PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: Rome. Recruitment and ideas thread

Hlokk
25-01-2006, 14:37
Hi guys

This thread is the start of a project to create an open-source setting for the World of Darkness (Mage, Vampire and Werewolf). The locaiton we have decided on is Rome, as this seems to be the european location that has proved most popular with Warseer posters. (We havn't gone for a US city because White Wolf recently released WoD Chicago).

Rome is an excellent setting for the nWoD, because of its history. From the roman empire and the heart of the Camerillia to the scandals rocking the modern day church. The city is riddled with catacombs, gothic architecture and massive modern day edifices stand shoulder to shoulder with ancient structures that dominate the skyline. The city is ripe for suspence, horror and violence.

So whats this project about? Well, its about developing this city into a playable setting for the nWoD, making it suitable for Storytellers to either pick up for one-off games or to run long chronicals through. And this is where you guys come in:

We need volunteers. Yep, we need you.

We need people with vision and drive to help us turn this from an exceptionally cool idea into an exceptionally cool setting for the world of darkness.

So where do you get started? Well, sign up in here. Our first step is going to be to develop a concentual dark history of rome, so that should be really fun.

So what are you waiting for? The more volunteers we get, the sooner we can start!!!

ironduke
25-01-2006, 15:50
cheers Hlokk well you heard the man what are you waiting for?

The plan is to split the volunteers up between the three venues, Mage the Awakening, Werewolf the Forsaken and Vampire the Requiem.

For more details on the three different venues check out the website

www.worldofdarkness.com

cheers Ironduke

Konrad_Curze II
25-01-2006, 16:50
what would i actually have to do?
i always was gonna get into doing an rpg but never knew what to do so i never did.

ironduke
25-01-2006, 16:59
Right we are not developing rules to start with we are developing a city in the World of Darkness that can be used by either of the three venues alone or altogether.

But we need volunteers to help us because it would be a bit too much for both of us alone.

First things first we'll be splitting people up between venues and then developing history and the setting for those venues in Rome.

Does that answer your question?

Konrad_Curze II
25-01-2006, 17:07
yeah i guess so... ill help ya if you want i dont do a whole lot so i can do anything i can help with really

Hlokk
25-01-2006, 17:47
I'll happily volunteer for vampire or werewolf, but preferably not mage, as i cant get my head round it.

*summons wanderingblade*

Konrad_Curze II
25-01-2006, 18:18
yeah i would most prefer to prolly be werewolf, thee vampire then mage...

FireFrenzy
25-01-2006, 18:35
Well i have been to rome:P that help? would this be "new wod" or "cool WoD"? if the previous i want nothign to do with any of you!

Hlokk
25-01-2006, 19:22
this is the New world of Darkness as in Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The forsaken and Mage: The awakening, ie: Not the edition that had Demon: The fallen and Changling (Although I can point you to an updated version of that for the nWoD if you want)

Anyway, lets not turn this into "oWoD was better than nWoD" or vise versa

Hate Train
26-01-2006, 01:08
I'm extremely interested, extremely wanting to participate, and extremely lacking in knowledge. I've never heard of WoD until today, but it sounds fun as hell and having been to Rome, this naturally interests me.
I'm somewhat confused as to the format, will this take the form of an RP thread, or a series of short stories? Will one of you be the "story teller"?

Also, in what ways do werewolves, vampires, and mages in WoD differ from traditional/untraditional lore?

FireFrenzy
26-01-2006, 09:01
Well no dice...

ironduke
26-01-2006, 09:49
For Vampire

http://www.white-wolf.com/vampire/index.php?line=intro

Now ive just checked the site and it seems there are none of this type on there for the other two types of forum so ill have to type up a brief for each

ttfn ironduke

nikolai7
26-01-2006, 10:08
well i would quite like to play a vampire.. im reading through the requiem book at the moment..

Private Bait
26-01-2006, 10:23
Sounds good, I'm definately interested, especially for Vampire/Werewolf. One potential issue, I played and read a lot of the old WoD, is this going to be an issue? I'm in no way against new WoD, but haven't read any of them yet.

ironduke
26-01-2006, 10:40
Depends, will this affect your feelings towards the new world of darkness?

Because all three of the new systems are different to the old world of darkness. THe new system has smoother flowing rules and mechanics and there are a lot less of clans in the new vampire.

I cant vouch for the other 2 but ive been told they are different even when it comes to the background and mechanics.

hope that answers your questions

Hlokk
26-01-2006, 12:38
I cant vouch for the other 2 but ive been told they are different even when it comes to the background
While the oWoD shouldnt be an issue if your into it, there are some fundamental differences between old and new editions which we will have to look at when it comes to developing the location.

ie:
Werewolf no longer has the weaver/wyrm or other w thingy. Pentex inc is gone, as are black spiral dancers. There are no longer 13 tribes of werewolf.

Instead, you have much more freedom as the metaplot is removed. There are 5 tribes of the moon (forsaken), each one fulfilling a different role in forsaken society. These are pitted against the Pure (Vicious werewolves who hate the forsaken for killing father wolf), spirits (Possessed, normal spirits and much nastier ones), the Hosts (Powerful demons who split their conciousness into base animals such as spiders, crows, locusts, snakes and rats).

Things such as the spirit world, totems, auspices and such are still there though.

ie:
Mage no longer has the technocracy, nor does it have 9 groups of magicians.

It now has all magic originating from atlantis (bear with me), 5 types of mage, along with 5 types of magic, allowing for 25 combinations.

So while there is a massive step away from the oWoD background, some things like key motivations and some elements of the background still remain.

Hlokk
31-01-2006, 10:28
Right, I guess this is the limit then.

To date, volunteers are:

Hlokk
Iron_duke
Konrad_Curze II
FireFrenzy
Hate Train
nikolai7
Private Bait

you guys rock!!!

Given the general "meh" attitude towards Mage, i'd advocate the following next steps:

1: Agree the general situation in Rome at the moment between the 7 of us. How do the general factions feel towards one another, how many of each given race are in Rome, who are the main players in each race, etc...

2: As a combined team, i suggest we tackle (In this order) Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, non supernatural denizens, Promethian (if its out by that time). The reason for not splitting into individual project teams is that, should one person drop out, it exponentially increases the work load on others within that team. I have several other commitments at the moment, as im sure many of you do, and I think this is the only realistic way to do it.

3: After each setting is handled, review stage 1.

ironduke
31-01-2006, 14:58
1. you spelt ironduke wrong number 2 i like the rest question is do we create another thread?

Hate Train
01-02-2006, 19:48
I'll start a general thread.