PDA

View Full Version : Kroot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commissar JVE
20-11-2009, 20:10
I think that GW should change there rules for allowing a Kroot Merc. Army in all tournament play! I dont see why they are not allowed in any kind of tournaments? Please someone explain that to me? :wtf:

Arakanis
20-11-2009, 20:16
GW doesn't make the rules for Tournaments, the Tournament Organizers do.

Darkstar2586
20-11-2009, 20:16
Because they dont have their own codex, same reason they dont allow genestealer cults into tourny play.

Im not saying they shouldnt be allowed, however cant imagine them being too compeditive.

Hopefully one day they will bring out a new codex with a whole allies section to the tau with multiple races including the demiburg

TheHaunted
20-11-2009, 20:18
Unless I am mistaken, I believe they are allowed. At least at most tournaments they are. You have to talk to a tournament director. The calvarly with an eviscerator coming in off the sides is a very powerful addition to any army

sigur
20-11-2009, 20:24
I think that GW should change there rules for allowing a Kroot Merc. Army in all tournament play! I dont see why they are not allowed in any kind of tournaments? Please someone explain that to me? :wtf:

Kroot players kept on using up all exclamation marks in the room so other players got angry.

If you want to bring your Kroot army, ask the organizers. If you want a Codex: Kroot, write one. GW won't release one.

grissom2006
20-11-2009, 20:26
Lets see Touries are free to make any ruling they see fit and often do so. They even at times go and rule against the rules that are clearly laid out in the BRB or Codex. If you want ti allowed talk to the people who arrange the event their is no directive from GW to disallow them or anything that GW has produced. The accepted format however is that current and upto date rules and Codices be used at all times. Not everyone has access to Chapter Approved, Imperial Armour Lists and a number of other sources as such to play using them is seen as un fair practice.

SPYDER68
20-11-2009, 22:26
In a tourney. i would rather not ever play against a non official GW codex.

Ambull Tau
20-11-2009, 22:38
In a tourney. i would rather not ever play against a non official GW codex.

*nods* Tourney play is about the competition. So it needs fair and balanced rules.

(But the official codexes will have to do instead :) )

I'd love to see GW do a 40K version of WFB's 'Dogs of War' books. The Dogs of War was a series of 'plug into an army' mercs, with their own special rules. The models themselves where all full of character.

Be lovely to see a similar, flavour-full take on the 40K universe.

Ironhand
20-11-2009, 23:43
"Dogs of War" were, as GW has since acknowledged, one of the biggest mistakes they ever made. They've been removed from Fantasy so why in the name of Jervis would you want to introduce a mess like that into 40K?

Chem-Dog
20-11-2009, 23:53
The Kroot list ist as stands is pants, to be honest.
I love Kroot and think there is scope for a fantastic legitimate 100% supported GW codex, but until that day comes you'll have to use them as proxies, Tyranids could work quite well.

Lord Damocles
21-11-2009, 00:04
The Chapter Approved list even said that a Kroot army was likely to suffer in any environment other than jungle warfare (wait, where did the rules go for that again..?)

Bregalad
21-11-2009, 00:18
Just in case:
Here is the fan-made 5th edition Kodex Kroot:
http://trobarts.customer.netspace.net.au/5th_ed_kroot_mercenaries_army_list_by_kompletely_k root_V5.84.pdf
made by people from this website:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/KompletelyKroot/

Commissar JVE
21-11-2009, 14:16
I appreciate all the opinions alot! Ok...for example I cant field a Kroot army at Ardboyz? I know that Ardboyz is a tough tournament, I have played in a couple and have placed. People are going to say that they would not be competative? I disagree with that 110%, if you field a Kroot army you have HUGE advantage, I think Kroot could be considered a Hoard army! Please give me feed back! :skull:

sigur
21-11-2009, 16:45
I appreciate all the opinions alot! Ok...for example I cant field a Kroot army at Ardboyz?

First post in this thread. This is when it should have ended. The question was answered.

[QUOTE=Commissar JVE;4147165]
Please give me feed back! :skull:

There IS no feedback to give because you don't make any viable statements about anything and don't ask any clear questions apart from one that has been answered four or five times in this thread.

