PDA

View Full Version : New Beastmen

WhiteKnight
17-11-2009, 01:34
Well the Beastmen are going to be making a comeback in a few months. The new art for the book looks awesome. I wish we could've seen a minotaur or two in the cover though. But from what it sounds like is that I'll have to put more work into painting my beastmen to make them look good for the new army book.

InsideReticle
17-11-2009, 01:39
Isn't the giant beastman looking thing in the background supposed to be a minotaur?

Keeperofthepies
17-11-2009, 01:53
I like that they've gone to "Beastmen" rather than "Beasts of Chaos".

Also, based on the cover art, the models are going to be awesome.

Einholt
17-11-2009, 01:57
I have to say I am a big fan of Beastmen but that cover art is just retarded.

The lord has 4 horns that look like they would break his neck no matter how muscled it was, that was some serious spear work by the empire guy to drive the spear through his thigh and 2 layers of plate.... and the randomly inserted empire spear men 2nd from the bottom not sure where his body is considering how low he is, look more like a random cut and paste then a properly composed part of the painting.

I think they should have gone with a more ambush like scenario of a herd and a lord instead of the Mass army thing they keep beating over the head in war hammer. For beast men anyway the small pack attack would work much better.

Tzeentch Loyalist
17-11-2009, 03:26
I love the new art work! I want! I want!

Ad-Rock
17-11-2009, 04:30
The art work on the army book is rubbish if you compare it to the latest skaven army book. Doesn't really show anything to be excited about.

mattieice
17-11-2009, 04:47
They seem kind of fleshy. They are very reminiscent of the Greek minotaur half man/half beast. I wonder if that's going to be the new direction. It also sort of looks like they're marauders wearing goats heads.

Jind_Singh
17-11-2009, 04:49
From all I've heard from my co-gamers the new art cover is a love-hate one, no on the fence for this one!
I personally think it's ok, just not sure if Im keen on the flesh tones on the main beastman in the centre

WhiteKnight
17-11-2009, 05:35
Yeah I noticed the flesh tones too. I really didn't like that. But to be honest, I think I like the 6th ed army book's artwork better. I also like how it's Beastmen and not Beasts of Chaos.

Einholt
17-11-2009, 05:39
The name to me confirms a lack of Trolls, DO's, Ogres and Shaggoths in this one.

Vermin-thing
17-11-2009, 07:19
The name to me confirms a lack of Trolls, DO's, Ogres and Shaggoths in this one.

I'm happy about that so, cookies for GW.

...on the other hand I'm not convenced that the new models will fit with the old ones, essualy the minotaurs, and the doom bull, so no cookies for GW. :p

I like the art, but it's a new look by a long stretch, which for some might not be the best.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
17-11-2009, 09:03
Meh, variety's a good thing. Can't have uniform looking beastmen can we??

Nicha11
17-11-2009, 09:05
If they keep lv4 Combat mages I'm a happy little beastman.

Ultimate Life Form
17-11-2009, 09:08
I wasn't aware that Beastmen have fans, because during the year I'm frequenting this site now, basically no one ever mentioned them...

ever.

Whitehorn
17-11-2009, 09:20

Why? They're all beastly.

Orcs and Goblins has units that aren't Orcs and Goblins. Same goes for most armies.

Warhammer Armies: Elves, Dragons, Horses and some Lions just doesn't roll off the tongue so well.

Einholt
17-11-2009, 10:14
Because the Trolls and ogres that would be in this book would have been of the Chaos variety, and DO's/Shaggoths are now linked to chaos as well.

If you consider the name, the absence of the chaos symbol in the cover art (No that banner is not a chaos symbol it is a circle with a goat skull, not the chaos star), and read the press release it's pretty obvious these will not be the beasts of chaos.

Cypher, the Emperor
17-11-2009, 10:49
They'll be Beasts of Chaos as long as GW doesnt redo every single kit with giant chaos stars on them.

Zoolander
17-11-2009, 16:53
I have to say I am a big fan of Beastmen but that cover art is just retarded.

The lord has 4 horns that look like they would break his neck no matter how muscled it was, that was some serious spear work by the empire guy to drive the spear through his thigh and 2 layers of plate.... and the randomly inserted empire spear men 2nd from the bottom not sure where his body is considering how low he is, look more like a random cut and paste then a properly composed part of the painting.

I think they should have gone with a more ambush like scenario of a herd and a lord instead of the Mass army thing they keep beating over the head in war hammer. For beast men anyway the small pack attack would work much better.

I think you are seeing things. The new cover is great! But the Beastlord on the cover has only 2 horns. The only "horn" you see looks like part of his staff or something else like a tail. And guy in the background is a minotaur. So all in all, it looks great!

