PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific White Dwarf

Max1mum
16-11-2009, 20:20
Hi everybody,

a short and quick question ;-)

When do dark eldar c.......lame joke i know..

the real question.

Could somebody tell me what white dwarf featured the ' how to paint' skin article.

I have it ;-) so that's not the issue. But i just moved to a new apartement and i don't want to spend hours paging through White dwarfs trying to find it.

I think it's one of the last 5 ..having a issue number to search for just helps in the searching proces ;-)

Dai-Mongar
16-11-2009, 20:43
Crap, I think I know exactly the one you mean. Can't remember the number, but I think it had a model of a big Tyranid beastie on the front, in ice terrain.

scarletsquig
16-11-2009, 21:25
Pretty sure that article is up online on their website.

Max1mum
17-11-2009, 05:44
I have to admit that i did not think of looking there ;-)

But now that i have, i'm sorry to have to say that it's not there :S

Wintertooth
17-11-2009, 09:35
The Painting Faces article covers painting skin, and is online: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=&categoryId=800032a&section=whiteDwarf&aId=3700001a

Max1mum
17-11-2009, 09:42
Instead of typing "i'm sorry to have to say that it's not there "

I should have said "i'm a bit slow and can't find it"

:P thanks Wintertooth, and sorry Scarlet for doubting you ;-)

-edit-

I remember the white dwarf to have more examples of different skin tones, either i'm not so smart as i would like to believe that i am. Or the article on the internet is a slim-line-version of the real deal.

Wintertooth
17-11-2009, 09:59
I don't know if it's even the article you're thinking of. I don't read White Dwarf. I suggested it as maybe covering enough of what you need.

Max1mum
17-11-2009, 10:42
The suggestion is fantastic ;-) and very helpfull indeed :D.

And i'm going to use it ;-) ...but i want to get several skin tones into my IG army ...

to break up the 'sea' of same coloured guys.

And i was hoping for that article to givme me a load of options ;-).

AndrewGPaul
18-11-2009, 01:11
The suggestion is fantastic ;-) and very helpfull indeed :D.

And i'm going to use it ;-) ...but i want to get several skin tones into my IG army ...

to break up the 'sea' of same coloured guys.

And i was hoping for that article to givme me a load of options ;-).

Normal:
basecoat Bronzed flesh, shade Ogryn Flesh, highlight Bronzed Flesh then Elf Flesh

Pale:
basecoat Elf Flesh, shade Ogryn Flesh, highlight Elf Flesh then Elf Flesh+White (or Pallid Flesh if you still have some, or Vallejo Game Color Pale Flesh)

Tanned:
basecoat VGC Tan (Vermin Brown might work), shade Ogryn Flesh, highlight Tan then Bronzed Flesh

Dark:
basecoat Dark Flesh, shade Devlan Mud, highlight Dark Flesh then Dark Flesh+Bronzed Flesh (or VGC Tan).

All 4 of those work fine with limited mixing (none, if you use the VGC colors).

Max1mum
18-11-2009, 12:18
Fantastic :D ;-) i'm going to try all of these :P

In fact - does anybody else have some suggestions ;-)

mweaver
21-11-2009, 16:02
Reaper masterwork paints have several flesh "triads" (shadow/base/highlight) sets, that work well:

9714: Dark skin triad
9715: Medium Skin triad
9716: Fair skin triad
9723: Rosy skin triad
9731: Golden skin triad

sparks
21-11-2009, 17:32
I know the article you mean, it had more advanced schemes for stubble, scar tissue and the like. I think it was 351 or 354 as I was looking at buying it. I got excited when I saw the online one only to realise it wasn't the same one. The one you're after is part 2 of that archived one. Sorry I can't help with the WD #, but at least it proves you're not going mad looking for something that might not exist!

mweaver
21-11-2009, 23:07
OK, if it is the recent articles you mean - the ones sparks refers to - then part 1 was in issue 349 and part 2 was in issue 355 (U.S. editions - February and August 2009, with a Saurus warrior and some IG types on the respective covers).

Part 1:
Basics
Skin Tones
Hair and hair lines
Eyes
Scars
Stubble
Advanced "eavy metal" technique
Orcs/Orks
Female faces

Part 2:
Dark Skin
Aging
Female faces
Non-human faces (Ork, Tau, undead, ruddy-faced dwarves)
Facial details (stubble, body hair, tattoos, boils, hair shine and greying, body hair)

Max1mum
24-11-2009, 12:57
You two are my heroes :D

Now i have a target to search for in my big pill of still packed boxes ...

Thank you :D both :D