Goat of Yuggoth
21-11-2009, 20:08
In fact many GW managers have a Kroot army, they just don't show it. I met a coupla managers and they had a Kroot list AND a Tau list, merged them to an apoc force. They're not uncommon, but allowing them in tournaments would **** off Squat players.

SirSnipes
21-11-2009, 20:33
why are blood angels allowed, they are a pdf codex as is the kroot

SPYDER68
21-11-2009, 21:59

Blood Angels is a Official Temp Codex PDF put out by games workshop.

Kroot lists are..

1) Old chapter approved that are no longer in print and from 3rd edition

2) Player made crap books.

There is no up to date by games workshop Kroot pdf army or anything by games workshop other then apoc data sheets or in Tau Codex.

Dark_Templar
21-11-2009, 22:02

But wasn't one released by GW and one released by fans?

Anywho, I personally would like to see a Kroot Codex, or at least have them play a larger part in the new Tau Codex.

JeffJedi
21-11-2009, 22:17
Because Blood Angels are Space Marines and Kroot are not?

SPYDER68
21-11-2009, 22:25
There was no Player released BA Book.

The Current one was released in a white dwarf by games workshop for a supposid temp codex till we got a new one as a test thing i guess.

And of course the Blood angels book is in the games workshop FaQ.

I highly doubt there will ever be a Kroot Codex thats official.

Chem-Dog
22-11-2009, 00:21
Also because the SM codex required to assemble a BA army was itself out of date, it was easier to plonk them all together in a PDF/WD release and clear the BA codex from the shelves.

Commissar JVE
23-11-2009, 17:23
I expect nothing less from GW then another Space Marine Codex!!! As far as my question SIGUR, I was asking if anyone thinks that Kroot would be competative at an Ardboyz tourney? Since we are talking about codexe's...armies like Dark Eldar and Daemonhunters are way pass due.....But, no Tyranids are next in January....I know its all about popularity, but DE and DH, if they gota new Codex they would be played alot more!

Dyrnwyn
23-11-2009, 19:58
Someone came to a local tournament with an army built from the old Chapter Approved Kroot Mercs list a couple years ago. Wasn't that competitive but everyone who played him had a blast. My friend played him and their HQ's ended up in an epic duel on the top of a building terrain piece.

Personally, I love the fluff and look of Kroot. I considered making a Kroot Mercs army myself, but some Kroot models really, really annoy me, and I'm not that great at converting. The Fan-made Kodex Kroot is nice, but it doesn't have that GW stamp of approval that made the Kroot Mercs list alright.

Cerraand
23-11-2009, 21:40
I would really like to know what you all like so much about kroots? The are only auxiliaries for the Tau and can't pack much of a punch. Even fluff-wise i cannot see what is so attractive them. Personally I dread the day GW will release an all-kroot codex

Dyrnwyn
23-11-2009, 21:51
Why Kroot? Well, they're a genial race that doesn't really hate any aliens, and are not as subject to fan backlash as the Tau. They had their own Chapter Approved list from 3rd-4th ed so some people already had Kroot armies. They have a fairly well fleshed out background already with an Index Xenos article, the Chapter Approved List, the Tau codex, Xenology and several other Black Library novels, as well as presence in the Inquisitor and Dark Heresy books. On top of that, they actually fill an unused niche in 40k as a low-tech shamanistic army.

Revlid
23-11-2009, 21:55
You know, with all the Kroot stuff Forge World has put out, I'm almost surprised they haven't had a Kroot Mercenary Warband in one of their Imperial Armour books. All it would require to round out the range would be a set of man-sized wings (in fair demand by Fantasy and 40k players alike), and maybe a set of traps (again, fairly generic) or Kroot weaponry. Perhaps a Shaper model or two.

Something for them to consider in the future, perhaps.

If you really want to play Kroot semi-legally, though, there is an Apocalypse datasheet for them. Ask if you can use that in a normal game instead of a Tau army - it's hardly broken, after all.

owen matthew
23-11-2009, 23:33
You could make a complete converted army, but use IG rules, minus the tanks and valks, and I think you would have one great army, that would be competative for a change!!! THe CA army was a piece of poop, but very fluffy and attractive! i made one.

