PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Qs: IG (Tau?) Infantry Armies

Unwise
20-11-2009, 00:02
Hello all,

I am considering getting into 40k again since a break of two or three editions. I am not looking at spending a great deal and I don't plan for my army to be overly pretty. I put my painting effort into my High Elves.

I recently came across these minitures:
http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Science_Fiction.html

They go for about $1 Australian per infantry peice. It looks like I could easily get Imperial Guard infantry, command and heavy weapons very cheaply this way.

This leads to my plethora of newb questions:

- Can IG work as a predominantly infantry army?
- Which flavour of IG would work best for this, or are they all the same? (Those minitures look a little like Cadians)
- Can Grey Knights (or any other sort of marine) be used in an IG army? (Those heavy guys look like GKs to me)
- Do IG still have penal legions? (Those gangers could be good for that)

If I cannot not use Grey Knights, then I would go for a traitor-guard army, either Tau or Chaos. What do you think about the following ideas:

- Can the little spaceships on the linked site be used as Tau drones?
- Do Tau or IG have any robots that I could use the mech models for?
- Reckon I could use these (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Beastmen.html) as either Kroot replacements or as chaotic guardsman in a traitor-guard army?

I know the minitures are not great, but I am simply not interested in spending much, as I would rather spend my cash on fantasy for the most part. I just want to be able to join in my friends games on 40k.

Thanks in advance for the help.

SilverDrake
20-11-2009, 00:13
- Can IG work as a predominantly infantry army?

Yes, surprisingly yes they pretty exceed a this, consider Creed and Kell under every circumstances

- Which flavour of IG would work best for this, or are they all the same? (Those minitures look a little like Cadians)

Tey're all the same, just go for the miniatures you like

- Can Grey Knights (or any other sort of marine) be used in an IG army? (Those heavy guys look like GKs to me)

GK's can be used, just download their codex from GW

- Do IG still have penal legions? (Those gangers could be good for that)

yes, they got those as a unit, but i'd not consider them, taking, because you dice out wat they can do.

If I cannot not use Grey Knights, then I would go for a traitor-guard army, either Tau or Chaos. What do you think about the following ideas:
You can use them but i'll still answer:

- Can the little spaceships on the linked site be used as Tau drones?

Sure, but they don't fit in the 40k looks and are significantly smaller, i own them too ^^

- Do Tau or IG have any robots that I could use the mech models for?

Tau got Krisis suits, and IG got sentinels, allthough both are bigger and that could cause problems... WYSIWG whise and getting easier cover and so on. also you need the correct Base size.

- Reckon I could use these (http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Beastmen.html) as either Kroot replacements or as chaotic guardsman in a traitor-guard army?

sure wy not?

So far, any other questions?

Regards

Dark_Templar
20-11-2009, 00:20
Honestly, I think some of those could be good for conversions, but I would be a bit suss on a whole army based around it.

It really just depends on the people you would be gaming with. I know that in Australia there are a lot of gaming clubs around. So if it is just you and some friends, then there should be no issues with your concept, if you are joining a local club however, you could run into some grief.

Unwise
20-11-2009, 00:33
Thanks for the answers and feedback.

At about what points value would a IG army start becoming rather hindered by a lack of machines? Can heavy weapons and Grey Knights supply enough firepower to deal with enemy vehicles?

I remember the previous edition I played was just a game of rock paper scissors. Whoever won the lascannon to vehicle ratio won the game.

SilverDrake
20-11-2009, 01:15
that has gone...

Grey Knights don't carry any heavy weapons against vehicles, they're plain Infantry hunters, with killing the odd light armoured transporter and some walkers, but firepower in Ig can easily added through heavy weapons teams who're an attachment to the normal standard unit, with given the proper orders you get 3 synchronized Laskas. though i'd still take 2+ Tanks in consideration.

iPaint
20-11-2009, 04:26
IG foot slogger lists can work, just bear in mind that they are real susceptible to being assaulted quickly if they do not have the proper fire power to take out transports/tanks/skimmers. Also, templates can be nasty as well, so be sure to spread your troops out a bit if you can afford to.

Keeping that in mind, I suggest you head over to the Tactics forum and download the Imperial Guard tactica .pdf that several Warseer members have contributed to. It is a great read and should give you a starting place regarding Infantry Platoons and how best to organize your army based on that unit.

~iPaint