PDA

View Full Version : Which army has the best 7th edition cover

mattieice
19-11-2009, 17:33
Since the Beastman cover has been announced, which army do you think looks coolest? (I left out Vampire counts because I think they clearly have the worst and I can only do 10 in a poll)

For me it was a close run between Skaven, Dwarfs, High Elves, and Dark Elves but Skaven won out (maybe because I'm a little biased).

Red Metal
19-11-2009, 17:45
Dwarves, but I'm partial...

Ixquic
19-11-2009, 17:47
I'm just going to pretend I misread your post and that you left out Vampire Counts since it was the best and would skew the poll horribly.

PARTYCHICORITA
19-11-2009, 17:48
im voting skaven.
eventhough i hate the army the cover of the book represents the vile feeling behind quiet well.

Darnok
19-11-2009, 17:51
I can't vote in that poll. You left out both Vampire Counts and Wood Elves, the only contenders for a good cover. All the others are just damn ugly in my opinion.

mattieice
19-11-2009, 17:58
I didn't think the Vampire counts book would be so controversial. Wood Elves are 6th and don't count (though i suppose the Dwarf book technically is too).

The SkaerKrow
19-11-2009, 18:20
I voted High Elves. Oddly enough, my least favorite 7th Ed book cover is Dark Elves.

Lordsaradain
19-11-2009, 18:30
Most are good, except VC. :P

DarkTerror
19-11-2009, 18:33
VC should definately not be receiving any votes.

Personally, I love the High Elf cover. It screams "buy me! buy me!"

If only I could justify it...

Alderhan
19-11-2009, 18:57
Dark Elf player, voted for the High Elf cover. Mystical, magical and cold. It's great.

MikMatPip
19-11-2009, 19:09
Well, I think Dwarfs and High Elves have the best covers, but I can choose only one, so... High Elves. The ones I find bad are: Warriors of Chaos, Vampire Counts and Orcs & Goblins. And the worst one is definitely Daemons of Chaos... Simply horrible. The rest are pretty much okay.

Avian
19-11-2009, 19:11
Warriors of Chaos. Go Adrian Smith! :)

Leogun_91
19-11-2009, 19:23
Dwarfs havenīt got a 7th edition cover, they where the last 6th edition army.

Keller
19-11-2009, 19:55
I've not seen all of the covers, personally, but I think they are all pretty good. Of those that I have seen, I like the Empire; much better than previous editions artwork.

I believe, while they were released before 7th edition rulebook, their army book was written for 7th ed. They had already recieved a 6th ed army book, so the re-write was for the BFSP, which used 7th Ed rules.

Lord Inquisitor
19-11-2009, 19:59
I like Daemons personally. They get all the good stuff! Particularly since it matches with the 40K version.

Although I do like Tomb Kings the best of all the current army book covers, simple and striking, although I do realise it doesn't fall within the limitations of the poll.

mattieice
19-11-2009, 20:01

Yeah well they have two 6th edition books but the second one might as well be considered 7th.

Ultimate Life Form
19-11-2009, 20:03
...Whoops!

No one likes Beastmen, even though they're supposed to be the rage right now? The new and exciting army next after Skaven?

The outlook is pretty grim indeed...

(Of course, it's Lizardmen. Army of the Old Ones in the jungle, with a badass Scarvet in front and evil dinos in the background. What's not to love?)

Havock
19-11-2009, 23:57
Warriors of Chaos... Definately not.

Zoolander
20-11-2009, 00:15
Since the Beastman cover has been announced, which army do you think looks coolest? (I left out Vampire counts because I think they clearly have the worst and I can only do 10 in a poll)

For me it was a close run between Skaven, Dwarfs, High Elves, and Dark Elves but Skaven won out (maybe because I'm a little biased).

Clearly have the worst? I actually like that cover. I like the 6th ed one better, but the VC cover is still good. The worst? Hardly. Since dwarves are 6th ed and Beasts aren't out yet, you could have released a proper poll.

Dexter099
20-11-2009, 00:23

Care to cite any reasons?

Zoolander
20-11-2009, 00:28

Warriors was better than the DoC book. I just wish it wasn't so focused on Khorne all the time (DoC too!). But more chaos plauyers favor Khorne, so meh.

Caiphas Cain
20-11-2009, 00:29
Umm I actually think that the VC cover is pretty BA...

Well, hmm an actual one I can vote on? Gotta go with Dark Elves, never played as them, never played against them, but it's such a sick cover. I can't imagine why no one I know plays them. The greenskin one is pretty bad, really un-goblin like goblins, stupid positioning, and a really weird angle? No thanks. The chaos covers both look bad. Dwarf armybook, meh, not much action going on... at all. Wait, skaven, too cool for words, perfect amount of gloom and sinister doom to be believable. Changed my mind! Count this vote for skaven.

Edit: Eww, high elves are winning? Thats pretty nasty. Thats actually my least favorite cover... Hmm I hate the most popular and love one of the least, what wrong with me? :p

Havock
20-11-2009, 01:01

Bland, distinctly un-chaos looking, well maybe not but far too khorne-centric. Once more: I liked the 6th ed one.

Nicha11
20-11-2009, 01:07

Agreed Worst cover so far.

