PDA

View Full Version : 40k Player thinking of trying out Fantasy.

Bonzai
19-11-2009, 20:49
I've been playing 40k for a bit, and up till now I have been content to stick with just the one hobby. Now I find that my curiosity is piqued. So I thought I would come here and ask a few questions.

1. How different is 40k from fantasy? Would I have any problems picking up the differences in rules?

2. How many points does your average battalion/Starter sets come with?

3. Would I be able to play with a legal army with one of the battalions out of the box?

4. My shop plays 2250 point tourneys. What kind of investment would that entail?

6. I think I have fallen in love with the Skaven Doomwheel model. Lol, that and the "Rattling" guns. Would Skaven be a good choice for a starting fantasy player?

Laurela
19-11-2009, 21:02
The basic rules for 40k and fantasy are pretty much the same, there are some difference though. Fantasy has a lot more movement and psychology to it. And the magic phase is really nothing like anything 40k has to offer.

It really depends on the battalion, most will come with about 500+ points or so. You'd have to convert one of the figures to represent a general. A hero level character and that would make your army legal to play with and start out with.

Skaven would be a good army to start out with. Although it'd cost a fair bit of money to get an army of 2250 to play with. Unless you went monster heavy, a screaming bell, hellpit aboms, lots of weapon teams, ect.

Dai-Mongar
19-11-2009, 21:09
1. Surpisingly different. More focus on movement, and little things that are just handled differently like armour save modifiers and chargers striking first. I just got back into 40K this year and it's the little things that throw you.
2. Similar to 40K I think. Ballpark average figure would be around 500 points or so. Each decently sized unit should be about 150-250 points depending on the options you take.
3. You'll need a character to act as the army's general, but you can convert one out of the plastics in most boxes. All batallions will give you the requisite number of Core troops for a small game.
4. VERY much depends on which army you go for, and what you're taking, but I'd say it's similar to a 40K army of comparable size.
6. Wait, what happened to 5? :p Skaven should be fun, haven't tried them out yet or even seen the book, but they've always had the potential for lulz. You'll need a crapload of clanrats though.

Putty
20-11-2009, 01:33
1. How different is 40k from fantasy? Would I have any problems picking up the differences in rules?

Extremely. Yes, the turn priorities are quite different. The main example is you declare charges before you even move or shoot. The learning curve of getting charges right, understanding the bazillion special rules and effects would be quite daunting...

Its not like 40k, where shooting prevents quite a few special rules from triggering off. :D

2. How many points does your average battalion/Starter sets come with?

Varies. Some armies have very low pointage units (Skaven) and the Battalion would only net you 1000 - 1200 points, compared to Warriors of Chaos or Bretonnian Battalions which can give you 1500 points.

3. Would I be able to play with a legal army with one of the battalions out of the box?

No. Like 40k sets (except for Tyranids), you do not get Lord / Hero (aka HQ) units in the box.

4. My shop plays 2250 point tourneys. What kind of investment would that entail?

A lot of models. A typical WHFB army runs at least 80 - 100 models at the pointage. Horde armies like O&G, Skaven can hit almost 200 models. Expect to spend double the amount of money to hit that pointage compared to most 40k armies

6. I think I have fallen in love with the Skaven Doomwheel model. Lol, that and the "Rattling" guns. Would Skaven be a good choice for a starting fantasy player?

Yes and No.

It is the newest book and it looks written for the new Edition in mind. So you are getting quite good mileage.

However, Skaven is a horde type army and would require you to buy many models (and paint them, if its your thing) just to satisfy the pointage levels.

Given that you have no prior experience with WHFB, its not really advisable to start off with Skaven, unless you plan to play small games first to get the heck of (which gets boring quickly from my experience).

Oh, and I hope you don't fall into the "The New Shiny" Syndrome with WHFB, many new things look great but end up not working well in-game oh wait... that goes for 40k too! :p

Good luck.

Johnnyfrej
20-11-2009, 06:33
What armies do you play in 40k?

The Red Scourge
20-11-2009, 07:55

Army choice should fall first on models, then their playability. You will need to buy and paint those models, so you might as well like them ;)

Any army is a great army for a first army. You'll get acquainted with all the rules from playing different opponents with different armies anyway - and nothing stops you from getting a second army with a second playstyle later on. I've got three armies now, all see regular tabletop time depending on my mood and their playstyle :)

Lord Khabal
20-11-2009, 09:00
I dont know if skaven are a good idea... 2250 points of skaven is a heavy investment, both in time and money...

The Red Scourge
20-11-2009, 09:09
All armies are a complete waste of time and money :p

And there is nothing wrong with starting out with a smaller force like 1K to learn the game, and then expand or perhaps choose a different army :)

Bonzai
21-11-2009, 00:51
What armies do you play in 40k?

Necrons primarily. Though I also have SMs (Salamanders).

GenerationTerrorist
21-11-2009, 01:06
Seeing as you play Necs and Sallies, your 40K armies seem a bit of a shooty type of army. Is that something you would want in a Fantasy army?

There are lots of little differences between Fantasy and 40K. Some good and some bad, IMHO.

I would not really recommend a horde-ish army like Skaven as your first choice. Just for the financial side of things, incase you decide it is not for you after all.

To be honest, the best armies to start from scratch with in Fantasy would be High Elves or Lizardmen or Empire. These are the armies that are vaguely competent/balanced in all of the areas of the turn and tend not to totally rely on one thing or another to prove succesful.

Bear in mind that this is only my personal opinion and others will probably disagree with me!

Bonzai
24-11-2009, 21:51
Yes, I do like ranged units. That was another draw for me to play skaven. I hear that they can fire into their own troops. An army that can bog the enemy down in cheep disposable units, and then blow them both to smitherines sounds like a lot of fun!