PDA

View Full Version : 2 handed weapons and mounts

god octo
25-01-2006, 18:13
Can a rider of a montrous mount or a normal mount use a two handed weapon such as a great weapon or a pair of two hand weapons? This has probabily been asked before but on asrai.org somebody came up with the idea of giving a mage wild fire blades, but an argument started about can she use the weapons while mounted on a unicorn. Something which also confuses me is that many chars mounted on dragons and the like wield a great weapon.

Can you help me please?

Flame
25-01-2006, 18:27
Great weapons, yes, Additional hand weapons, no.

Its in the weapons section of the rulebook.

Shield of Freedom
25-01-2006, 18:29
NO WHERE in the rules does it state that riding a mount into battle of ANY kind uses up one of a character's hands. If that were true then how would Knights be able to carry thier hand weapon/Lance/spear and a shield?

Yes, you may carry a two-handed weapons while mounted, whether it's a steed or a multi-wound creature. Bretonnia Questing Knights for example (the army I play) all carry Greatswords.

Under the rule for "Hand weapon" however, it states that only one weapon may be used while mounted. But this brings together an arguement, magic weapons do not count as "hand weapons" after all you can't get a +1 to your Sv for a magic sword and a shield while on foot. So if it's a magic weapon that effectively uses up both hands...even if the "item" is a pair of small blades I don't see why not since the "Hand weapon" rule doesn't apply to it.

Skaven-win
25-01-2006, 18:36
Mdls on mounts may use 2handed wpns or pairs. They have the skills to do so. Nothing in the rule book states that they can't. If they can find a section that proves me wrong, pls post the page number.

If a goblin can learn to fire a bow on wolf back.....I'm sure more skilled troops would be able to learn such skills as welding two wpns or a great wpn.

Characters will carry the great wpn on mount, because they'll be striking first on the charge. After that I'm sure they'll use some or wpn.

Skaven-win
25-01-2006, 18:40
sorry missed the "on foot" in the using two hand wpn. Ie- no benefits if mounted, but they can still have them.

Shield of Freedom
25-01-2006, 20:06
sorry missed the "on foot" in the using two hand wpn. Ie- no benefits if mounted, but they can still have them.

Yes, I beleive that is the correct way of putting it.

They may carry two hand weapons, but unless on foot they will not recieve the +1A for the second hand weapon. Just like the hand weapon and shield rule goes.

Again, if it's a magic item that takes up both hands (whether it's "one" item or "two") then you can definitely still take it while mounted.

wow, just caught what I typed, he he...... "can definitely still take it while mounted" lol.....

Nell2ThaIzzay
25-01-2006, 21:19
In regards to this magic item questioning...

A mounted model can still take a shield, with a magic weapon, if the model is allowed to buy a shield, correct?

Obviously not for a hand weapon and shield combo, but just for the regular armor save that a shield provides?

god octo
25-01-2006, 21:30
Thanks, just i had two people telling me different things.

Skaven-win
25-01-2006, 22:18
only thing that matters is what the rule book states.

I try to state what the book does as best I can, but I'm only human and can and morethen likely miss something now and then..Thats why I read 3times over everything. and then highlight if very important.

Flame is wrong about not being able to take 2hand wpns, but it might state specially in that wpns profile(don't know) You just don't get any bonuses of have them, Unless the mount is killed and you come to be on foot.

Unless someone can prove otherwise( which they can't unless its in FaQ of Errata) I am right. You can take it, just don't expect to get the "on foot" bonuses.

Prove me wrong wihtin the rule book and I will forever be a servant( till I posion you)

Flame
25-01-2006, 22:28
I never said you couldn't take AHW if you are mounted.

The question was can you use (as in, I assume get benefits/penalties from), to which the answer is no (as I put)

You should really read what people put before you say it is incorrect :rolleyes:

Skaven-win
25-01-2006, 23:07
sorry, but most people use the word "use" as being able to take as a viable selection. Again sorry, at least I wasn't the only one who thought thats what you and god octo meant.

favorite quote, "assumtion is the mother of all F@#$ups"

WildFire Blades or whatever it is, must be used as a pair to gain any benefits. This is an assumption, based on the fact the wpn works as a pair, Yin and Yang.

LOL Anybody have the lastest FaQ's handy?

Flame
26-01-2006, 12:28
Riiiight, because when in combat I say I'm going to use my Great Weapon, what I actually mean is that I can take a Great weapon :rolleyes:

Griefbringer
26-01-2006, 15:08
sorry, but most people use the word "use" as being able to take as a viable selection.

Well, the regulars here on the rules forum are usually quite keen on this distinction - especially as the rules tend to be more strict about what a combatant can use than what it can take (for example a model armed with magical sword can take other non-magical close combat weapon, but will not be able to use it - with the exception of Bretonnians and lances).

god octo
26-01-2006, 16:02
sorry, i didnt mean to offend you guys! Some poeple on another site and my friend were telling me two different things. You guys are all really helpful. So you can use a AHW but they do not gain +1 attack if mounted.

Skaven-win
26-01-2006, 19:59
Well, the regulars here on the rules forum are usually quite keen on this distinction .

tis good to know cause alot of people don't catch the difference, epecially around my area.

lets just say there's a lot of experience lacking gamers around my area.

I have to point out exactly how the "look out sir" worked and thats pretty basic.

EvC
27-01-2006, 00:25
sorry, i didnt mean to offend you guys! Some poeple on another site and my friend were telling me two different things. You guys are all really helpful. So you can use a AHW but they do not gain +1 attack if mounted.

You've got the distinction the wrong way round- if mounted you can -take- an AHW but you may not -use-it. Just being picky! :p

Festus
27-01-2006, 08:33
Hi

You've got the distinction the wrong way round- if mounted you can -take- an AHW but you may not -use-it. Just being picky! :p
The be really picky:

You may take them AND you may use them, but you will not gain any benefit from them (no +1A).

Greetings
Festus

Yak
27-01-2006, 22:46
What about magic items like Reagath's Wild Fire blades? These are two magical hand weapons, giving +1 attack and making them maigcal and flaming. Can they be used by a mounted model?

Griefbringer
28-01-2006, 09:00
What about magic items like Reagath's Wild Fire blades? These are two magical hand weapons, giving +1 attack and making them maigcal and flaming. Can they be used by a mounted model?

Since they are magical, rules for mundane weapons do not apply - so unless there is something in their description forbidding it, they can be used to full effect by a mounted model.

EvC
28-01-2006, 13:06
Brilliantly, the rules for Marius Leitdorf (as published in the latest WD) not only let him take an additional hand weapon's attack in addition to regular attacks from a magic weapon, but he can even do it whilst mounted. Now that's what I call a special character!

Avian
28-01-2006, 13:13
Now only if he was a competent fighter... :D

Crux
28-01-2006, 13:58
Hmm, I've completely forgotten about that rule. How about Empire Pistoliers? Do they have some special rule for their brace of pistols, or have I been cheated?

Avian
28-01-2006, 13:59
Pistoliers have the Fusilade rule, which lets them fight with two pistols even though they are mounted.
They can still only fire one pistol in the shooting phase, though.