PDA

View Full Version : 2k mounted Dark Elves

LiamTaylor
18-11-2009, 18:31
Hi, I currently collect VC and was lookng for a change in the near future and fancied the idea of a fully mounted army.
There are a few choices (Emp/HE to a degree/Chaos) but I eventually decided on Dark Elves, mainly because I like the cold one models.

I have never used DE under the current rules but I know I don't really want a hydra in the list definately not two, but with no foot models, so no assassin don't know whether or not it would be too bad.

Anyway my first draft of the list is below, still quite a few points short of 2k and need some help with where to place certain items in the list but anyway:

Dreadlord: Lance, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth.

255pts
Master: HA, SH, SDC, CO, BSB w/ hydra banner

214pts
Master: HA, SH, SDC, Lance

114pts
Sorceress: Dark Steed, 2 Dispel

162pts

3 x 5 Dark Riders: 3 x mus
3 x 92pts
2 x 5 Harpies
2 x 55pts

5 Cold One Knights: f/c - Standard of Slaughter
210pts
5 Cold One Knights: f/c -
175pts
5 Cold One Knights: f/c
175pts

Which leaves me on 1691pts
Questions:
Ring of Hotek: Cold One Dread Knight or Master or Dreadlord???
If not dreadlord what else to give him if anything???
What else to spend points on: extra unit of COK or Chariot or both or something else???
Repeater Xbows on Dark Riders???
More Harpies???

Basic Plan is very fast moving, harpies distract war machines, even if dont kill doesn't matter, should I make them bigger to gaurentee kills, possibly 2 x 7 and a 6?. Dreadlord and each master take a Knight Unit each to sit in, sorceress bunkers in one of the Dark Rider Units that harassess fast movers and other things quite safely, should this unit have Xbows?

Any help would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Liam

Philip Bright
18-11-2009, 19:16
I would drop ether Armour of Eternal Servitude or Pendant of Khaeleth since it no fun to face this build! Also consder drop the dredlord since you can do the same thing with normal masters.

I would use two lv2 sorceress or none since you can get decent magic capability out of these two.

I would used shielded dark riders as the core of the army. This is a interesting unit sice they are so cheap that you can rank then up. Also with a master with gem of nightmares they get fear causing... Also they have a movement of 9, that means charge round 2!

I would take x-bows on my unshielded dark riders so they can support the main army.

This would help you bring up the points to 2000-2250pts. Hope you get some inspiration.

LiamTaylor
18-11-2009, 19:54
Revised List:

Dreadlord: Lance, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, Potion of Strength
285pts

Master: HA, SH, SDC, Lance CO, BSB w/ hydra banner
214pts

Master: HA, SH, SDC, Lance, CO
114pts

Sorceress: Dark Steed, 2 Dispel
162pts

3 x 5 Dark Riders: 3 x mus, repeater x bows
3 x 117pts

2 x 5 Harpies
2 x 55pts

5 Cold One Knights: f/c - Standard of Slaughter
210pts
5 Cold One Knights: f/c -
175pts
5 Cold One Knights: f/c
175pts

changed the list slightly, have to keep the lord really, my group has a lot of dragons, and hydras running around, with the potion of strength I feel he can even if he does get stuck in combat, deal some damage out a few turns in a row to get rid of a big nasty.
The dark Riders have been given repeater xbows for harrassment, still need to find another 200pts from somewhere to add in, not a fan of shielded dark riders, lose the important fast cavalry rule and you need at least 15 of them to be of any use.

Possible options:
Hydra plus a few extra harpies
Extra unit of Cold One Knights
Chariot plus more harpies
Something else entirely

Thanks

Liam

jthdotcom
18-11-2009, 20:30
Could put the dreadlord on a manticore? Would mean he's on his own, but with potion of strength and a lance he's what S7/8 on the charge? And have 5 harpies flying round with him, he can charge the front, harpies in flank or rear, plus terror tests. Repeater crossbows on dark riders would be good, just gives them that extra bit of flexibility

LiamTaylor
18-11-2009, 20:52
Right got a 2k list written up:
Any thoughts would be much appreciated:

Dreadlord: Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, Potion of Strength
285pts
Master: Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One, BSB w/ Hydra Banner
214pts
Master: Lance, Heavy Armour, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One, Seal of Ghrond
144pts
Sorceress: Dark Steed, 2 Dispel Scrolls
162pts

2 x 5 Dark Riders: Musician, Repeater Crossbows
2 x 117pts
5 Dark Riders: Musician
92pts
2 x 5 Harpies
2 x 55pts

5 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Standard of Slaughter
210pts
5 Cold One Knights: Full Command, Ring of Hotek
200pts
5 Cold One Knights: Full Command
175pts

Hydra
175pts

Total: 2001pts

Still Think it could be improved in some way though. Short of totally remounting the lord on a dragon/manticore I dont know where to go with it though

Liam

tmarichards
19-11-2009, 15:39
Looks like a pretty sound list... personally I prefer 2 levels 2s but that's just me...
Can't help but think you might struggle against things like a Doomwheel, Steam Tank or Engine because of the lack of high strength shooting that bolt throwers can provide
Also, I really wouldn't advise a manticore, T5 is admittedly pretty good, but just 4 wounds and no armour save means that high strength shooting like bolt throwers, Dwarfs, Engine, Doomwhell will make short work of 200pts.
On thing I've noticed that will save you a few points though- the Armour of Etenal Servitude counts as heavy armour already, so you don't need to equip him with HA separately. One other thing- the shield on the Lord is a bit superfluous due to his already awesome combination of 2+ save, regen and reverse ward save, so maybe drop the shield, lance and potion of strength and give him Crimson Death for 25pts? Permanently S6... I find it works nicely
Just a few thoughts, I'm also fairly new to DEs though

DarkIronfist
19-11-2009, 19:40
no ring? take another master and give him the ring, a lvl 2 alone wont boost u'r magic to great heights anyway..

LiamTaylor
20-11-2009, 18:05
Hi all,
Been thinking about this army quite a bit and decided the hydra was more there because its good in the game rather than it being a fully part of the theme so I have decided to drop it and re jig the army a bit, mainly to include a dragon :)

Dreadlord - Lance, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Dragon, Armour of Eternal Servitude, Pendant of Khaeleth, Potion of Strength
Master - Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield, Sea Drag Cloak, Cold One BSB w/ Hydra Banner
Sorceress - Dark Steed, 2 Dispel Scrolls

3 x 5 Dark Riders - Musicians, Repeater Crossbows
3 x 117
5 Cold One Knights - f/c, Standard of Slaughter
5 Cold One Knights - f/c, Ring of Hotek
5 Cold One Knights - f/c,

2 x 5 Harpies
2 x 55

Total: 1997pts

Opinions, I think it adds up right :S

tmarichards
21-11-2009, 09:39
Not sure about the Potion of Strength... the blurb says it may be used 'at the start of any close combat', so it'll only be any use if the dragon gets charged.

I'd still say drop the Shield, Lance and Potion for Crimson Death, it'll save you 14 pts

Also, maybe try and fit even just 5 Shades in? I find them unbelievable useful... I think that they could be in character with the rest of the army- the Lord has hired a party of autarii to scout for his fast-moving raiding force perhaps?