PDA

View Full Version : Nice Khazad Guard dwarf proxy solution

Shrapnelsmile
20-11-2009, 03:14
You get 8 Khazad Guard models for $40 MSRP. My friend suggested:

buy one box, and one box of plastic dwarves.
To create two companies, put four of the nice Khazad Guard models in the front of each tray.
Then, for the 4 in the back, simply take the Dwarves w/ two handed weapons from the plastic set and use them in the back. Paint them gold to match, maybe even a littel gold over the face, and you've saved some money.

Have any of you done, or seen, anything like this work effectively. Of course, that's less regualar dwarves w/ two handed weapons.

Edonil
20-11-2009, 03:22
I do it all the time with my orcs. You might actually want to consider some simple green stuff to make some of your plastics into Khazad Guard, and just paint them up fancier. As far as equipment goes, they just have some more armor than Warriors.

So, to explain the orcs thing a bit- GW gives us a wide mix of weapons options in the orc box. I took out all the archers, use them as their own units, and then grab the rest of them and field them all as orcs with two-handed weapons. Ultimately, the biggest thing shouldn't be 'these might look like the right model' it should be 'would anyone be confuse this unit with another unit of a different type that I'm fielding right now'

lorelorn
20-11-2009, 07:01
If you're feeling ambitious, a little green stuff will create a nice enough face plate for the plastic dwarfs. Either way, this is a good idea, and a good way of reducing your costs.

Whitwort Stormbringer
20-11-2009, 22:34
At the point that you're greenstuffing facemasks on to make plastic warriors into Khazad Guard, you can probably even get away without the metal Khazad Guard at all.

Kalandros
22-11-2009, 03:27
http://www.blackbirdmedia.org/miniatures/?view=articles&which=vaultWardens

make plasticard shields and stick'em to the plastic dwarf warriors to get vault warden shields. Make plasticard sticks and forks to give your plastic dwarf warriors to get vault warden pikes.

There you go, Vault Warden company.

Whitwort Stormbringer
22-11-2009, 05:59
http://www.blackbirdmedia.org/miniatures/?view=articles&which=vaultWardens

make plasticard shields and stick'em to the plastic dwarf warriors to get vault warden shields. Make plasticard sticks and forks to give your plastic dwarf warriors to get vault warden pikes.

There you go, Vault Warden company.
Wow, very cool and effective converting!

lorelorn
22-11-2009, 06:21
Bookmarked! Thanks for sharing that with us, excellent work.

Shrapnelsmile
22-11-2009, 16:25
Bookmarked! Many thanks

Hellfury
01-12-2009, 00:00
Bookmarked as well, thanks!

It wont save me time, but its definitely saving me money.