PDA

View Full Version : 1500p All-round horde competitive Skaven

yorch
18-11-2009, 00:37
Hi all!

I finally got my own copy of the new skaven book and soon I'll start testing the list with some friends. However, I'll start the test against two powerful foes, competitive DE and DoC lists. Maybe it's too soon, but I will try to make a tourney skaven list (for non-tourney lists I don't need advice, as I field what I want at the moment, usually themed lists). Fortunately, I think the new skaven list is really powerful at the 1500 point tag, better than the last one (I've been playing with skaven for 13 years now :)).

I'll show the list now, with my comments below:

Plague priest............................................ .......[189]
-2xDispel Scroll
-Magic Level 2
-Flail

19 Plague Monks............................................. .[198]
-Standard bearer, musician
-Storm banner

25 Clanrats.......................................... ...........[207]
-Shield, spears
-Weapon Team: Warpfire thrower

25 Clanrats.......................................... ...........[192]
-Shield, spears
-Weapon Team: Ratling gun

21 Skavenslaves...................................... ........[44]
-Musician

-Musician

-Musician

10 Night runners........................................... ...[70]

7 Plague censer bearers....................................[112]

7 Plague censer bearers....................................[112]

Doomwheel......................................... ............[150]

5 Giant rats + Packmaster.................................[23]

TOTAL: 1500 points, 191 minis

As a skaven player, I want to play a horde army, and thanks to the new plague priest capabilities, I can field a lone character that will be my general and scroll caddy at the same time. This allows me to field a lot of minis while still getting some nasty machines, as the warpfire-thrower, ratling gun and the almighty doomwheel (awesome mini... I will field it in every game).

Plague censer bearers:
In less competitive environments, I will field rat ogres, but in this case, I think plague censer bearers are compulsory. The size of the units is 7 because if they get to combat untouched, 7 is the maximum number of models that can fight against the front of a common RnF infantry.

Clanrats:
I've decided to try spears for three reasons. Many of my clanrats are already mounted with spears, they look cooler, and I think they may worth 12.5 points per unit. Against two handed weapon nasties (dwarfs, bloodletters) or weak infantry (many undead units, goblins, other skavens) they can be very useful in my opinion. I can be wrong, though.

Weapon teams:
I suppose many of you will think why I used a ratling gun... I think they still worth it. Sure, they get a lot less impacts than before, but they got improved range, and I think they have more versatility than the other weapon teams. Warpfire-thrower is very good against RnF infantry, so I needed an all-round weapon team. Just that.

Slavens and giant rats:
The sheer amount of these units should give me a big superiority in the number of units in game, so I will have a lot of tactics at my disposal to get flank charges and control the pestilens units.

And that's it. What do you think of it? I know it's a harsh list, but get in mind I will test it against competitive lists of DE and DoC :rolleyes: (and in normal games I will use stormvermin, assasins and rat ogres just because I love the minis).

KidDiscordia
18-11-2009, 02:47
I'm a bit skeptical about the Giant Rat configuration. While being cheap they don't seem to be able to take any abuse before they are eliminated as flankers, especially against armies with missile fire. Perhaps combining them to make 12 model units would allow you to take some damage as tehy are moving in.