PDA

View Full Version : Unit Champions and the Enchanted Shield

ghettob
19-11-2009, 08:02
Ok, I love giving my phoneix guard champion an enchanted shield so that he can gain a 2+/4+ for challenges.

My question is about his ability to use this combo and still have the rest of the unit use halbreds.

My understand is that since the PG champ is treated like a character he may use HW+shield while my RnF use halbreds.

Dai-Mongar
19-11-2009, 08:08
Champs are only treated as characters in certain circumstances, namely challenges and targeting.

danny-d-b
19-11-2009, 08:11
so inother words he has to use the same weapons as everyone else

Dai-Mongar
19-11-2009, 08:58
That's how I'd interpret it.

shadow hunter
19-11-2009, 09:06
What about units were the champion can take 15 pts (or what ever) of magical weapons? Surely he'd use those rather than still using the same items as his unit????

nosferatu1001
19-11-2009, 09:57
In that case the compunction to use a magic weapon would override the "must use the same weapon as rest of unit" rule

Harwammer
19-11-2009, 10:14
Is the champion even allowed to buy an enchanted shield? Part of the magic armor rules is that you must have access to the mundane equivalent to 'upgrade' and Phoenix guard can't take shields, can they?

Dai-Mongar
19-11-2009, 10:22
Is the champion even allowed to buy an enchanted shield? Part of the magic armor rules is that you must have access to the mundane equivalent to 'upgrade' and Phoenix guard can't take shields, can they?

Good point that. I think in the next edition they'll need to make a mention of champions who can take magic items, as the magic weapon conundrum illustrates.

nosferatu1001
19-11-2009, 11:10
Except it isn't a conundrum? You must use the magic weapon which is a more specific rule than "use the weapon your unit is using"

You cannot take the enchanted shield if you do not have the option to take (or are already equipped with) a shield

EvC
19-11-2009, 11:47
There are certain examples of models in units using different weapons: a unit of knights is not forced to use its hand weapons because its horses are fighting with them ;) Similarly a champion with a magic weapon must use it. The fact that the Phoenix Guard Champion cannot buy a shield, and so cannot buy an enchanted shield means you should never be in the position where this comes up. A Chosen Chaos Warrior Champion could conceivably have a halberd and enchanted shield though, but would have to use halberd if that is selected as the unit's weapon.

The Red Scourge
19-11-2009, 13:29
A Chosen Chaos Warrior Champion could conceivably have a halberd and enchanted shield though, but would have to use halberd if that is selected as the unit's weapon.

'xcept that enchanted shield would have been nicked by the sorcerer running around with an Infernal Puppet, so he can show off with his magic powers and a 0+ save :cheese:

wilsongrahams
19-11-2009, 13:30
Simply buy Armour of Caledor instead as it's within the Champions points limit and you get the save you want - and he already has armour.

stashman
19-11-2009, 18:05
Simply buy Armour of Caledor instead as it's within the Champions points limit and you get the save you want - and he already has armour.

LOL! Maybe he wanted to save points :p

decker_cky
19-11-2009, 21:01
Though it does let him continue attacking with S4 at least.

Kalandros
20-11-2009, 03:09
Can't take Enchanted Shield on Keeper of the Flame, Guardian or Bladelord: These 3 champions do not have the option for a mundane shield, thus no magic shield for them.

sulla
20-11-2009, 03:56
Can't take Enchanted Shield on Keeper of the Flame, Guardian or Bladelord: These 3 champions do not have the option for a mundane shield, thus no magic shield for them. I'm thinking you're not a big fan of reading?:D:p;)

The fact that the Phoenix Guard Champion cannot buy a shield, and so cannot buy an enchanted shield means you should never be in the position where this comes up.

You cannot take the enchanted shield if you do not have the option to take (or are already equipped with) a shield

Part of the magic armor rules is that you must have access to the mundane equivalent to 'upgrade' and Phoenix guard can't take shields, can they?

wilsongrahams
20-11-2009, 09:39
Though it does let him continue attacking with S4 at least.

And makes him immune to fire which is kinda fitting for the Keeper of the Flame!

Seal Cub
20-11-2009, 10:44
Can't take Enchanted Shield on Keeper of the Flame, Guardian or Bladelord: These 3 champions do not have the option for a mundane shield, thus no magic shield for them.

But I thought that shields was counted to mundane armour, otherwise chaos sorcerers would not be able to buy the enchated shield either since they dont have the option to take mundane shields, but have mundane armour. And I've seen a fair share of lists where a sorcerer har the enchanted shield..

nosferatu1001
20-11-2009, 10:51
Magical shields need you to be able to take mundane shields

However WoC are excplicitly allowed to use magical armour and shields, and thsi is cleared up in the FAQ.