PDA

View Full Version : The Music of Warhammer

Kohhna
17-05-2005, 20:45
I was browsing through my local HMV the other day when I saw cds by bands called "Bolt Thrower" (complete with obviously GW inspired album sleve) and Invocation of Nekekh.

Has anyone else heard of these bands and are they any good? Are there other GW related bands out there?

Drabant
17-05-2005, 21:26
HMV? Is that second hand? Those CDs have to be pretty old.

neXus6
17-05-2005, 21:42
Despite their age they are still avaliable.

As far as I know there arn't any others as directly related.

worldshatterer
17-05-2005, 22:07
well i listen to bolt thrower and love 'em . however they are a bit of an accquired taste, if you life grindcore and extreme metal then its probably for you .

There were a couple of other bands on the short lived warhammer records label. but i can't remember their names for the life of me . I don't think any of them di much better than bolt thrower[and they're bloody obscure].

Kohhna
17-05-2005, 22:17
HMV? Is that second hand? Those CDs have to be pretty old.

No, they don't really do second hand in HMV.

Might have been re-issues.

The Invocation of Nekhek CD looked new enough. Quite tempted to buy it now actually.

Brandir
19-05-2005, 08:36
GW gave away a flexi-disc with an issue of White Dwarf many years ago. If I remember correctly it was by Bolt Thrower and was a nice red colour. Listening to it did not inspire me tio buy their album despite my heavy metal tendencies in those days.

samael
19-05-2005, 09:19
It was by Sabbat, The song was called "Blood for the blood god"

I don't remember who , but one of GW's painters later did the cover for their first album

samael
19-05-2005, 09:39
Ah
Got it.

The artist was John Blanche.

Here's the drawning (not very big i'm sad to say)

Sabbat-history of a time to come (http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drg000/g008/g00891yhhz9.jpg)

Here are the lyrics from the song. It wasn't released on the album btw, which was one of my highlights of the 80's

Blood for the Blood god

(the) Once mighty cities have now crumbled and turned to sand
Here dwelt the Old Slann (the MAsters)
Infinite wisdom (A god given right)
To these genetic scientists forming new life
yet these powerful beings could never have known
That their seeds of destruction were already sown

See how the void gates that held back the Chaos foe
Shudder and shatter, an entropy overload
Spweing forth creatures - obscene machinations
Malicious entities, warped creations
The shrouded in darkness, they silently wait
Counting the days 'til the Blood God awakes

Armed with fury - cloaked by night
Mutations spawned by warpstone might
Shall now go forth - proliferate
To slay and concquer - dominate

From holes and caverns deep
Ten million Orc and Goblin feet
With hungry hearts and sharpened knives
They come to take your worthless lives

Blood for the Blood God! (Repeat 3 times)

Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos takes thy soul! (Repeat)

Flee now in terror as darkness descends
And the forces of nature relentlessly bends
spreading the cancer - perverse permutations
Chaotic entropy - warped malformations
Till where once was beauty is Chaos and war
And that which was lawful is lawful no more

Armed with fury - cloaked by night
Mutations spawned by warpstone might
Shall now go forth - proliferate
To slay and concquer - dominate

Down below this sleeping city
Red eyes filled with rage not pity
Stalk our dreams with tooth and claw
Crave for human flesh to gnaw!

Blood for the Blood God! (Repeat 3 times)

Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos claims thee!
Die! Chaos takes thy soul! (Repeat)

In tattered shreds our broken ranks
Are swept before this flood
Of Chaos creatures come to rend our flesh
and spill our blood

I am Khorne, I am Death
Fear my name, my icy breath
Feel the power, a deadly chill
When I say Die! then die you will

Where are the heroes in this hour of need
Stout-hearted and brave men who'll never concede
To the forces of Chaos - Hold back their might
Who dares stand proud when the Warhammer strikes?

Griefbringer
19-05-2005, 11:18
There was also a third band on the Warhammer record brand - it was called Wraith.

