PDA

View Full Version : this is awesome if im right

KayazyAssassin
17-11-2009, 09:44
ok so i got my new skaven book and looking through it all the templates say models touched by the template suffer whatever effects that weapon does is this correct or wishful thinking

xragg
17-11-2009, 10:03
It means you dont have to roll for partials, if thats what you were thinking.

Atrahasis
17-11-2009, 10:31
And yes, it is awesome (unless you're on the receiving end).

2-4x increase in power for template weapons? Don't mind if I do...

T10
17-11-2009, 10:34
:shrugs: Perhaps the next edition of Warhammer will allow for templates to have a greater effect, much like the latest edition of WH40k.

-T10

KayazyAssassin
17-11-2009, 10:44
It means you don't have to roll for partials, if thats what you were thinking.

thats exactly what i thought and i am ecstatic to try this out

Alathir
17-11-2009, 12:36
Yes, its quite true. My gaming group and I have tested applying this rule to every template weapon in the game, and its worked out quite well. It definitely increases the effectiveness of things like Stone Throwers and weaker strength dragon breath.

EvC
17-11-2009, 12:44
:shrugs: Perhaps the next edition of Warhammer will allow for templates to have a greater effect, much like the latest edition of WH40k.

If that's the case (and it almost certainly is), let's hope they bring in a new rule that lets us space our infantry out by an inch otherwise they become even more obselete!

jaxom
17-11-2009, 16:24
What EvC said, +1.

The game is already Monster/Hero-hammer. This will just make ranked infantry even more obsolete. :cries:

yoshimo
17-11-2009, 16:29
nah. it's just evolution in progress. infantry get slaughtered by cavalry, who in turn are eaten by monsters, who in turn get shot up by gunlines and then we all play 40k...

CaliforniaGamer
17-11-2009, 16:32
Welcome to the era of impending Tomb King dominance.

As they say in the deep south: "Nehekhara will rise again."

Aratus
17-11-2009, 16:37
If that's the case (and it almost certainly is), let's hope they bring in a new rule that lets us space our infantry out by an inch otherwise they become even more obselete!

Well thats the worst idea ive heard today.

Ranked units would still be important. The worst template I think we'd be worried about would just be Dwarf Stone Throwers, and the 6th spell from Dark Elves. Stone Throwers and Hellcannons can still scatter like no other (Reason why Dwarf ones are more deadly, they can re-roll that) and at least we get an armor save against Dragon Breath.

What to do about it? Bring War Machine hunters, cause all im afraid of are the ones shooting templates.

Cherrystone
17-11-2009, 16:55
What to do about it?

Deploy in a wider frontage then increase ranks when ready for combat.

(maybe this be a new charge reaction in 8th ed).

EvC
17-11-2009, 16:57
Actually it's a brilliant idea (You can tell because I said it ;) ), infantry really need a "loose formation" option like from the Lustria book to stand a chance these days. Just imagine what a Hydra would do to a typical T3 5+ armour save unit with all partials hitting- i.e. hit pretty much every model and kill them on 2+. Good luck with the warmachine hunters stopping him :D

danny-d-b
17-11-2009, 17:38
if this happens then its the death of ranked infantry apart from a few units every tordement army contain monsters/realy nasty lords and heros (either in combat or magic)/lots of cavalry and very rearly infantry (black guard and VC are the only blocks of infantry that sping to mind)

jaxom
17-11-2009, 18:38
For those thinking armor helps... Chaos Dragon and Salamanders are both -3 to Armor Save. You don't get HW/Shield against that. Knights go pop. Infantry goes pop. And those are just a couple that I can think of off the top of my head. There's a ton of spells which are equally nasty... No more partials on Pit of Shades or spells of that ilk. Someone already mentioned the DE spell...

Removing ranked infantry in favor of 40K-style formations would help against templates but it would also cause mass revolt and vomiting I suspect.

PeG
17-11-2009, 19:22
My hope for 8ed is that GW will increase the strenght of infantry somehow. I would prefer to give at least some infantry units the option of taking spears/pikes and maybe give spears +1S against charging cav and pikes +1S and ASF but other options might be to increase the bonuses for ranks or outnumber.

sulla
17-11-2009, 19:24
If that's the case (and it almost certainly is), let's hope they bring in a new rule that lets us space our infantry out by an inch otherwise they become even more obselete!It will help out heaps against cav armies too though. And against large beasts that were rarely completely under the template.

KayazyAssassin
17-11-2009, 19:55
hey guys slow down this isnt the end of warhammer this is just a rule for one army not all of them which i think fits the race

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-11-2009, 20:24
Ranked units would still be important.

Are you implying that ranked units are important now?:evilgrin:

knightime98
17-11-2009, 23:01
The 5" template now becomes even more of a Mass Weapon of Destruction! Mortars and Helstrom Rocket Battery look out!

If the rumor is true that it'll affect all template weapons.

Dai-Mongar
17-11-2009, 23:04
Mmm... think about how awesome CD artillery could be.