A bunch of ugly dumb looking guys doing..... nothing.

ChaosVC
20-11-2009, 01:19
I love the highelves, dark elves and the O&G covers the most even though chaos is my favourite army. Alas I have to chose Highelves for the sheer beauty of the majestic looking Sliverhelm with a color scheme that is almost impossible to emulate with the real models or any look alike models.

Roark
20-11-2009, 01:56
Whoops. I voted Beastmen, but I meant the last cover, not the recently annonced one.

Poseidal
20-11-2009, 11:31
High Elves, but mostly though elimination.

I think I like the Wood Elf book (though 6th) of all 'current' army covers.

I think the 4th and 5th ed ones had more character than today's ones.

Jind_Singh
20-11-2009, 16:27
What?!!!
What kind of poll is this when the mighty Ogre Kingdoms are left out - that is an AMAZING cover art for the army books. Really captures their essence, lookgs great, and it made me buy their book when I re-entered the hobby a year ago.

DarkTerror
20-11-2009, 17:07
What?!!!
What kind of poll is this when the mighty Ogre Kingdoms are left out - that is an AMAZING cover art for the army books. Really captures their essence, lookgs great, and it made me buy their book when I re-entered the hobby a year ago.

Gotta read the actual text before you hit reply

StarFyreXXX
20-11-2009, 17:16
Actually, I like the Vampire cover the best....

Sanjay

Drakcore Bloodtear
20-11-2009, 18:21
I think the new Skaven one is the best
So much character and really show Skaven in it's true from, dirty & true Skaven form

Jind_Singh
20-11-2009, 18:41
Gotta read the actual text before you hit reply

I did, and thats why I said what I did - Your asking which army book has the best cover art, but you are limited to 10 choices.

I'm just saying that the Ogre Kingdoms has the best cover art AND best interior artwork too - that book is a wealth of inspiration and great artwork - they out did themselves when they created the army book :D

No other army book out there even comes close to the fat boyz manual!

Atropos
20-11-2009, 18:44
Vampire Counts FTW!

Desert Rain
20-11-2009, 20:17
I like the High Elf cover, and not only because I'm biased! It is heroic and it shows a lot of what the high elves are. Plus it's a nice piece of art.

mattieice
20-11-2009, 20:41
I can understand why some people would be upset that VC is not on the list, and I can even understand that some people might like it. But seriously, the BEST cover? No way in hell.

Spiney Norman
20-11-2009, 21:37

Perhaps you should have left out dwarfs since they don't actually HAVE a 7th Edition army book, however if you wanted to leave out one because it was bottom of the pile then Warriors of Chaos was the obvious choice, they got the worst cover of any book in 3 whole editions.

For me there are 3 great 7th Ed book covers, Empire (which is not only great artwork, but also perfectly captures the essence of the army), and then slightly behind are High elves and Dark elves.

I'm not that keen on the new Skaven one, as is usually the case with Skaven art, theres a little too much going on in the picture.

I think the general standard of cover artwork was higher in 6th Edition, with some really awesome books, inc Bretonians, Tomb Kings and Lizardmen which were all superb. I also much preferred the older dwarf army book to the current one, it was much grittier.

Havock
21-11-2009, 00:14
The Dark Elf 6th ed cover was awesome too.

And the one before that was just plain awesome through being silly and not making any sense at all.

It has a T-Rex on it for god's sake!

GenerationTerrorist
21-11-2009, 00:45
High Elves and Lizardmen are the ones that kind of stand out the most on the shelves.

StormCrow
21-11-2009, 04:13
The stand outs for me are high and dark elves, lizardmen, skaven, and dwarves. If i have to pick just one though I'd probably say lizardmen.

Incidentally if all the covers were available to choose from I would have selected tomb kings but I'm still awaiting their 7th ed. update :(

And as an aside i think adrian smith is extremely talented and his work on the warriors of chaos book was incredible

Phelix
21-11-2009, 12:55
Skaven....

because it features all 4 of the primary clans, and warrior clans perfectly.

Rokkit
21-11-2009, 13:12
Going with the High Elves' one myself.

O&G is one of the worst, which is a pity since it's the army I collect.

Grapeshot
22-11-2009, 16:55
Bretonnia. Simple yet striking. (OK, it is not 7th ed...)

I collect VC, but I don't like the cover.

Falkman
22-11-2009, 17:26
Compared to 6th ed they all have horrible covers IMO.
I voted Dark Elves though, it would be an okay cover if they changed all that red to something more harmonic for the eyes.

Dr Death
22-11-2009, 17:37
High Elves i think are the stand-out army book cover of 7th edition. It's certainly an improovement on their 'rather too mystical' 6th edition cover and has a lot of striking visual elements.

Most of the 7th edition covers have been rather underwhelming though- The Orcs and Goblins book is just rather rubbish, the Empire cover looks unfinished, the Deamons of Chaos is just in your face with no notion of perspective or proportion- the same can be said of the Warriors of Chaos book, and the Vampire Counts cover is just uninspiring. The Skaven book is terribly cluttered and the Beastman book is just a bit pants compared to the previous, definative cover.

Dr Death

Condottiere
22-11-2009, 18:37
Time to join the bandwagon and vote High Elves.