-Shields

Orc Boar Chariot x1 80

Goblin Spear Chukka x2 70

Night Goblin Squig Herd x5 150

Rare Units
Goblin Doom Diver x1 80

Giant x1 205

= 2250

I was wondering how competitive this list would be. Ive taken the advice of a few people who say that the orc characters should always be on boars to get the +2 armor save. The plan would be to have spear chukkas focus fire whatever looks nasty on the other side of the board, and line up the giant with said nasty in case it doesnt go down to the admittedly inaccurate fire. The orc units have BSB and general to keep them from squabbling, and the orc and gobbin units are just basically anvils to try to let all the other killy stuff get at the enemy. The Black orc big boss with the boar and shield would join the black orc regiment to make it my elite fighting regiment. The fast cavs are just meant to be annoying and maybe draw a few shots. a few questions, however:

1) would it make sense to put the bare bones Big boss with the squig herd to stop them from squabbling and give them the +1 to the WAAGH roll in the turn i use it? After all, id want to get this unit into combat asap.

2)Is it worth giving wolf riders spears + bows?

3)should i drop the kickin boots on the big boss and try to beef up the fast cavs?

4)is battleaxe of last WAAGH worth it? or should i try getting some different wargear for my general?

5)Squig herds look good on paper, with WS 4, Str 5, 2 attks, and immune to psychology. However, can they actually perform? if not, would getting rid of them and getting 2 more spear chukkas and having 80 extra points to spend on whatever?

Im just a competitive person, and taking advice from as many sources as i could am trying to come up with a more consistent O&G army that should be able to tackle any opponent.

Malorian
20-11-2009, 14:22
The warboss will be fun as long as you aren't flanked.

The second big boss might as well take the sword of battle which is half the cost of the kicking boots and also gives him magical attacks (remember the choppa doesn't give you any bonus when mounted),

Orc champs are expensive and with the combat heros you have you shouldn't need them.

Drop the black orcs and get more regular orcs. If you mix around the units you should end up with four good sized unit of orcs.

nsok
20-11-2009, 14:30
Ok, i can drop the orc champs in the units then... and thats a good point, although if the big boss gets sword of battle, he cant use a great weapon llike i might need him to at some point.

The only problem i feel with dropping the BOs is that my main line wouldnt really be able to kill anything, except the characters... although if i were to get rid of them and get another block of orcs, do you think maybe additional spear chukkas with teh extra special slot?

Malorian
20-11-2009, 15:46
Well being mounted the great weapon only adds 1 strength and you go last. I'd rather have the extra attack, at your regular init, with a better save.

In my orc army I win though static combat res, and then get the extra bonus from the chariots charging in.

Black orcs are nice on the charge they die as easily as regular orcs and you can bet your opponent will be targetting them. If you want them then I'd suggest just making them 10 strong and field them 6-7 wide as a counter attack unit to support the blocks.

BigbyWolf
20-11-2009, 15:58
As Malorian says- Black Orcs are usually the first to go when the opponent opens fire, although having a giant in there does present them with a different option of what to target first.

I've been enjoying success with units of 25-30 standard boys with h/w and shield, supported by 10 boys with 2 choppas (savage or normal orc, both are good).

nsok
20-11-2009, 16:19
okay, good point, so hows this then: get rid of BO, switch the gear for the big boss like you say, get an extra block of orcs / 2 smaller ones with xtra choppas? Big'uns? yes no? and a few extra spear chukkas with the extra special?

Also, i was wondering if squig herds are classified as goblin units for purposes of the WAAAGH move? that is, that they can only receive a maximum of +1 to their animosity roll?

Malorian
20-11-2009, 18:49
Stay clear of big'uns...

I've always played that the herd only gets +1.

Makaber
20-11-2009, 20:23
I wouldn't discount the Black Orcs as readily as people suggest, but 18 is probably a bit excessive. 12 or 14 should be enough.

And sure the Orc champions are expensive, but they're also a lot better than most champions, seeing as you get both +1 WS and Strength in addition to the Attack. Combined with the Choppa, that's a pretty decent damage output, in addition to the regular advantages of champions.

Avian
20-11-2009, 20:39
1) would it make sense to put the bare bones Big boss with the squig herd to stop them from squabbling and give them the +1 to the WAAGH roll in the turn i use it? After all, id want to get this unit into combat asap.
Characters can't join Squig Herds.

2)Is it worth giving wolf riders spears + bows?
For 5 pts per unit, I feel it is.

3)should i drop the kickin boots on the big boss and try to beef up the fast cavs?
Your fast cav are as beefy as they need to be. You might consider more fast cav.

4)is battleaxe of last WAAGH worth it? or should i try getting some different wargear for my general?
Only tried it once and then I missed six out of seven attacks (needing 3+). I've crunched the numbers and the Akk'rit Axe + Kickin' Boots do about the same amount of damage (in the first round of combat) for about half the cost.

5)Squig herds look good on paper, with WS 4, Str 5, 2 attks, and immune to psychology. However, can they actually perform? if not, would getting rid of them and getting 2 more spear chukkas and having 80 extra points to spend on whatever?
Yeah, I'd say they do. Both Squig types are well worth having.

okay, good point, so hows this then: get rid of BO, switch the gear for the big boss like you say, get an extra block of orcs / 2 smaller ones with xtra choppas? Big'uns? yes no? and a few extra spear chukkas with the extra special?
I think Black Orcs can be decent. You've missed out a great opportunity for a magic standard, though.

Also, i was wondering if squig herds are classified as goblin units for purposes of the WAAAGH move? that is, that they can only receive a maximum of +1 to their animosity roll?
Yes, they are called 'Night Goblin Squig Herds'.

EDIT: I'm with Makaber on the Orc Bosses issue. I take them in all units larger than 10 guys. WS4 and S5 in the first round of combat is tasty for a champion.