New Cover (http://www.warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65721&start=0)

ambrosehlbiercemencken
17-11-2009, 18:02
@Zoolander: He has at least three horns. One on the side of the head facing the viewer, a massive one in the middle and one sticking out from behind his head next to his mouth. That one has nothing to do with his second axe I think.

I agree that the spear that went through two layers of metal plate is retarded and that the Mino's body is too Ogre-like, but those are nitpicks. It's a good cover overall.

PatrikW
17-11-2009, 18:09
Im not that found of the cover art at all, For once i think it could have been a bit darker, the beastmen look a bit to human -the head/feet of course.

Cacodemon
17-11-2009, 18:17
Because the Trolls and ogres that would be in this book would have been of the Chaos variety, and DO's/Shaggoths are now linked to chaos as well.

If you consider the name, the absence of the chaos symbol in the cover art (No that banner is not a chaos symbol it is a circle with a goat skull, not the chaos star), and read the press release it's pretty obvious these will not be the beasts of chaos.

You're bonkers, the press release says:

To lead a Beastmen army is to field vast herds of braying, brutish beasts who worship Chaos in all its forms, and who fight to level the civilised world.

There's nothing really to justify that Beastmen would no longer, after 7 editions of Warhammer, be Chaotic.

Charistoph
17-11-2009, 18:18
I wasn't aware that Beastmen have fans, because during the year I'm frequenting this site now, basically no one ever mentioned them...

ever.

Oh, we lurk around. Most of our comments are reserved for the 'Stone, especially since GW kicked us out on the curb without the support of their cousins in Chaos which the book was designed to do.

shinankoku
17-11-2009, 18:37
Now I'm dying to see the art work. I figure if there was a pic on line it wouldve been linked to already but ... does anyone know of a web site with any of the art work??

FYI, my game-group decided that, until beasts get their new book, anyone can use the *old* hordes of chows book for specials and rares. The opposite applied too, but they got their books, so they use the new rules now

The boyz
17-11-2009, 18:49
I'm not a big fan of the cover art on the new army book. I particularly don't like the fleshy tone look of the Beastmen.

Col. Tartleton
17-11-2009, 19:44
So much better, they look like mutants now

sulla
17-11-2009, 19:58

ever.
Oh, we lurk around. Most of our comments are reserved for the 'Stone, .Seconded. Come over to herdstone if you want to discussed the chaos gods unloved children.

Weemo
17-11-2009, 22:25
Seconded. Come over to herdstone if you want to discussed the chaos gods unloved children.

you mean GW's unloved children?

Hopefully the new book will be an improvement and update; however as usual, whenever someone starts a thread about the beastmen it descends into the cover art.

i think people are reading into it a bit too much.

To clarify, the main beastman, appears to have 4 horns, 2 obvious ones, which are symmetrical. the dowbnwardly curved horn can be seen near his mouth. and if you look closely the spikes running up the upwards pointing horn are repeated, if we were at a different angle we could clearly see the fourth horn.

Ultimate Life Form
18-11-2009, 01:16
I figured that out as well. The thing is, an army book cover shouldn't need a guide explaining to us what we see on the picture. If it does, I think it qualifies as a bad picture.

gormaster
18-11-2009, 01:58
Whats the problem? The gors have 4 horns dont they? Besides, who is buying the book for the picture on the cover?

Ultimate Life Form
18-11-2009, 02:48
As a person with good taste I demand that a picture that adorns the cover fulfill certain quality criteria, especially in a hobby that has so much to do with art, painting and the art of painting. It directly affects my feelings and/or sympathy towards the army. I shudder each and every time I have to take up my Vampire Counts book, which I think is a bad thing, while I rejoice when I see my beloved Lizardmen book (the cover of which is inarguably one of the best pieces of art in 7th Ed).

Weemo
18-11-2009, 08:21
I figured that out as well. The thing is, an army book cover shouldn't need a guide explaining to us what we see on the picture. If it does, I think it qualifies as a bad picture.

it doesn't, it is quite clear how many horns the guy has, and to be honest just because some people cannot use their eyes to look at it, does not qualify it as a "bad" picture.

the cover art has a large amount of detail and fits in with the other books, before it. i think the cover art is very good.

Zoolander
18-11-2009, 15:56
@Zoolander: He has at least three horns. One on the side of the head facing the viewer, a massive one in the middle and one sticking out from behind his head next to his mouth. That one has nothing to do with his second axe I think.

I agree that the spear that went through two layers of metal plate is retarded and that the Mino's body is too Ogre-like, but those are nitpicks. It's a good cover overall.

I disagree. Looking at it again, his head appears to have only two horns. That third one is just oddly placed... who knows? I guess we might get a better look at it next year! ;)

Now I'm dying to see the art work. I figure if there was a pic on line it wouldve been linked to already but ... does anyone know of a web site with any of the art work??

