PDA

View Full Version : Clan Moulder List - 2000

lotrchampion
16-11-2009, 00:16
After having spent the last month or two running round crouched down, scurrying up and down the stairs and running into my living room to tell my housemates "man-thing, let me have click-click stick for picture-box!" (yes they worry...), I've finally calmed down enough to write a coherent Skaven list.

My initial thoughts were for either a generic Skaven list (Seer, SB, Stormvermin, Doomwheels...), an Eshin list (all tunelling for giggles), or a Pestilens list (as many Furnaces and Monks as possible). I really enjoyed the imagery of Eshin in Storm of Chaos, when I first delved into WHFB, and also that of Pestilens in the Lustria book. Considering my Tehenhauin-led Skink army, the plague lords seemed nice and thematic too! In the end, however, Clan Moulder leapt from nowhere to seize my imagination.

One of the main things for me with this army was to make it flexible. I didn't just want to be pushed into a 2k+ only list, but wanted to be able to play smaller games on the fly. So, here is the lovely list I've mustered in the name of Hell Pit...

Throt the Unclean

Warlock Engineer
-Level 1
-Dispel Scroll

Warlock Engineer
-Level 1
-Dispel Scroll

Warlock Engineer
-Level 1
-Dispel Scroll

20 Slaves

20 Slaves

6 Rat Ogres
-2 Packmasters + Skweel Gnawtooth

4 Rat Ogres
-2 Packmasters

4 Rat Ogres
-2 Packmasters

15 Giant Rats + 5 Packmasters

15 Giant Rats + 5 Packmasters

2 Rat Swarms

2 Rat Swarms

Hell Pit Abomination
-Warpstone Spikes

Hell Pit Abomination
-Warpstone Spikes

Yes, it's led by Throt, who I can't have at under 2k. I do however have a Queek Headtaker model on my desk, halfway through a conversion to make him my resident Chieftain. He'll lead the force in Throt's absence at smaller games.

The Slaves are mostly there to easily downsize to smaller games. And of course somewhere for the Engineers to sit. They're there mainly for magic defence, ad I know, they're Skyre, but I like to think they use their lightning to keep the beasts in check! Throt is there for character, and I'd also love to see how useful he actually is (and how many Rat Ogres he eats :P).

Skweel's big mutant unit of Ogres will be the centre point of the army, with Throt probably in there as well. Backed up by the two slightly smaller units, these guys could make a mess if they reach combat. Flanked by the Abominations, I'm hoping the enemy will struggle to take down enough before they reach combat, being spoilt for targets.

The little stuff, like the Giant Rats and Swarms, are mainly there for the flanks of the Slaves. And of course, Unbreakable swarms are always good to hold up a unit just long enough for an Abomination to roll into the side of!

Anyway, this list is meant to be themed, fairly fun, but still able to hold it's own. What improvements can you guys see to improve it? Bearing in mind I want to keep it themed to Moulder, I want to keep Throt in it, and I want 2 Abominations (since he's famed for making the first...).

Thanks for taking the time to read this mini-essay, and bring on the feedback! :)

Nu Fenix
16-11-2009, 00:49
I like the idea of a Throt list, so please let me know how it goes.

Unfortunately you have too many Packmasters with your Giant Rats. It's a maximum of 1 for every full 5, so the most they can have is 3. Either you need to increase the number of Giant Rats per unit, or decrease the amount of Packmasters.

On a tangent to that, have you thought about using the Giant Rats as one big unit, just like how other Skaven armies use a large block of Clanrats? Sure you have so save, but many things these days are strong enough to get through what little armour you would have, and cost less to start with. It could give you the static boost of ranks and outnumber, which can help you either win a combat, or stop something chewing through you until you get into a flanking position.

Have you thought about adding Master Moulders? They give a potent combat boost, especially if they're in a fighting rank and not just using a whip. I have seen some lists using them with great weapons, which I have converted three of myself using a Plague Monk with an Empire Free Company greatsword. In addition to the combat potential, it also means they're Ld 6, which is handy if Throt is out of range.

Whilst I can see the need for magic defence, how do you feel about a Chieftain BSB? With the HPAs being Stubborn, giving them a re-roll incase they fail can swing the battle for you. You would hen need to decide if you should take a magic banner, with Storm Banner being the obvious choice due to the lack of shooting on your part, or going for other magic items to defend yourself from harm. Unfortunarely, it would mean he would either slow down a unit or be trailing alone behind them and hoping nothing bad happens.

Placing the Engineers in the Slaves could be risky, as if they pop then the Engineers go with them, which is far too costly. Depending on the terrain and opposing army, hiding them at the back or hidden in trees may do more for you, as you may not get LOS to cast Warp Lightning with the units in your army. Rat Ogres and Abominations not known for being small afterall ;)

The large unit of Rat Ogres with Skweel and Throt makes me feel of putting your eggs into one frenzied basket, and if it goes down then a major part of your army goes with it.

Hope that gives you some ideas, although I am sure others will disagree with me on various parts of it.

Unwise
16-11-2009, 01:09
I really can't see the warlocks as either being in theme or being an effective use of points. There is no onus upon you to fill out the characters limit. I just don't see them as being a good use of points, 1 x level 1 with 2 scrolls would likely be sufficient.

You have a fast moving army which you can beef up with more models with the points you save on warlocks. That way you can absorb a more fire rather than spending far more points trying to prevent magical casualties.

Regarding theme, I think it would be far more appropriate to take a plague priest mounted on a pox rat than warlocks. He it tied to the theme far better, riding a rat and being in a horde of diseased vermin. Pestilens and moulder have always gone hand in hand with making diseased hordes of rats. He would not look out of place at all. If you were very worried about magical defence, you could even take more of these guys.

Plague magic works very well with giant rats. Having poisoned attacks is very good on units that are dishing out 15 or so attacks.

Killboss
16-11-2009, 06:54
Regarding theme, I think it would be far more appropriate to take a plague priest mounted on a pox rat than warlocks. He it tied to the theme far better, riding a rat and being in a horde of diseased vermin. Pestilens and moulder have always gone hand in hand with making diseased hordes of rats. He would not look out of place at all. If you were very worried about magical defence, you could even take more of these guys.

Plague magic works very well with giant rats. Having poisoned attacks is very good on units that are dishing out 15 or so attacks.

The large unit of Rat Ogres with Skweel and Throt makes me feel of putting your eggs into one frenzied basket, and if it goes down then a major part of your army goes with it.

I'm suggesting a combo of these ideas. I'd drop the warlcoks for just 1 with 2 scrolls. Also, to do with the all-eggs-in-one-giant-frenzied-basket problem, i've come up with am idea, keep skweel in the unit of 6. Put Throt in a unit of 4 (also making it super killie) and then (with the point saved from the warlocks) boos the other unit of rat ogers to 6, making them also killie. Or, if you don't want to boost them, i'd go for getting the pox rat-riding PP and put him with the 4 (wit ha flail, naturally.) This way, all your units have some extra kick.

Hope this helps (oh and in small games, to help with the downsizing thing, you could use the giant rats that come with the ROs)