PDA

View Full Version : The books

Tenken
18-11-2009, 00:48
If one were wanting to get into the WotR game and one wanted to view the books, where might one look? Outside the obvious place of a GW store.

I just want to learn how the game is played generally and get to understand it. What books would I need to read? Does the LotR book have any use or is the WotR book a newer version? What's the deal with that?

Some friends of mine and I are thinking of getting into the game, and it's suck a bother to only be able to browse over the book at a GW store. Could some one help us out?

lorelorn
18-11-2009, 01:07
There are two different games. The one you want is called War of the Ring. There is only one book necessary, and it sounds as though you have managed to identify it.

As for a solution to your seemingly intractable problem - have you considered buying the book you want to read?

Tenken
18-11-2009, 01:18
There are two different games. The one you want is called War of the Ring. There is only one book necessary, and it sounds as though you have managed to identify it.

As for a solution to your seemingly intractable problem - have you considered buying the book you want to read?

My friend and I are pry going to go halvies on the starter box (he wants goblins, I'm thinking gondor, but the fellowships a good place to start anyhow), but I don't know when I'll be able to afford the box. Just being able to look at and learn the rules would be quite nice. It isn't as though I'm some sort of pirate!:angel:

lorelorn
18-11-2009, 06:47
You're still getting the games confused.

War of the Ring (aka WotR)

Lords of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (aka SBG)

These are two separate games that happen to use the same miniatures, but they play quite differently.

Your first post mentions WotR, and your second talks about Mines of Moria.

The Mines of Moria boxed set is the starter for the SBG. You can also buy the SBG rule book separately.

There is no box for WotR, only the War of the Ring book. If you are intending to play WotR, buying the Mines of Moria set is not a good way to start.

Tenken
18-11-2009, 07:04
You're still getting the games confused.

War of the Ring (aka WotR)

Lords of the Rings Strategy Battle Game (aka SBG)

These are two separate games that happen to use the same miniatures, but they play quite differently.

Your first post mentions WotR, and your second talks about Mines of Moria.

The Mines of Moria boxed set is the starter for the SBG. You can also buy the SBG rule book separately.

There is no box for WotR, only the War of the Ring book. If you are intending to play WotR, buying the Mines of Moria set is not a good way to start.
The SBG is the smaller scale game right? That's pry the one we're going to be doing. Having two sets of rules for one set of models is confusing.:eyebrows:

VeriNasti
18-11-2009, 08:28
Yeah, SBG is the smaller game. It is pretty good fun IMO

wilsongrahams
18-11-2009, 15:20
To help out, SBG uses each model individually, WotR uses models on trays of eight or two when mounted.
If starting small start with SBG and when you have a huge army, only then consider WotR.

Tenken
18-11-2009, 15:40
To help out, SBG uses each model individually, WotR uses models on trays of eight or two when mounted.
If starting small start with SBG and when you have a huge army, only then consider WotR.

That was the plan. I was just confused by the two rule-sets one model set thing going on, but I think I've got it all figured out now.

brain_dead_1st
18-11-2009, 17:59
SBG is by far the best and most balanced rules system released by GW,

Mines of moria is a good intro to the game, and the fellowship to lend models to a few other armies so dont worry they are not wasted.

I advise you have a go, then get into a gaming club either GW or independent.
Post questions and those of us who like to think we know stuff will try and help