Actually, you could do the IG template like I just suggested, but use the tanks from the TAU army to stand in for Russ' and essentiallty ally Tau to Kroot in theme!!! You could have a GREAT army then! Good material for a story as well with Tau comming to aid a Kroot battle with heavy artilery, or something like that. Oooh, I might do this myself!

Dark_Templar
24-11-2009, 00:39
I would really like to know what you all like so much about kroots? The are only auxiliaries for the Tau and can't pack much of a punch. Even fluff-wise i cannot see what is so attractive them. Personally I dread the day GW will release an all-kroot codex

Why will it negatively impact you if GW allows people to field a Kroot only army?

Personally I love the fact that Kroot can evolve into pretty well anything that is required, meaning that there are endless conversion possibilities that allow you to individual your units without your opponent being able to whine about it being "wrong".

I look forward to the day this is possible. But I would prefer a GW release as opposed to FW, and would be happy for it to be combined into a new Tau codex.

Bugger off the Vespid and say that the Kroot got sick of them sucking on the battlefield and ate them all, then evolved into the Vulture Kroot.

Cerraand
24-11-2009, 01:20
Why will it negatively impact you if GW allows people to field a Kroot only army?

I was being melodramatic ;)

It's more the fact that I'd rather have updated codex than new ones (or very old codex being brought back)

As for my question, thanks for the explanation. Now I know I don't know much about their fluff, maybe I should try to get my hand on that someday.

I understand what it can be to like something that GW doesn't spend too much time in it.

Dark_Templar
24-11-2009, 01:43
I was being melodramatic ;)

It's more the fact that I'd rather have updated codex than new ones (or very old codex being brought back)

As for my question, thanks for the explanation. Now I know I don't know much about their fluff, maybe I should try to get my hand on that someday.

I understand what it can be to like something that GW doesn't spend too much time in it.

I apologise, I had just left a topic based around female space marines and we all know how they end up.

Anywho, the Kroot absorb critical dna traits from their prey, which makes conversion really interesting.

I would not want to see them get their own codex, as GW already has more codices than it can handle. I would be more than happy to see them rolled into a large Tau tome though.

SirSnipes
24-11-2009, 01:53
But wasn't one released by GW and one released by fans?

Anywho, I personally would like to see a Kroot Codex, or at least have them play a larger part in the new Tau Codex.

no GW released the army list in white dwarf

Dark_Templar
24-11-2009, 03:06
no GW released the army list in white dwarf

The latest Kodex Kroot is a fandex, am I correct? Kroot lists are not supported by GW anymore, as opposed to the BA who are.

Colonial Rifle
24-11-2009, 09:40
It's a real shame about the Kroot codex not getting an update, well apart from that ***** apocalypse datasheet. The old list was hardly broken, had lots of modelling opportunities and was *gasp* fun to play against. It would take 5 mins to update it and shove it into a WD (god knows, they need the content) and Andy Hoare had some pretty interesting ideas about how he wanted to revise the codex (i.e adding some sort of short-range missile launcher)

:mad: Rant mode on: failure to update things like the Kroot or LatD really ****** me off with GW at the moment. It's a very easy win-win scenario (2 days work updating the codex = more models sold = money for old rope!), but GW seem hellbent on shooting themselves in the foot. It comes down the laziness & fear (oh my god, another army to balance!!). Personally, I blame Jervis :evilgrin:

pookie
24-11-2009, 17:21
no one remeber the Kroot army at the Tournie not so long ago, won the game before any dice were even rolled! :eek:

Dyrnwyn
24-11-2009, 17:58
no one remeber the Kroot army at the Tournie not so long ago, won the game before any dice were even rolled! :eek:
How'd that happen? All infiltrating Kroot v. some army that started all in reserves? No different than going up against all infiltrating Guard under the old codex.

Culven
24-11-2009, 20:24
It wasn't a Kroot army, it was Tau Empire with two units of Infiltrating Kroot. The enemy was playing White Scars. They were playing Dawn of War, Tau deployed an HQ, White Scars chose to hold everything back to come in first turn (i.e. didn't even try to Outflank anything), Kroot Infiltrated, setting up a picket line along the enemy table edge. Tau Empire won by preventing the entire enemy army from entering the table.

