PDA

View Full Version : giant rats. awesomness or not so much?

General Squeek Squeek
18-11-2009, 09:54
After reading the skaven book I am very impressed with the new giant rats. Their minimum is almost 10pts cheaper then before, and you now dont have to buy a ton of packmasters if you dont want to. In addition they fight in 2 ranks. I don't see how this unit hasn't gotten more attention. Sure 1 unit alone isnt much, but for roughly 15OCR you can have a unit of 20 guys that move 6 and can really screw up any fast cav from getting to your flanks (plus fast cav will most likely lose if they charge this unit in the front). And if you spam the unit a couple times over you can guarantee your flanks will be protected from cheap fast cav and other light skirmishers. Plus if they get ignored they'll demolish warmachines and archer units.

The biggest problem I see with them right now is that they don't really have any good models that are easy to get vast numbers of them in.

am I missing something that makes them not worth their price tag?

Grimmeth
18-11-2009, 10:51
You do get a lot of extra rats floating about on various Skaven sprues though I believe, so with a bit of ingenious thinking (perhaps doubling up smaller ones on one base) it may be a little easier making up the numbers.

On paper they look brilliant, lots of potential attacks for a cheap, throw away, relatively fast unit that can still have decent(ish) leadership - just remember that the packmasters don't count for rank bonus when planning where they'll sit in the unit.

stashman
18-11-2009, 10:57
On paper they look brilliant, lots of potential attacks for a cheap, throw away, relatively fast unit that can still have decent(ish) leadership - just remember that the packmasters don't count for rank bonus when planning where they'll sit in the unit.

Really don't understand this? Sorry?

But both packmasters and giant rats have Strength in numbers rule.

Max_Killfactor
18-11-2009, 12:07
As I'm kicking around lists inside my head, I'm considering them more and more.

They are one of the better flank protectors we have and the cheapest redirectors. A min sized unit is much cheaper and more manuverable than a unit of slaves... just gotta keep them inside of the general's LD. A block of them is probably one of the better choices for death frenzy too.

JonnyTHM
18-11-2009, 12:28
- just remember that the packmasters don't count for rank bonus when planning where they'll sit in the unit.

That rule is actually only for Rat ogres.

beaumontbrawler
18-11-2009, 14:20
As I'm kicking around lists inside my head, A block of them is probably one of the better choices for death frenzy too.

45 attacks from a 115 point unit? Yes, please!!! :eek:

decker_cky
18-11-2009, 16:28
You do get a lot of extra rats floating about on various Skaven sprues though I believe, so with a bit of ingenious thinking (perhaps doubling up smaller ones on one base) it may be a little easier making up the numbers.

Plague monks, moulder and the doomwheel all have a bunch of them, so you should get a decent number from those units. Add in a few of these older metals (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat50042&prodId=prod1140249) to give a little size and variety to the giant rats and you should have plenty.

BTW, from my first test game, they're very handy. They have more than the advantages of AHW or spears (always attack in 2 ranks + handlers, but don't lose attacks quicky) on a dirt cheap unit.

Nu Fenix
19-11-2009, 01:05
I love them, and use them both as large units 30+ with a Master Moulder with Great Weapon, and also minimum units which I use as charge bait and distractions.

I like them because the price difference versus Clanrats becomes noticeable, and whilst they don't get armour, I don't plan to use weapon teams which is the main benefit from Clanrats.

Locally, I am the only Skaven player to use them, which on one hand is good because it helps my army seem different, but on another makes me wonder if I'm seeing them as better then they are. Fingers crossed I can get all the spare rats from everyone tho!

Also, in regard to Death Frenzying them, if they had Skweel with them and ideally rolling Poison, that will be alot of 6's that can get around High Toughness but low armour enemies.

16 Giant Rats per box of Plague Monks is a good way to build up your blocks, and so buying five boxes of Monks, two boxes of Packmasters/Rat Ogres and a couple of donated models means I have almost 100 Giant Rats. Now all I need to do is convert more Packmasters...

theunwantedbeing
19-11-2009, 01:10
23pts for 6 us1 models that wont take a panic test untill reduced to 4 models.
Also mv6 and can fight in 2 ranks.
You can throw these at wizards in units and kill the wizard with your 6 attacks.

Brilliant unit.

Max_Killfactor
19-11-2009, 11:51
23pts for 6 us1 models that wont take a panic test untill reduced to 4 models.
Also mv6 and can fight in 2 ranks.
You can throw these at wizards in units and kill the wizard with your 6 attacks.

Brilliant unit.

Yup.

Really going to retool my Skaven list for my next battle. So far I've just been flipping through the book and going "holy #&$#! that's awesome! I'm taking two!" Haven't even tried giant rats yet, even though I think they look like one of the pest point-for-point units in our book.

I think it's going to take awhile for people to figure out the best Skaven builds. We got so much new stuff and so many crazy rules... nothing is very consistant, so you need to play a lot of games to get a better feel. With Dark Elves and Lizardmen, I was able to come up with a fairly optimal list after flipping through the sample book at our store... Skaven are not as straight forward... it's going to take a lot of tinkerering... yes-yes