PDA

View Full Version : A bit of fun - Warhammery Films

Eternus
19-11-2009, 13:39
Ok, it's fair to see we have a few amusing and light hearted threads, but we have a truck load of serious and tense head wrecking threads, so here is my attempt to redress the balance a little.

What film makes you feel most like having a Warhammer Battle?

I think many films make me feel like having a Warhammer Battle, and other films make me feel like a 40K battle. For Fantasy inspiration I like the Lord of the Rings Films (goes without saying), Kingdom of Heaven and (maybe strangely) the Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe!

Anyone else want to share, before I pinch all the good films?

The Red Scourge
19-11-2009, 13:44
The Brothers Grimm always makes me want to do a WFRPG campaign :)

Eternus
19-11-2009, 14:01
The Brothers Grimm always makes me want to do a WFRPG campaign :)

There's definitely some Warhammery humour in that film.

Darnok
19-11-2009, 14:06
LotR and Kingdom of Heaven are already mentioned, and are both excellent. 300 should be noted. And Sleepy Hollow, because it fits my personal vision of how the Warhammer world should look like.

Whitehorn
19-11-2009, 14:13
So general medieval films and any with supernatural in it?

Army of Darkness
Clash of the Titans
Prince of Persia
The Hobbit
Highlander
Dragonheart
Hellboy II
The 13th Warrior
Dungeons & Dragons
Eragon
Hook
Underworld
Van Helsing
Merlin
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Mummy
Beowulf & Grendel
Beowulf
Stardust
Hercules
Troy
The Golden Compass
Pirates of the Caribbean
Reign of Fire
The Scorpion King

Eternus
19-11-2009, 14:30
So general medieval films and any with supernatural in it?

Army of Darkness
Clash of the Titans
Prince of Persia
The Hobbit
Highlander
Dragonheart
Hellboy II
The 13th Warrior
Dungeons & Dragons
Eragon
Hook
Underworld
Van Helsing
Merlin
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Mummy
Beowulf & Grendel
Beowulf
Stardust
Hercules
Troy
The Golden Compass
Pirates of the Caribbean
Reign of Fire
The Scorpion King

Now you see what you did there? Anyhoo, you forgot Willow. ;)

Grimmeth
19-11-2009, 14:39
Strangely first thing that came into my mind was Willow...

Oddly Children of Men reminded me of a 40k cityfight - towards the end of the film there's a firefight through a ruined slum which really made me want to play a 40k Cityfight game...

Eternus
19-11-2009, 14:45
Strangely first thing that came into my mind was Willow...

Oddly Children of Men reminded me of a 40k cityfight - towards the end of the film there's a firefight through a ruined slum which really made me want to play a 40k Cityfight game...

I like the evil queen's 'elite guard' in Conan the Destroyer as well - they are really cool. Quite Chaos Maraudery, if you will.

Skyven
19-11-2009, 15:15
Odd, for me the one that makes me want to wargame with warhammer specifically is Zulu. I like hordes.

Askil the Undecided
19-11-2009, 15:46
Don't forget Outlander and Pathfinder for some norse madness, perfect for getting a marauder heavy WoC player's blood up. Then again, to do that you could skip the film and listen to some power metal instead.

CommonPirate
19-11-2009, 16:01
Heyo,

I'm a mainly Tomb King player, so obviously The Mummy "trilogy" (though I disliked the 3rd one) gets me doing, as well as the Scorpion King.

Oddly enough Dragonheart always makes me think of getting a Fantasy game going...dunno why.

Col. Frost
19-11-2009, 16:27
Fantasy
Henry V - My plucky Bret bowmen need painting!
Robin Hood (except the Costner-who-was-terrible-but-at-least-Alan-Rickman-was-brilliant version)
Kingdom of Heaven (mentioned) - Drawing inpiration for my Bret's
Lawrence of Arabia - Yeah, its WWI, but still inspires me to create an Araby army one day.

And for 40K
Zulu - makes me want to play an IG-outnumbered-by-nids game.
A Bridge to Far - Could my plucky airbourne guard hold the bridge?

Grimmeth
19-11-2009, 16:47
Lord of the Rings is the really obvious one here isn't it?

Knights Tale got me a very Bretonnian mood recently as well, was sorely tempted to try to get a Bret army started after seeing that.
Luckily the urge wore off (I'd spend YEARS painting all that!)

