PDA

View Full Version : Best Phoenix Lord

jaws900
16-11-2009, 16:09
I'm tryign to find out who is the best as a friend of mine loves Asurmen but so few people seem to use him in this fourm so i'm tryign to see why and who is the best.

Please vote and then say who you voted for and why?

The Anarchist
16-11-2009, 16:14
Ra is hard as nails and genuinely brilliant and killing most anything you put him to doing in, also his fluff is my favorite.

Poseidal
16-11-2009, 16:21
Although not my favourite, Maugan Ra brings the most for his (still steep) price. He's a unit that can shoot quite well, but can hold his own in CC due to a good weapon and combat stats.

Arakanis
16-11-2009, 16:51
In 3rd I would have said Baharroth because of Sustained attack and Web o Death. But now, it's definitely Maugan Ra. No question about it. He turns a deadly unit of Dark Reapers in a game changing unit.

Lycannus
16-11-2009, 17:09
I use them all, and like them all equally, they all have their uses depending on the opponent, but I voted for Jain Zharr, simply because recently, she has perfomed better than the others (and my opponents broodlord hates her....)

Flying Toaster
16-11-2009, 17:10
I think Kahandras is pretty god damn nasty...

Arakanis
16-11-2009, 17:13
Karandras and Jain Zar are really good, and I thought about voting for them, but they basically only get their attacks in and then die. Since they have no invul saves...

pookie
16-11-2009, 17:17
Ahra - because i can :evilgrin:

on a more serious note, id go for Jain Zar personally.

Flying Toaster
16-11-2009, 18:11
You do realise that they are eternal warriors so that helps quite alot against powerfists, instant death weapons, etc.

Corpse
16-11-2009, 18:32
Eternal Warrior > All

meanmachine
16-11-2009, 18:45
morgan ra is the best one point for point, he is great in close combat and outside of close combat

jain zar and karandras are great for combat but they are only good in combat

also karandras has to pick between 8 attack at str5 i7 that allow armour saves or 7 attacks at str8 I1 that dont allow saves, so basically he is the worse phoenix lord for taking on terminators, hive tyrants, carnifex's, marines or anything else which has a 3+ save or better and has a weapon which stop karanadras's armour save.

every phoenix lord except karandras has a power weapon that doesn't strike with I1, jain zar has a str7 power weapon so i think she is better in combat than karandras

asurman is good because he is the only one with a invulnerable save and he has a weapon which can cause instant death but that is why he is the most points

i would say baharroth is the worse one of all though, they are all good but i must say he is the worse of them

fuegan is great for taking out tanks from range or in close combat, his axe is a very good weapon, he is the only phoenix lord who can penetrate a land raider in combat, he also has feel no pain which is pretty useful if hee is being shot by average weapons

i hope everyone agrees with me andd everyone likes my view

Sildani
16-11-2009, 18:49
Maugan Ra has arguably the best mini of them all, so that alone puts him over the top. The fact that he has excellent rules, excellent versatility, and is the cheapest cements him there.

Lord Damocles
16-11-2009, 19:13
Chuck Norris.

I'm surprised this thread got so far without the Bearded One getting a mention...

As usual, it depends entirely on what else is in the army, and what you want the Lord to achieve.

Necro Angelo
16-11-2009, 19:21
fuegan is great for taking out tanks from range or in close combat, his axe is a very good weapon, he is the only phoenix lord who cant penetrate a land raider in combat, he also has feel no pain which is pretty useful if hee is being shot by average weapons

i hope everyone agrees with me andd everyone likes my view

I think he can actually, S4+1+2D6=7-17 vs 14. 17>14 so therefore he can

brainwave: he has melta bombs assssss well so its actually 8+2D6. :p

I agree with everything else you said.

Vedar
16-11-2009, 19:25
They are all horribly overpriced. If you see a Phoenix Lord you know the person using it is not a power gamer. That being said I sometimes use Maugan Ra and Jain Zar.

It is so easy to kill a Pheonix Lord (except Asurmen, which costs as much as a Land Raider and will never get his points back).

Farseers and the Avatar are much better then any Pheonix Lord. It is just to easy to kill something without an Inv save.

Spaceraider
16-11-2009, 19:43
I voted Asurman because he's the only Lord I've got round to painting.

Maugan Ra is a staple in my lists at the moment but Asurman is the Exarch++ for that all important objective grabbing troops choice.

meanmachine
16-11-2009, 19:44
I think he can actually, S4+1+2D6=7-17 vs 14. 17>14 so therefore he can

brainwave: he has melta bombs assssss well so its actually 8+2D6. :p

I agree with everything else you said.

whoops, take away the letter T in cant i was saying he is the only one who can, amazing how 1 letter changed the whole sentence

thanks for mentioning that error in my thread, i have changed it

jaws900
16-11-2009, 20:39
thanks for all your help. I can tell that Maugan Ra is by far the most prefured with Baharroth the least (Try me to own only 1 lord and it's the worst). I have heard alternatve meathod of using the lords outside of there aspect. I heard of Maugan being used in Harliquins? How effective is this?