PDA

View Full Version : 2k Skaven Newb needs help

Kurisu313
19-11-2009, 14:57
Hi there. I'm a returning old player, and am still very unfamiliar with the current rules and metagame. I've been attempting to write a 2000pt list and want some help with it.

---Lords---
Warlord Sword of Might, Enchanted Shield, Rat-Hound, Tail Weapon, War-Litter 168pts

---Heroes---
Warlock Engineer Level 2 Wizard, 3 Warpstone Tokens 145pts
Warlock Engineer Level 2 Wizard, Warp Energy Condenser 120pts

---Core---
28 Stormvermin Full Command, Warbanner, Shields, Ratling Gun 329pts
25 Clanrats Shields, Full Command, Ratling Gun 187.5pts

15 Giant Rats 3 Packmasters 69pts
15 Giant Rats 3 Packmasters 69pts

20 Skaven Slaves Pawleader 44pts
20 Skaven Slaves Pawleader 44pts

10 Nightrunners Night Leader 78pts
10 Nightrunners Night Leader 78pts

---Special---
5 Jezzails 100pts
10 Poison Wind Globadiers 100pts
5 Gutter Runners Death Runner, Slings 77pts

---Rare---
Doomwheel 150pts
Warplightning Cannon 90pts

The basic plan is that the stormvermin (with Warlord making a 6 wide, 5 rank block) and 3 clanrat regiments make a solid core, joined by their ratling guns to mow down approaching units. The Warlord has 4 S5 attacks, 4 S4 attacks and 2 S3 attacks, not too shabby!

The two skaven slave units flank the storm vermin, protecting their flanks and gaining the generals leadership boost in the process. The warlock engineers each join a clanrat unit, and try to warp lightning enemy units, or cast death frenzy on the storm vermin or giant rat units. The warp-lightning cannon will join them in this role, targeting the biggest, juiciest units.

The giant rat units flank that main core, with their greater speed and large number of attacks they will be dangerous flanking units. The night runners flank them, holding the flanks of the army. With their scout they can be 18" across the board on turn 1. Their duty is to threaten flanks and distant missile units. Any shots that go their way are shots not shooting the important units.

The jezzails and globadiers run anti-cav duty. The globadiers will try to intercept any incoming heavy cavalry unit. One turn of shooting followed my a stand and shoot reaction should kill about 4 knights, even chaos ones.

The gutter runners will attempt to come on from the rear and spend a turn slinging at an artillery piece before charging them.

The doomwheel is a bit of a wild card, since I don't have any expectations on how it'll play yet.

Any thoughts? Advice is welcomed heartily.

Myztyk
19-11-2009, 15:05
I'd trade out your globadiers for 5 more jezzails.

If you are using your globadiers as anti-heavy cav, by the time they do anything they are pretty much dead.

With only 2 level 2's...don't count on your magic to do anything. If anything, I'd try and save some points there to spend on scrolls or something.

Nightrunners won't do much with only 10 dudes they will get smoked even by light cavalry if they get charged.

That being said, that's how I play and may not fit your playstyle.

Kurisu313
19-11-2009, 16:05
Thanks for the advice Myztyk.

-The reasoning behind the globadiers is mostly to try a different unit. Also, they fact that they are skirmishers gives them different options, and I don't think they'll be too vulnerable until they have a chance to shoot.

-About the magic, really? Two level 2's won't do anything? As I say, I'm unfamiliar with the current metagame. The army has 6 PD, with a 1 in 3 chance of an extra one. The warpstone tokens also provide me with 3 additional PD during the game. Is that completely insufficient?

-The night runners are almost supposed to be completely irrelevant. At 78 points a pop, they aren't massively important, and thanks to their speed, they represent a threat that's not too easy to ignore. They'll die quickly, but have I5 and 11 attacks from their front rank, so hopefully they can do some damage. I hadn't considered light cavalry, I'll have to watch out for that, but the two units can be combined into one block of 20 if the tactics turns out to be utter fail.

Googlenip
19-11-2009, 16:38
I think you're list is fairly sound.

I totally disagree in that your magic is fine...the tokens making you competent in that department.

Skaven are supposed to fun to play with AND against...this list looks like you're doing it fairly right... My general rule of thumb for skaven:
25% Character
25%Toys
50%Boys

However...trade the cannon for a catapault without doubt.

Myztyk
19-11-2009, 16:50
Thanks for the advice Myztyk.

-The reasoning behind the globadiers is mostly to try a different unit. Also, they fact that they are skirmishers gives them different options, and I don't think they'll be too vulnerable until they have a chance to shoot.

-About the magic, really? Two level 2's won't do anything? As I say, I'm unfamiliar with the current metagame. The army has 6 PD, with a 1 in 3 chance of an extra one. The warpstone tokens also provide me with 3 additional PD during the game. Is that completely insufficient?

-The night runners are almost supposed to be completely irrelevant. At 78 points a pop, they aren't massively important, and thanks to their speed, they represent a threat that's not too easy to ignore. They'll die quickly, but have I5 and 11 attacks from their front rank, so hopefully they can do some damage. I hadn't considered light cavalry, I'll have to watch out for that, but the two units can be combined into one block of 20 if the tactics turns out to be utter fail.

- Completely respect using different units! My globadiers were there to screen my weapons teams in the old codex...maybe I'm still just bitter they were moved to specials. Plus I have a fondness for jezzails. Good for picking off light cav and flyers who will try to bait my monks as well as taking out heavy cav.

- Could be different where you game, but 6 power dice...or 7...really wouldn't but a bump in most people's armies in my experience. The uber armies are all running 6-7 dispel dice with scrolls to back it up. More than enough to stop the spells that are going to hurt them and the ones you want to get through.

- Good solution on the night runners. Dark Riders and other light cav will just look at 10 night runners as a chewy snack and an excuse to overrun behind your lines.

Good suggestion on the plageclaw over cannon. That new catapult is stupid...and the combined profile makes it tough for bowmen to pick off your crew...(a favorite tactic of my most common opponent when I play arti).

wildkarrde0
19-11-2009, 17:53
my only comment will about your item selection i would change the the warp stone tokens to power stones only 5 points more with no risk.
i would consider then upgrading the sword of might to dwarf weapon +5 more same effect but can cause extra fun against dwarfs you would save 5 points on the power stones

maybe think about the d3 bonus banner rather than wars banner for the storm vermin as its only few points more
just some idea other wise looks fine

Kurisu313
19-11-2009, 20:20
Thanks for more help!
@ Googlenip
I don't think that the plagueclaw is sufficiently better than the warplightning cannon to go switching it out, and I have a general aversion to clan pestilens units - my brother is the nurgle player!

@wildkarrde0
Hmm...I do have five points spare, so I could take one or the other, and I think I prefer the idea of power stones. I guess I can still use my green dice (power warp-stones!)

That banner actually is worse than the warbanner, I think. The warbanner essentially adds +2 to the resolution combined with the standard. The other banner is D3, so it'll only be better a third of the time, and will be worse another third of the time. I'd rather have the more stable bonus - although perhaps that opinion is very un-skaven!