PDA

View Full Version : Need a complementary army (or two)

Skyven
16-11-2009, 21:01
In order to get a local to play I need to provide the minis and stuff. Hopefully someone else will eventually take it up properly, but my fellow local wargamers are more nappies and ancients orientated :-)

So I already have a Skaven and (a less well liked) Orc and Goblin army, but to keep things fresh I'd like to introduce a third (and possibly fourth) contender into the mix, so that we can vary from session to session. Cost is a factor, but what I'd really like to know is what would make a good complementary army to the two I already have.

Thanks in advance.

Lord Malorne
16-11-2009, 21:02
Empire.

Lord Malorne

Col. Tartleton
16-11-2009, 21:31
Well, you have horde armies, so... I suggest WoC, Dwarves, High Elves, or Lizardmen for more elite armies. Dwarves and Lizards have feuds with Skaven, High Elves and Dwarves have ish with the Greenies.

Empire seem to be at war with everyone as do Chaos. They're probably among your legit choices.

Realistically every army is a good thing, so as long as you don't repeat until you need to, you'll have a dynamic group (and there are many lists that can go many ways ie. the top tier armies have many competitive builds DE, VC, and DC

ZigZagMan
16-11-2009, 21:35
If by complimentary you mean armies that can be used in more than one way, then I'd say ogres.
The ogres can be used in Dogs of war armies (or other armies for that matter) and your goblins from your O&G army can be used as nobblars in a pinch.

Another 2 use army is Undead, although the units are supposed to look different a skeleton is a skeleton right?

Bard Harlock
16-11-2009, 22:00
I cost is a factor, check into Ogres, WoC and Lizardmen.

2 LM battalion boxes with a little conversion work (mostly bitz conversion with all the bits you need in the box) gets you 2x18 Saurus blocks, 20 skink skirmishers, 12 Cold One Cav, 16 Temple Guard and enough left over for some hero conversions, including some mounted on cold ones. Throw in a Slann and a Stegadon and you have a well balanced force with some heavy hitting magic up to about 2500 points.

The Red Scourge
17-11-2009, 06:29
You've got two 'evil' armies. So go with two 'good' armies to have those big and epic good vs. evil clashes :)

Empire, WE, Brets, HE and DoW :)

ZeroTwentythree
17-11-2009, 06:37
Empire will provide a nice balanced army to fight both of the armies you already mentioned. Plus it may have a certain appeal to historical players, since you also mentioned that.

The other one I might consider is High Elves. They've got a similar appeal, plus they are really the "good guys" of the WFB world, and also have that Tolkein connection.

All 4 of those armies (Skaven, O&G, Empire & HE) should also provide good, fun, yet balanced games against each other as well.

Keller
17-11-2009, 13:01
Empire is a great option, with lots of different types of units to field a variety of armies. Skaven are all infantry, and I am guessing you don't have a cavalry O&G force, so a knight-heavy Empire might be good. And it will be much fewer models than an infantry-based Empire, too. Or, if you really like knights, Bretonnia would would be the way to go. Hmm, why didn't I just suggest that in the first place?

If you want to stick to infantry, and don't want to paint up another vast amount of troops, Dwarves are a great choice. Considerably fewer models than an Empire army, rock solid troops, but at the cost of a wide array of units. On the plus side, they are highly customizable (with runic items/standards) and are the perfect fluff enemy of both Skaven and O&G.

Skyven
17-11-2009, 13:47
Empire and Dwarves are looking good... thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming though, this is going to take some time to put together.

For Dwarves, is the Skull Pass box a good source for cheap Dwarves, or is the battalion box a better start? I know that a new edition is due out next year, but the thought that there is a mini rule book in Skull Pass which I could loan out is appealing to me. (And I could give the goblins away for painting practice or something...)

Keller
17-11-2009, 13:58
Empire and Dwarves are looking good... thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming though, this is going to take some time to put together.

For Dwarves, is the Skull Pass box a good source for cheap Dwarves, or is the battalion box a better start? I know that a new edition is due out next year, but the thought that there is a mini rule book in Skull Pass which I could loan out is appealing to me. (And I could give the goblins away for painting practice or something...)

The skull pass set is excellent, especially since you already have an O&G army. The models are fairly good (not great) but are readily available 2nd hand from people buying up the sets. I put together a 1K Dwarf army of 2x20 warriors, 8 miners, 16 gunners, cannon, 2 slayers, 2 thanes, gyrocoptor, and army book for about ~50-75$ US using the SKull pass sets off of Ebay. The book and Coptor I bought locally, which were the bulk of my expenses. The warriors box set can be used to make a different type of dwarven unit (since the models are different than the SP set) to represent Long Beards, Hammerers, or Iron Breakers with a bit of conversion and proper paint job. This makes for a cheap army (compared to other armies, anyway.)

Or you can buy 2 batallions, which is often a good way to go to build up any army, but I think it may run a bit more than getting the Skull Pass sets. The models may look better, though I am quite happy with the SkPa ones.