Or has it...

2theDeath
19-11-2009, 18:11
Lord of the Rings is the really obvious one here isn't it?

Knights Tale got me a very Bretonnian mood recently as well, was sorely tempted to try to get a Bret army started after seeing that.
Luckily the urge wore off (I'd spend YEARS painting all that!)

Or has it...

..How odd 'cause I was watching Braveheart the other day & thinking about a Brett army. I thought it would be good to add a splash of tarten & some blue face paints.

N810
19-11-2009, 18:15
Apocalypto (for Lizardmen) :p
http://www.bioscop.cz/_web/_filmy/b_apocalypto/fotografie/nahledy_nejvetsi/34_apocalypto.jpg

Ps. Starship troopers for 40k (Nids vs Marines/guard)

bludsturm
19-11-2009, 18:34
Alexander Nevsky
Excalibur

CommissarKlink
19-11-2009, 19:03
Haven't seen it yet, but the new Solomon Kane film seems quite appropriate.

Awilla the Hun
19-11-2009, 19:48
Enemy at the Gates. (For Fantasy, that is.)

"Soldiers of the Glorious Red Guards! From now on, it is either Viktoreah, or death! Those who retreat, will be shot!"

Queue shot of High Elves stringing their longbows.

"On my mark, Comrades!" *Commissar blows bugle*

"URRAH!" (Well, you know the rest.)

Hrokka `Eadsplitter
19-11-2009, 20:03
As said; LotR, Kingdom of heaven, Braveheart:)
Painted a whole Orc unit with blue & white after watching Braveheart:) Look pretty weird:P

pointyteeth
19-11-2009, 20:28
the first 15 mintutes or so of Gladiator (on my signal, unleash Hell), Excalibur and Braveheart

GodSlayer
19-11-2009, 20:28
A second vote for the Eragon movie (for the last part at least).

300 also, I like the variety f the evil army. It really has the feeling of magical fantasy creatures.

Dai-Mongar
19-11-2009, 20:34
Red Cliff had me wanting to try a naval game using the General's Compendium rules. And also made me want to play Man O War. :D

enyoss
19-11-2009, 21:54
Warhammer: Waterloo, Sharpe

Necromunda: Blade Runner, Boyz N Tha Hood

Toshiro
19-11-2009, 22:07
second gladiator beginning, that always gets me going :D

Also any of the game movies in warcraft 3 :)

brendel
19-11-2009, 22:21
Krull, always loved that movie.

Witchblade
19-11-2009, 23:20
I cannot fathom why no WH movie has been made yet. Even an animation movie featuring just combat, no plot, would be so awesome already.

The animated teasers of warhammer online rock.

willowdark
19-11-2009, 23:21
You mentioned "The Lion, The witch and the Wardrobe" but in "Prince Caspian" they really took it to another level.

The final scene is almost literally empire vs Wood Elves, with the Empire artillery battering the Wood Elves and massed blocked infantry bearing down on them. But of course, the Wood elves flee, counter charge with multiple Treemen and Wild Riders in the flank.

It's so blatant. :)

Whitehorn
19-11-2009, 23:26
Well I left a few for the rest of you.

My top 5 would have to be, Warhammer:

King Arthur
Braveheart
LOTR
Last Samurai

For 40k:

Star Wars
Starship Troopers (the series more than the film)
Iron Man
Chronicles of Riddicks
Transformers (original tops the list)

Zoolander
19-11-2009, 23:50
Star Wars episodes 1 and 2. After watching Jar Jar Binks for more than 5 mins I want to hurt something. Hurt something bad. So I have the urge to crush someone in a good game of Warhammer! That always relieves the tension. :)

willowdark
20-11-2009, 00:50
If I could have one free kill in life, one choice to murder without fear of the law, it would be Jar Jar Binks.

If I found a lamp with a Genie inside, I'd wish that Jar Jar Binks was real and I'd strangle him. Then I'd make the same wish 2 more times.