Check out my post from the first page, I linked it there.

daemonkin
18-11-2009, 16:07
I may not know art but I know what I like. I think its fine. Am I going to paint any of my beastmen in the flesh tone depicted on the cover? No. But then I am never going to paint any marines as smurfs if I can help it.

D.

The SkaerKrow
18-11-2009, 17:07
The color scheme that they choose for the cover is nauseating to say the least.

I'm more interested in seeing some of the new figures, though. Early rumblings indicate that we're going to be paying a lot more money for some really pedestrian sculpts.

Zoolander
18-11-2009, 18:36
The color scheme that they choose for the cover is nauseating to say the least.

I'm more interested in seeing some of the new figures, though. Early rumblings indicate that we're going to be paying a lot more money for some really pedestrian sculpts.

Not if the last few army books were any indication! I hope you are wrong regardless!

Talash
18-11-2009, 18:40
As a person with good taste I demand that a picture that adorns the cover fulfill certain quality criteria, especially in a hobby that has so much to do with art, painting and the art of painting. It directly affects my feelings and/or sympathy towards the army. I shudder each and every time I have to take up my Vampire Counts book, which I think is a bad thing, while I rejoice when I see my beloved Lizardmen book (the cover of which is inarguably one of the best pieces of art in 7th Ed).

Taste in art is a highly subjective thing, and what you may think is great others may disagree with. I don't particularily mind the Vampire Counts army book cover, and don't think the current Lizardmen book cover is all that - I prefered the previous edition's cover.

Also, saying that you are a "person with good taste" is a pointless statement - Almost everyone thinks they have good taste. Few people when asked would say "oh no, I have terrible taste" would they?

Though I agree that this new cover is not as good as the previous, I don't think it's all THAT bad except for some... Awkward colouring.

sulla
19-11-2009, 04:24
I'm more interested in seeing some of the new figures, though. Early rumblings indicate that we're going to be paying a lot more money for some really pedestrian sculpts.I have plenty of bestigors, gors and ungors anyway. I'll be happy to not pay a lot more money for some really pedestrian sculpts. :D

The SkaerKrow
24-11-2009, 01:02
So, with the potential loss of Chaos Trolls and Dragon Ogres, I'm really hoping that Minotaurs either make the jump to Strength 5 base, or get access to some sort of hand weapons that grant them +1 Strength (like Chaos Knight Ensorcelled Weapons). Strength 4 just isn't what it used to be, I fear.

Thoughts?

loveless
24-11-2009, 15:32
So, with the potential loss of Chaos Trolls and Dragon Ogres, I'm really hoping that Minotaurs either make the jump to Strength 5 base, or get access to some sort of hand weapons that grant them +1 Strength (like Chaos Knight Ensorcelled Weapons). Strength 4 just isn't what it used to be, I fear.

Thoughts?

I'll agree.

While it may make some sense (not much) for Kroxigor to be S 4 (aren't they general laborers or something outside of battle?), Minotaurs are effectively bred for war.

However, something else may provide the heavy hits, depending on the stats of new additions in the book.

The SkaerKrow
24-11-2009, 16:10
Well, Kroxigor ran smack into GW's new policy of wanting to keep Strength 7 in check. They should be Strength 5 Initiative 1 with Halberds, but instead GW went the other route and made them Strength 4 with Great Weapons.

Cortomaltese
24-11-2009, 16:50
was anybody asking for the picture?!
http://gwutil.com/newpictures/products/Beastmen_EN_550x756.jpg

and is just me, or the "armour" on the minotaur's stomach, sounds like he'll have something similar to ogres' "bull charge"!?

oki.. maybe i'm just arguing...

loveless
24-11-2009, 20:38
I thought of something else.

If I could make a really cool Undivided army with them, I'd pick them up.

With Daemons and Warriors, it's way too easy (and tempting) to go with marks or god-specific options. I'd like something that feels effective without needing to be devoted. Let them be the true "Children of Chaos" and I just might give them a go.

decker_cky
25-11-2009, 00:30
With Daemons and Warriors, it's way too easy (and tempting) to go with marks or god-specific options. I'd like something that feels effective without needing to be devoted. Let them be the true "Children of Chaos" and I just might give them a go.

From the rumblings...sounds like that's the only option. Eg, the letter talked about a new lore of magic, singular. Not 3 lores.

Cacodemon
25-11-2009, 10:41
Supported by the description saying "they worship Chaos in all its forms". This makes me wonder what will happen to the marked Bestigors we used to have. Perchance they'll have banners imitating the effects of Marks, for example frenzy banner.

The SkaerKrow
25-11-2009, 19:45
I don't know how well that this would be received by existing Beast of Chaos players, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gors shift from being Strength 3/Toughness 4 troops to Strength 4/Toughness 3. It would be a move away from Brown Orc Syndrome, of nothing else.