Rogue
17-11-2009, 16:17

I see all of the models in Skull Pass as starter models for dwarves. I made a decision to rather play the old 6th edition models of Dwarves rather than the models in the box. For models to knock around with other players I would recommend them because they are cheap and if someone breaks a few models, I would not too excited about it. I kind of wish that I did that and I will proabably do that when the 8th comes out. With that in mind I would recommend them for your purpose of a loaner army.

The battalion box are better models in my opinion and I would be more hesitant to loan them out after I have them well painted. If you want to make a better looking army these are the models to use. I have two army boxes and one battalion box that I am putting together a dwarf army with converted Hammerers, etc. They will NOT be loaned out to anyone when I am done with them.

I hope that this helps you out. My final recommendation is to get the box or a cheap lot or two of models from EBay of the Skull Pass Dwarves to make a new army for your friends if you want a cheap army for variety.

Jind_Singh
17-11-2009, 16:31
may as well go for Dwarves - post on Craigslist that you want to trade your goblins for the dwarves - or ask one of your buddies to buy them for like 35-40. They get 500pts of army just like that!
The dwarves make the most sense as they always fight the skaven and greenskins, otherwise I'd say next best bet is Lizzies.
Skull pass gives you the rough beginings of a dwarven army, but 2 sets would really work out well for you.
Its a shame no one is into greenies as otherwise you could 'convince' them to buy skull pass, you could buy one, and swap out the peices so both of you have an instand army.
Actually not a bad idea as your opponet has a starter 1000pt army, rules, templates die for $90 - wearas a battalian box is $110 for say 5-600 pts.

Skyven
17-11-2009, 16:54
I'm liking Dwarves and Empire. But the choice just got harder 'cos going through my old stuff I've found an unused Egrimm Van Horstmann box -- I guess back 12 years ago I was thinking of WoC.

Now I could use this in a Woc army as a generic lord, or convert the dragon for use with an elf army. Opens up the possibilities once more...

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
17-11-2009, 19:34
Buy the bfsp-box, then you will get more goblins to include in your already existing forces and a starter army for dwarfs. Besides, you could do a realy fun campaign with Goblins allied with Skaven vs. Dwarfs, like a battle for Karak Eight Peaks:)

PatrikW
17-11-2009, 19:42
I will have to support the voices for dwarfs, especially when you can get some cheap, though starter dwarfs in the BFSP and also some goblins to your other army.

Skyven
18-11-2009, 09:22
Ok Dwarves and the Skull Pass box are on my to do list. I'm sold on this. I also like the idea of combining my Skaven with a Goblin army (the extras in the Skull Pass would certainly get me nearer a goblin-only force).

Are Empire a good fourth corner to a potential battle square? I can see them as a pair with Dwarves for 2 on 2 vs the Skaven/Goblins, but does Empire vs Dwarves make sense? Who would potentially fight with and against Dwarves?

Wakerofgods
18-11-2009, 10:21
I think empire would be a good call.

It just seems like an army that should be on the top of the list for a new player.

brendel
18-11-2009, 12:43
Empire a Dwarfs are a good choice to many cannons though, High elves and lizardmen woul be a good offset for your other armys though, high elves and Dwarfs are a good pair to buy as they fluff wise will fight side by side when the need is great but come come to blows before( war of the beard)

Skyven
19-11-2009, 13:49
So, sold on Dwarves. Fourth option seems to be a tie between Empire and High Elves.

Empire will appeal to the old fuddies who currently game with nappies and ancients. High elves would give me an opportunity to convert the old Egrimm Van Horstmann Chaos Dragon.

Which of the two has the most different playing style to Skaven, Orcs and Dwarves?

Keller
19-11-2009, 14:00
So, sold on Dwarves. Fourth option seems to be a tie between Empire and High Elves.

Empire will appeal to the old fuddies who currently game with nappies and ancients. High elves would give me an opportunity to convert the old Egrimm Van Horstmann Chaos Dragon.

Which of the two has the most different playing style to Skaven, Orcs and Dwarves?

Either, or both. High Elves and Empire can field loads of cavalry or infantry, so you can get loads of knights to offset the infantry bias of the Skaven and Gobs.

Empire infantry is very similar to those which you have, but they get the special detachment rules to add a bit more flavor to the game. They can also load up on nearly any aspect of the game, having great shooting, well armored knights, and relatively cheap infantry, plus adequate magic. They really can do it all, though none of it especially well. As such, they can be similar or very different to the armies you have, depending on how you collect them.

High Elves have decent knights, relativly poor infantry (for their cost) but excellent special troops. Their shooting is rather weak, with only long bows and bolt throwers, but they have some of the best defensive magic capabilities in the game. Their biggest boost is their ASF across the board, plus access to several dragons, eagles, and griffons to spice things up. Probably more different than similar to your current armies, but again it will depend on what exactly you take.

Cavalry and monsters will make things different than what you have, as will the varied lores of magic. Either HE and Empire can do all of this, with HE having more monsters but more expensive troops. Empire would probably be more similar, in that you get more models for your game with lower costed troops [my 2K Empire hase ~200 models]