PDA

View Full Version : 40K Infantry/Vehicle Box Artwork - Why has it gone?

Urath
17-11-2009, 17:37
First off, apologies if this should be in 'Other GW' or some other void.

Secondly, where did the excellent artwork that once graced the boxes of vehicle and infantry sets disappear?

I'm thinking of the Chaos Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Khorne Berzerker and the various Chaos/Space Marine vehicles. All of which had excellent images on the front.

Why was this replaced with the models against a photoshopped background? We already had images of the models, suggested paints etc. on the back.

Messiahnide
17-11-2009, 18:04
I miss the box artwork aswell, but thinking back when i first started the hobby back in 2nd edition there was a picture of the minis on the front, the artwork didnt really come in until 3rd edition so to me it seems like there just mixing the two together, i quite like the photoshoped pics tho.

PatrikW
17-11-2009, 18:13
I would think that the photshoped pictures cost less then having an artist do a drawing :\

Should have been nice if gw could put some of the older artwork on there homepage.

Leftenant Gashrog
17-11-2009, 18:18
The wheel turns, in RT it was art covers, 2nd it was pictures, 3rd was art, now pictures again, I'm sure art covers will come back eventually.

lonepilgrim
17-11-2009, 18:21
John Blanche mentioned this in White Dwarf a few issues ago. The art department simply couldn't keep up with the demand for box art so they had to stop painting pictures and start photographing models.

This also serves a practical purpose as it is then easier for the customer to see what they are getting.

John did lament the passing of some of the artwork, though, as some of it was excellent, especially considering the time restraints the artists were under.

Messiahnide
17-11-2009, 18:21
The wheel turns, in RT it was art covers, 2nd it was pictures, 3rd was art, now pictures again, I'm sure art covers will come back eventually.

forgot about rogue trader boxes having artwork, should of done though cos i got a box of rtb01 not 2 foot away from me *smacks face on keyboard*

Sildani
17-11-2009, 18:51
I thought the Falcon's artwork was excellent. I miss it.

I do like the idea of seeing what you're getting right away, though.

Lord Damocles
17-11-2009, 18:54
Pretty pictures are all well and good, but you can see why people might want to get a decent idea of what's actually in the box without having to look at the back.

The current photoshop-tastic boxes are a happy medium between pure artwork and/or just the models.

apple_wood
17-11-2009, 19:51
Havign said all that, back in the 2nd edition days it was just a straight shot of the model on a bog standard green flocked table.

Urath
17-11-2009, 20:32
Indeed, because it's so hard to pick up a box and turn it around...

t-tauri
17-11-2009, 20:44
Off to other GW as it's not just 40k.

eltanko
17-11-2009, 20:47
As much as I do like the Photshop pics, I too think that the artwork should come back, but I can see why they stopped, as I guess it would take a fair amount of work to draw each one. But they did rock!!

ElTanko

Bookwrak
17-11-2009, 21:09
Also, it neatly helps differentiate between the editions the models are from in terms of similar sets. You know that your FLGS got the current set of Guard models and can immediately tell that that's the new hellhound kit, and not the old, single variation one.

catbarf
17-11-2009, 21:23
I think it also has to do with how technology advances. Now, it's fairly cheap to produce an edited photograph putting the contents right in the midst of a battlefield. It gives you a better idea of the contents than art but is much more interesting than just models on a green table.

Grimbad
18-11-2009, 01:11
I always thought the old 40k vehicle box format, without the usual 40k border and massive logos, was intended to look more like a box for a historical model, so as to increase the possibility of accidental purchase by 'uninitiated' relatives gift shopping for modelers.

DDogwood
18-11-2009, 05:19
Personally, I prefer the photos of the models to the artwork. While some of the artwork was excellent, it was also often better than the actual models - and some stores don't put boxes out where people can pick them up, so it's not always possible to turn the box around. Plus you get a smaller picture on the back of the box because they have to have the information in fifteen different languages as well.

Plaguebeast
18-11-2009, 05:36
The shots of models are fine, but get rid of the photoshopped rubbish - it looks extremely tacky. Give me art, or a bog-standard shot.

Plaguebeast

Poseidal
18-11-2009, 10:40
I'd pretty much prefer a plain photo or artwork over a photoshop.

What did the RT artwork look like? I remember the 2nd ed ones though.

Gimp
18-11-2009, 11:05
I liked the old plain photos that were seen back in 3rd ed

TheBigBadWolf
18-11-2009, 13:13
I liked the old plain photos that were seen back in 3rd ed

The plain photos from 3rd edition were far better than the photoshop idea now, but the Art boxes were excellent especially the old Khorne Berserkers/World Eater box

Brother Loki
18-11-2009, 16:24
I think I'm probably the only person in the world that likes the photoshopped pictures.

Batwings
18-11-2009, 21:23
Nah, I'm fine with them too.

Since the studio lacks the manpower to produce colour paintings to grace every box cover, they're a decent compromise between actual art (which would of course be packed with flavor and atmosphere) and sterile photos of the models, brightly lit on a game board.