PDA

View Full Version : New to warhammer, this is my 2nd try at a competative WoC list

Snogens
18-11-2009, 10:13
Core:

5 x Marauderer hoursemen with light armor, flails and MoS 90p
5 x Warhounds 30p
5 x Warhounds 30p
5 x Warhounds 30p
5 x Warhounds 30p
5 x Warhounds 30p
5 x Warhounds 30p

Special:

6 x Chaos knights with ensorcelled weapons, a musician and MoN 280p
1 x Chaos chariot with MoK 150p

Rare:

Giant with MoS 265p
Giant with MoS 265p

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer lvl 1 on chaos steed 101p
(with dispell scroll)
(with dispell scroll)
(with dispell scroll)

Chaos lord on juggernaut of khorn, MoK and GW 292p
Chaos runesword 50p
Armor of damnation 45p
Acid ichor 15p

70 units

total 2675p (not counting dispell scrolls)

all inputs are very welcome.... what can i do better? what is good? and what is worthless?

/S

Kornath
18-11-2009, 10:19
I normally use 3*Horseman with LA, flails and MoK

Too many warhounds... Too many.

3*5 knights is good, but full command.

I dunno the chariot since I never use one, but I think there are better things to choose.

I've got nothing on giants, I usually kit out my sorcerers instead.

If you plan to use magic, you might as well just drop them. A better idea would be to make all of them level two (This is if you drop the warhounds and/or giants).

Chaos lords are nice, but compared to a sorcerer lord... You get my point.
The fact he is frenzy doesn't make it better, no matter how much pain he can lash out.

Snogens
18-11-2009, 10:35
how about this then?

Core:

5 x Marauderer hoursemen with light armor, flails and MoS
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds
5 x Warhounds

Special:

6 x Chaos knights with ensorcelled weapons, full command and MoN

Rare:

Giant with MoS

Heroes:

Chaos Sorcerer lvl 2 on chaos steed
(with dispell scroll)
(with dispell scroll)
(with dispell scroll)

Chaos lord on juggernaut of khorn, MoK and GW
Chaos runesword
Armor of damnation
Acid ichor

total 2425p (not counting dispell scrolls)

danny-d-b
18-11-2009, 10:43
I'd change one unit of chaos knigts to a unit of dragon ogers, as there great tin openers and great at dealing with anything with a 2+ or better save (knights and the like) which the knights may struggle with though don't send them up unsupported in to ranked infantry (unless its to the side or rear)

other than that maybe swap one of the level 2s for a level 4 and the lord for an exalted?

MarcoPollo
18-11-2009, 22:25
The 2nd list is trimmer and more well thought out. I believe that mark of T on the knights is a better value. But not as cool. I also think that a chaos lord is not needed. I would suggest dropping completely and making a sorceror a sorceror lord as well. If you however do not want to drop the model because it is so nice, then take him as an exalted battle standard bearer. Frenzy is such a pain to work with.

I also agree with a post earlier about dragon ogres. The variety it adds helps. Sure the models aren't as nice, but they do a job that most other units cannot. Plus they have 4 wounds each and with great weapons have M7 and St7. A very rare combo in the army for just 231 pts for 3.

You don't need full command on your knights. Save some points and only take standards (first priority), musicians (2nd priority) and champions (3rd priority). Also your horsemen should all have musicians as a first priority.

I love the giant, I don't care if it is not worth its points. You gotta have a little fun!

Bauknefer
19-11-2009, 00:31
I dont see the point of unit champs for the knights. Also Why a greatweapon for the Lord if he has a magic weapon... and if the sorc's were for magic defense (hence the scrolls) why make them level 2's Dont use level 2's unless you want to get a strong magic phase in which case go big or go home. now maybe if you wanted a balanced army the level 2's (with some magic kit like puppet book of secrets and power familiers) rather then scrolls and take the awesome chaos lord o'Death with im Runesword and Crown of Everlasting conquest. but with 3 units of knights you dont need another hammer unit. so having a Sorc lord with this army may be a good idea. But there is not an anvil in the army it seems. so increase your hitting power so you dont need one. If you are on the receiving end i think you will lose. Magic may help.

D'Haran
19-11-2009, 02:13
For a cheaper rare choice you could take 2 spawn instead of a giant, it doesn't hit as hard but you can use them to draw attention and tie up some units for a few turns as they don't break.

The killy cc lord is cool, but many people feel that WoC excels at offensive magic, and really they do. You may want to read over the lores of magic they have and consider how damaging they could be, however if you're really set on the killy lord it can work just use it wisely or you may see it die/not kill much.

You may not want to give only scrolls to your mages, there's some nasty magic items that are amazing. For instance the puppet is too good to pass up, if you need those scrolls that much it's a good bet your opponent will be getting miscasts... the puppet can in many cases auto screw enemy casters in that occurrence. Just food for thought.

sulla
19-11-2009, 05:32
Looks boring.

Sorry, but it does. So many spammed units. Dull to play against, probably dull to assemble and paint. The chaotic hordes of chaos look very orderly to me. Perhaps you play against a very power gamer heavy group, but if not, I don't think you need to distill the WoC list down to it's few most powerful units, you can still field some variety in there.

PeG
19-11-2009, 05:42
Using champions in units with characters is usually a good idea to protect them from challenges. Otherwise you can save the points but you do want standards and musicians with knights. As pointed out before dragon ogres can be a nice addition due to high S and also they are immune to lightning which is becoming more useful now when skaven has a new book (such as for taking out the doomwheel).
For casters I prefer a more conventional setup with a lvl4 supported by several lvl1 (possibly one or more lvl2 if I have the points but usually I prefer kitting the lvl1s).