Cypher, the Emperor
20-11-2009, 01:11
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Pathfinder
Outlander
Solomon Kane
The Count of Monte Cristo (both the movie with Jesus in it, and the very good anime)
Berserk (the anime, although the comic is much better and much more "warhammer", its essentially a conflict between a chaos lord of slaanesh and a man who is teetering on the edge of becoming a chosen of Khorne)
Highlander, and Highlander: Quest for Vengeance (the anime movie, great flick especially the parts in rome and japan)

just off the top of my head

ChaosVC
20-11-2009, 01:45
13th warrior - inspired me to make a norse legend theme chaos warrior army.

The first LOTR battle scene - reminds me of High elves swordmaster, but the rest of the battle scene from LOTR other than the one in the opening scene are strangely uninspiring for me.

300 - Make me wish it was chaos warriors replacing those spartans in the fight scene because it looks ridculously unrealistic but awesome for a fantasy fight scene.

Alexender, Kingdom of Heaven and gladiator etc - Just makes me want to play historical and total war games more.

(This one is a computer game I am currently playing) Dragon Age - makes me wish that bioware would work with GW to make an RPG game of that sort for sheer epic cinematic gaming of an epic dark fantasy game.

Damocles8
20-11-2009, 02:14
(This one is a computer game I am currently playing) Dragon Age - makes me wish that bioware would work with GW to make an RPG game of that sort for sheer epic cinematic gaming of an epic dark fantasy game.

+1!

Both Conan movies get my fantasy vibe moving....along with Dungeon Siege (yes I know...Uwe Boll should be shot), Red Sonja, even First Knight to an extent

Laughingmonk
20-11-2009, 02:52
Gangs of New York was a big inspiration for my free company.

snurl
20-11-2009, 05:51
Waterloo is a great battle movie.

Eternus
20-11-2009, 09:18
What with people throwing the odd film in there that inspires them to play other games - 'The Warriors' for Necromunda!

Lewzardman
20-11-2009, 11:49
Not a battle film, but Hellraiser has quite a Slaaneshy thing going on.

Eternus
20-11-2009, 12:08
Not a battle film, but Hellraiser has quite a Slaaneshy thing going on.

My WOC's are Slaanesh - I'd love to do a Pinhead conversion as an Exalted Hero.

Turnabout
20-11-2009, 14:23
Twilight:P

spetswalshe
20-11-2009, 14:34
Kingdom of Heaven gets my vote -also Gangs of New York for some Mordheimesque gang fights.

I think Mordheim would make a fantastic film, personally.

orlanth1000
20-11-2009, 14:48
Eragon and pathfinder were both awful and should not be mentioned, Krull as someone said, also look up Dragonslayer and Ladyhawke. The animated Lord of the Rigs is worth look as well as Fire and Ice. Robin Hood the BBC series is amazing. Dracula with Gary Oldman, the beginning scene showing the order of the dragon fluff is cool.

Luisjoey
20-11-2009, 14:56
Beowulf + Pathfinders + 13th Warriors = Chaos Warriors

gormaster
20-11-2009, 15:29
Nothing says go play WH like Mama Mia! Or paint or blog or anything else, please!!!

basher
20-11-2009, 15:36
chic flix when the wife puts one on i'm gone any thing but a chic flick .
films are good but i get more insperation from books gemmel and fiest and the odd warhammer one here and there.got beast in velvet given and its inspired me to do an empire army

Whitehorn
20-11-2009, 15:50
Mad Max, Waterworld, Escape from NY/LA are spot on for a bit of Necromunda, Gorkamorka or Dark Future :)

N810
20-11-2009, 15:52
Blade Runner has a nice dark gothic feel to it. ;)

Bingo the Fun Monkey
20-11-2009, 19:16
For some reason I always dig spaghetti westerns and wu xia kung fu films when painting. That or Heavy Metal (don't really like HM 2k, tho).

The Warlord
20-11-2009, 23:15
Flesh+Blood Captures the dark and decadent side of the Empire very well.

SonofBaharlu
20-11-2009, 23:26
So any Sword and Sandals movies and Wuxia movies? I don't think of Warhammer in them but historical war gaming.

Agnar the Howler
20-11-2009, 23:27
If the Eragon film was like it should have been, then probably that, but since it was the worst excuse for a film made of a great book ever (remember, Twilight wins the award for worst film made out of the worst book ever)...

Fantasy:
LotR
Reign of Fire

W40K:
Black Hawk Down
Starship Troopers

BHD may seem like a slightly odd choice, but to me, it makes me wanna play, especially Cityfight.