The boyz
30-05-2005, 12:03
Those lyrics are pretty good. Alot better than I thought it would be.

Baggers
30-05-2005, 15:19
Was not the cover of Bolt Throwers album the orginal artwork for Rogue Trader.

wanderingblade
30-05-2005, 16:16
Those lyrics are pretty good. Alot better than I thought it would be.

Martin Walkyier, the then Sabbat frontman and lyricist is one of the better metal lyricists around, check out some of his Sabbat and Skyclad stuff on www.darklyrics.com.

Anyway - Bolt Thrower did fairly well in Extreme Metal terms, they're still well remembered and liked. I think they might even be still going, I remember they had an album out a while back. Sabbat likewise, well remembered and liked although they were never on Warhammer records iirc.

Depending on your musical tastes, both Bolt Thrower and Sabbat would be good bands to check out.

Kohhna
20-08-2005, 21:31
**casts Invocation of Nehek on thread**
Which brings me neatly to.....
I have been *coughs* a few Invocation of Nehek tracks with *coughs*. So far they seem to be alright if you like Dark / Death metal (not sure which, i don't really listen to that sort of thing). Sounds a bit like Cradle, at least to me it does anyway. The instruimental track, my gift to liars, was good. Doesn't make me want to buy the album.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-08-2005, 00:06
Was not the cover of Bolt Throwers album the orginal artwork for Rogue Trader.

jup, most of the songs are GW inspired as well, such as "world eater" and "plaguebearer"

IT ROCKS!

Freak Ona Leash
21-08-2005, 00:18
Yeah, BT rocks Never heard any Wraith or Sabbat(isnt that vampire RP game as well?) but I am listening to Nehek right onw. Rather nice. I still like BT better but they arent bad.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-08-2005, 01:46
is Nehek similar to bolt thrower or different?

Lady's Champion
21-08-2005, 09:43
Guys HERE ARE BOLT THROWER SOUNDTRACK SAMPLES

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,55036,00.html

CELS
21-08-2005, 09:44
The music of Warhammer is the Gaunt's Ghosts soundtrack by John Bergin. Kickass stuff.

brynolf
21-08-2005, 15:43
The music of Warhammer is the Gaunt's Ghosts soundtrack by John Bergin. Kickass stuff.

There is a GG soundtrack? What kind of music is on it?

Edit: Oh, by the way, The song "World eater" by Bolt thrower is awsome! But their drummer sucks!

Sai-Lauren
22-08-2005, 10:45
There is a GG soundtrack? What kind of music is on it?

Yes, it was released with the premium (read, ridiculously expensive) edition of Traitor General, and despite our best efforts to get them to release it solo, BL so far haven't done so. :rolleyes:

Eversor
22-08-2005, 11:49
Yes, it was released with the premium (read, ridiculously expensive) edition of Traitor General, and despite our best efforts to get them to release it solo, BL so far haven't done so.

:chrome: If it was anything like the stuff he had up on his site (or whoever owned konversions.com), it isn't really worth bothering about ;) Just some random sound effects with poorly written lyrics tossed on top. That is my final word as a (somewhat professional) music reviewer :evilgrin:

Crube
22-08-2005, 11:54
IIRC, both Bolt Thrower and Wraith are still going. I know one of them released an album last year, just cant remeber which...

Also, dont forget the mighty D-Rok. Their album cover was the art for the original Space marine Epic game...

Songs such as Stealer's Kiss, Oblivion and Noise marines....makes me wanna get the CDs again...

CELS
22-08-2005, 12:53
Yes, it was released with the premium (read, ridiculously expensive) edition of Traitor General, and despite our best efforts to get them to release it solo, BL so far haven't done so. :rolleyes:
And of course, had you been successful I would have killed you and BlackLibrary for making me buy that book needlessly. Don't get me wrong, Traitor General is one of Abnett's best books, but 2/3 of that money was about the soundtrack, and man was it worth it!