriors requires a special Hero to work it.

What does that mean? If you plan on going to tournaments, some exclude special characters, which means that Warriors would be out as an option. Also, if the tournament is 1999 points or less, then Beasts lose out.

AlmightyNocturnus
16-11-2009, 03:09
I run the same Throgg army as Ymir, but with two Giants instead of Shaggoths. With Galrauch`s Ld test and the constant Stupidity checks, it`s far from a "tabletop dominator". But it is a lot of fun and it does turn heads in a `Zilla kind of way (and it was fun to paint).

Almighty Nocturnus

Onisuzume
16-11-2009, 15:30
Well, seeing as how Tyranids were designed to be "dinos in space", making the step to more dino-like models is only a small one.