PDA

View Full Version : Loathsome Ratmen

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
16-11-2009, 19:15
Can anyone who owns a copy of this book or who has read it please tell me if it is worth the extravagant prices and great lengths I'm trying to go to to purchase it? I do love the Skaven. Is it a good read? How many pages? Do you still have yours? Will you sell it to me? Etc.

Bregalad
16-11-2009, 21:19
Currently the best background book is the OOP book "Children of the Horned Rat: Skaven Sourcebook" from the Warhammer RPG, also sold for high prices. Contains good info about history, anatomy, rare clans and everything to roleplay almost every unit from the army book. "The Loathsome Ratmen" was sold in a deluxe and a normal version. It is consistently written by a fake author living in the setting and with fake footnotes/literature quotes. Very entertaining but in the end contains less info than the other book. This book is mentioned in the Gotrek&Felix novel Grey Seer, as Felix learned all about Skaven from this book. I have both and recommend both, but prefer the first book. But not every price should be paid, search the internet incl. ebay. And don't miss the Gotrek novel and the new novel series about Thingol. ANd no, I won't sell them.

BobtheInquisitor
16-11-2009, 21:33
Supposedly, when BL goes to a print-on-demand format this book should become available again.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying it when it was originally published.

Meticulous
16-11-2009, 22:53
Chiming in to second Children of the Horned Rat. My favorite WFRP book by far. It has both an in-character section (Empire scholar) and a omniscient perspective section (like most gaming books are written in).

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-11-2009, 03:39
Thanks for the info on Children of the Horned Rat, Bregalad. It looks like I can find it for half the price one Amazon.com. So is Loathsome Ratmen not worth buying, especially since I can't find it for less than $138 + shipping?

Bregalad
17-11-2009, 11:18
Well, it is a nice book, but personally I wouldn't support those pirates selling it for 100+ $ . Amazon is notorious for those pirates. The 2003 trade paperback "Shadowpoint" (6.95$ IIRC, Eldar BFG) is currently sold on amazon.com from 51.00 -210.00 $. I got it for 10.00 $ on ebay after a while. But I would recommend buying the other first for the information and browse ebay after that, if you can't get enough of Skaven material.

Brimstone
17-11-2009, 13:19
Hmmm how long before the lawyers get that stopped ....

Who needs lawyers Warseer has always had strict rules on posting links to illegal downloads and such breaches will be treated harshly.

The Warseer Inquisition

Vermin-thing
17-11-2009, 13:27
Who needs lawyers Warseer has always had strict rules on posting links to illegal downloads and such breaches will be treated harshly.

The Warseer Inquisition

Whoops my bad. *faceplam*

Jedi152
17-11-2009, 14:27
TBH it's not that great. I bought it on the day of release and sold it a few months later.

Children of the Horned Rat i'd love a copy of though.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-11-2009, 15:32
Well, I guess I'm glad I wasn't able to win any auctions of it, then.

I did, however, find a copy of Children of the Horned Rat on eBay's Half.com service for $40, which is the cheapest I've seen it anywhere!

AndrewGPaul
18-11-2009, 01:06
TBH it's not that great. I bought it on the day of release and sold it a few months later.

Children of the Horned Rat i'd love a copy of though.

Here you go:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4943

Fifteen bucks and it's yours.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-11-2009, 01:38
Here you go:

If you want a digital copy, that is.

Jedi152
18-11-2009, 01:40
Here you go:

I'd rather have the paper copy.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-11-2009, 02:34
I'd rather have the paper copy.

Woo hoo! Preach it, brother! I was talking with my voice teacher the other day about how I hate the Kindle and all the other digital book thingies. I guess I'm just getting old (27), but I don't want to live in this "paperless future" we're headed for.

KidDiscordia
18-11-2009, 03:54
Woo hoo! Preach it, brother! I was talking with my voice teacher the other day about how I hate the Kindle and all the other digital book thingies. I guess I'm just getting old (27), but I don't want to live in this "paperless future" we're headed for.

Indeed because in a pinch Kindles make lousy fire starters. ;)

Jedi152
18-11-2009, 08:12
Yes, i'm afraid i'm in the 'can't stand .pdfs' category.

AndrewGPaul
18-11-2009, 08:22
Well, if you'd said that top begin with ... :) Feel free to pay 70+ for it.

It's not something that bothers me - you're paying for the information, not the medium. The only problem with stuff like this is they're likely laid out exactly like the physical books, and are awkward to print.