Dark_Templar
24-11-2009, 21:20
That is kind of awesome.

Revlid
24-11-2009, 22:21
That is kind of awesome.

That is very nasty, and kind of cruel.

But also awesome.

meno1
25-11-2009, 08:55
Because Blood Angels are Space Marines and Kroot are not?

You sir, just won. That is GW, right there.

You could make a complete converted army, but use IG rules, minus the tanks and valks, and I think you would have one great army, that would be competative for a change!!! THe CA army was a piece of poop, but very fluffy and attractive! i made one.

Actually, you could do the IG template like I just suggested, but use the tanks from the TAU army to stand in for Russ' and essentiallty ally Tau to Kroot in theme!!! You could have a GREAT army then! Good material for a story as well with Tau comming to aid a Kroot battle with heavy artilery, or something like that.

Umm, no. Sorry but I cannot see Railguns counting as lascannons and what-not. Also IG suck at close combat, I cannot ever see the rules fitting a sneaky kroot, who are stronger and faster than an average man. In fact this idea sounds soo unrealistic I probably would refuse to play against such an army, it'd feel so...wrong...

Just please, keep the kroot armies with the fan-made codexes, or use tyranid's or daemon's codexes. But no absurd "kroot counts-as a man" or "tau weaponry counts-as lesser human weaponry." I mean seriously, you thought of using the IG codex for a kroot and tau allied army?? One thing, I doubt tau would work for kroot or ally to kroot as you say. And another thing, here's a secret...there's actually a thing called a tau codex!

Deadnight
25-11-2009, 12:58
Umm, no. Sorry but I cannot see Railguns counting as lascannons and what-not. Also IG suck at close combat, I cannot ever see the rules fitting a sneaky kroot, who are stronger and faster than an average man. In fact this idea sounds soo unrealistic I probably would refuse to play against such an army, it'd feel so...wrong...

Just please, keep the kroot armies with the fan-made codexes, or use tyranid's or daemon's codexes. But no absurd "kroot counts-as a man" or "tau weaponry counts-as lesser human weaponry." I mean seriously, you thought of using the IG codex for a kroot and tau allied army?? One thing, I doubt tau would work for kroot or ally to kroot as you say. And another thing, here's a secret...there's actually a thing called a tau codex!

you could use the tau codex as a base - kroot are already there. and you've got some serious options for conversions.

behold the krootside:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b345/machinae_prime/krootox.jpg

doing krisiskroot(s) would be fun.

pookie
25-11-2009, 13:10
It wasn't a Kroot army, it was Tau Empire with two units of Infiltrating Kroot. The enemy was playing White Scars. They were playing Dawn of War, Tau deployed an HQ, White Scars chose to hold everything back to come in first turn (i.e. didn't even try to Outflank anything), Kroot Infiltrated, setting up a picket line along the enemy table edge. Tau Empire won by preventing the entire enemy army from entering the table.

My Bad, Culvens spot on - i just remeber seeing the Kroot deployed and wrongly thought it was a Kroot Force not Tau Empire one.

stormboy
25-11-2009, 13:47
Didn't Forge World have rules for a Kroot list in the Taros campaign?

I thought they did, as one of the players in my group fields a Kroot Army with FW rules and some really cool models. Let me see if I can dig up the info.

The army certainly struggles to be competitive. But if you love kroot you are probably not looking for a super competitive army anyway.

pookie
25-11-2009, 14:34

so your happy with Nid/Daemon counts as Kroot, yet not IG? seriously thats just stupid.

Commissar JVE
25-11-2009, 18:09
Im happy that we have so many point of views from so many people.

I have been playing 40k for about 8 years and i have owned and sold almost every army GW has made. Iam interested in starting a new army (Daemonhunters or Kroot) my only problem with that is, I dont want to drop $500.00 and haveb Daemonhunters erased all together and Kroot just never get a Codex. Forget about all that talk about well Kroot can be converted in this army and to that army! :o

Kroot need there own Codex just for the fan base! GW cares about money and that is just another way to pull more money into the pockets of the CEO's of GW. Again all im saying is give me a codex for Kroot or a new Codex for Daemonhunters, let me loose all the time with them, but I assure you I would have a great time loosing with a cool looking army! Just my thoughts!!! :mad:

Stillfrosty
25-11-2009, 18:19
To be honest I am pissed more then most about GW not supporting a Kroot Mercs codex. They deserve a codex more then dark eldar and necrons in my opinion because they are an easy fix to make them viable in 5th edition and this army appeals to anyone who is a hobbyist and likes to convert units from scratch. Anyone who doesn't believe that probably got slaughtered by the army when it was legal.

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that chances are that they aren't getting a codex any time soon if ever, so what we have to to do is build a kroot themed army list such as I have done with tau (kroot renegades), ork, or tyranid list which I have played against and seen on other forums. Though it really isn't a remedy for the situation, simply because the play style, fluff, tactics, and units can not be properly represented by these armies. All we can hope for is when the Tau codex does come out, that kroot will get some evicerator first turn charging love.

Dyrnwyn
25-11-2009, 20:08
Didn't Forge World have rules for a Kroot list in the Taros campaign?

I thought they did, as one of the players in my group fields a Kroot Army with FW rules and some really cool models. Let me see if I can dig up the info.

The army certainly struggles to be competitive. But if you love kroot you are probably not looking for a super competitive army anyway.

I have IA3. There isn't a full Kroot army list in it. There is a Full list for Elysian Drop Troops, a list for how to run Tallarn Desert troops under the old IG codex, and two additional auxiliary troops for Tau armies.

What IA3 does have is several FW units for use in a Kroot Mercenary force. Your friend is basically playing with the old Chapter Approved Kroot Mercs list, with the additional Forgeworld models of Knarloc riders and Goaded, Mounted ND/OR baggage Greater Knarlocs.

meno1
26-11-2009, 08:29
so your happy with Nid/Daemon counts as Kroot, yet not IG? seriously thats just stupid.

Umm yea, how is it stupid? Daemons and Nids are actually good in close combat, IG are not. Also, kroot have kroot beasts, shamans, kroot shapers etc. How do you represent these using an IG codex? The Daemons codex is far more suited, greater daemons/spawns (kroot beasts), heralds (shapers/shamans)... Finally, how can a beast that is stronger and faster than a man, with sneaky skills (infiltration/deep strike), be represented using a man's stat-line?

Another thing, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have Tau heavy weapons with the stat-line of human heavy weapons. It doesn't work, Tau's technology is far more advanced. And even if you did want to field kroot with Tau heavy weapons, there's a thing called a Tau codex

Captain_Trips01
26-11-2009, 08:59
I myself am a huge fan of Kroot. Even though they generally die horribly, I always take 2 12-bird squads in my Tau army. I would love to see their merc codex made official, but I just don't see that happening.

Jinra
26-11-2009, 09:08
I love the Kroot fluff, it would rock if GW redone the merc list as an official PDF at least.

Of course I never see them doing an official codex, kroot lack that Astartes luster they get a lob on for.

Fluffwise my favorite Xenos.

pookie
26-11-2009, 14:17
Umm yea, how is it stupid? Daemons and Nids are actually good in close combat, IG are not. Also, kroot have kroot beasts, shamans, kroot shapers etc. How do you represent these using an IG codex? The Daemons codex is far more suited, greater daemons/spawns (kroot beasts), heralds (shapers/shamans)... Finally, how can a beast that is stronger and faster than a man, with sneaky skills (infiltration/deep strike), be represented using a man's stat-line?

Another thing, I'm pretty sure you couldn't have Tau heavy weapons with the stat-line of human heavy weapons. It doesn't work, Tau's technology is far more advanced. And even if you did want to field kroot with Tau heavy weapons, there's a thing called a Tau codex

its called Counts as, as long as its easy to wrok out, who cares what dex is used? limiting it to Daemon/Nids and youd be happy, but nothing else, is the Stupid part, if your opponent spent 5/10 mins explaining how they came to there decision on what to do with the IG dex then weres the prob?

plus whos to say the Kroot have evolved to be good in CC, that particular merc band, could have more advanced traits in other aspects, not including CC.

again its all down to counts as, you shouldnt be so blinkered imo (which you are - and i can see and understand your reasons) as its only a game after all.

Spider-pope
26-11-2009, 15:28
Umm yea, how is it stupid? Daemons and Nids are actually good in close combat, IG are not. Also, kroot have kroot beasts, shamans, kroot shapers etc. How do you represent these using an IG codex?

After 5 mins thought:

Kroot = Veterans with Forward sentries - giving them the Stealth USR
Kroot Hounds = Rough riders
Krootox riders = Sentinels
Master Shaper = Commissar Lord

And Daemons and Nid's really dont fit Kroot at all. Unless you want to explain every game why none of your models armed with Kroot rifles can actually shoot.

meno1
26-11-2009, 22:00
Unless you want to explain every game why none of your models armed with Kroot rifles can actually shoot.

Unless the kroot are head-hunters, who have no guns. I've seen kroot lists using those 'dexes before and they worked well, but yes I have been a bit blinkered. When it comes to kroot, really any codex could be used, so long as you have plenty of shapers leading the men, to represent that they've feasted well. In fact, it'd be great/funny to see an Eldar Kroot army:D Sorry, but something inside me just revolted against a Kroot IG army at first, and I forget totally about Kroot strains and feasting.

Brother Alexos
26-11-2009, 22:52
You know, you could still use a Kroot merc army, as you could probably just have a Tau leader unit, and then all Kroot, as well for the Genie cults, all you would need is a friend to game with, like in the doubles tourney.

Culven
26-11-2009, 23:04
The problem that I find in trying to make a Kroot army using the Tau codex is the annoying 1+ on the Commander and Fire Warrior entries. Maybe next codex GW will stick in a Kroot HQ, and Fast Attack and Heavy Support units of Kroot while removing the 1+ on the Commander and Fire Warriors. Then people could play a Kroot army, a Tau army, or a mix.

owen matthew
27-11-2009, 00:56
You sir, just won. That is GW, right there.

Why should you? Close minded ignorance just holds back creative possibilities. Do what it takes, get more people out there and playing this game. Its a bunch of toys anyway. Stop taking it so seriously you would try to deny a person have some fun. Besides, Just because the codex says it one way does not mean you could not write a good piece of fluff to explain a certain situation... I did not intend for Tau to work for Kroot, but to support them in a battle situation.

News flash, Kroot are balls in CC, boosts.

I know the singular piece of s#%t known as the Tau codex, well. It does not work well for a Kroot army, which it the point of this thread.

I will gladly take this off the thread and onto PMs.

Barone
27-11-2009, 02:57
The Kroot!! The Kroot!! The Kroot!! are on fire :D

Commissar JVE
28-11-2009, 03:05
Man I like the opinions on the Thread I started!!!! Keep them coming!!!

owen matthew
28-11-2009, 07:06
After 5 mins thought:

Kroot = Veterans with Forward sentries - giving them the Stealth USR
Kroot Hounds = Rough riders
Krootox riders = Sentinels
Master Shaper = Commissar Lord

And Daemons and Nid's really dont fit Kroot at all. Unless you want to explain every game why none of your models armed with Kroot rifles can actually shoot.

Perfect, exactly the lines I was thinking on....

meno1
28-11-2009, 10:37
At owen matthew, settle. I realised my mistake, and apologised.

Now, back to Kroot. It seems both the Chaos and Tau codexes are in dire need of straightening out. Both need to be able to either field a Marine/Tau army, a Daemon/Kroot army, or a mix of both IMO. Frankly it's stupid splitting the Daemons and Marines, and even worse when they don't even allow for a entirely Kroot army.

Finally to the "Kroot count-as IG," how about...
Shamans - Psykers
Shapers - Commissars, Sergeants
Stalkers - Stormtroopers
Headhunters - Priests (although these are limited) or Ogryns (although HH don't use guns normally)
Warriors - Carapace Vets.
Krootbirds - ??? :( (no Krootbirds...)
Krootkopter - Valkyrie/Vendetta
Any more ideas?

owen matthew
28-11-2009, 20:33
Meno, no problem, I am sorry for that heavy handedness there. I am going to admit I was at a family party where more than a little scotch may have been involved... I should have said what I did without being so inflamatory.

I do like the ideas you guys are coming up with here!