PDA

View Full Version : A school report on 40k!!HELP!!!!

fox-hound
21-11-2009, 02:43
So I can do a report on anything I want for my school:evilgrin:!!! So what year did 40k come out?

mightymconeshot
21-11-2009, 02:43
i believe 87

bluemeenie
21-11-2009, 02:47
not that I would ever use wiki as a source buttttt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000

Arakanis
21-11-2009, 02:54
not that I would ever use wiki as a source buttttt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000

Oh, so much wikipedia hate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Wikipedia a good place to start. I believe there are one or two articles that describe the development of Games-Workshop out there too.

Providence
21-11-2009, 03:10
Oh, so much wikipedia hate. :rolleyes:

Yeah, Wikipedia a good place to start. I believe there are one or two articles that describe the development of Games-Workshop out there too.

I think wikipedia is great however it does not count as a source in the eyes of scholars, as anyone is able to modify it etc.

Sounds like an interesting topic for a report, should take away the boring aspect of doing assignments lol.

Starwolf
21-11-2009, 03:14
Wikipedia often has sources cited at the bottom of the articles. Just use those as your sources, and the info is usually the same.

catbarf
21-11-2009, 03:21
I think wikipedia is great however it does not count as a source in the eyes of scholars, as anyone is able to modify it etc.

The nice part is that instead of using Wikipedia as a source, you can go to a Wikipedia page and then cite all the pages that information was pulled from to create the page. If it's not cited, then of course it's not accurate.

Some of my teachers like to point out the inaccuracy of Wikipedia by altering the pages. I see this as no better than vandalism. The site's usually pretty good about reverting such things, and while Wikipedia's not great for finding opposing viewpoints (the whole neutrality thing), it's definitely great for factual data on everything from lobsters to obscure towns in Switzerland.

Count de Monet
21-11-2009, 03:22
GW themselves would be an obvious resource. As would the various retrospectives in some of the WD issues.

After you've exhausted all of the "open sources", if there are still unresolved questions, a polite well-written letter/email to some of the principals like Rick Priestley could very well get results.

Rusty Initate
21-11-2009, 10:52
since schools don't seem to allow wikipedia maybe you could try this website

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

spurker
21-11-2009, 11:04
Schools don't allow wikipedia? Where did you get this idea? My school has the most restrictive web use I have ever had the misfortune to encounter and most of the kids I teach used wikipedia as a starting point for finding references in other places.
OP, what are your success criteria?

Geep
21-11-2009, 11:40
When 40K came out in the form of Rogue Trader was 1987. This was supplemented by the Warhammer 40K Compendium (red book), Warhammer 40K Compilation (yellow book), Warhammer 40k Vehicle Manual, 'Ere We Go, and I believe Freebooterz and Waaargh! Orks also came out in this edition.

The start of 40K was as a modified version of Warhammer Fantasy 2nd edition, before 1987 (Warhammer Fantasy third ed also came out in 1987, i think). I think most of the rules were put in print as The First Citadel Compendium, but I think this was assisted by many White Dwarf and Citadel Journal articles (an older style Citadel Journal, not the same series as the most recent publication by this name).

StefDa
21-11-2009, 11:40

My teachers at CBS (Copenhagen Business School, a well-respected business university, you could say) frequently use Wikipedia and even encourage us to do it. Not as a primary source, but as a secondary.

Wicksy
21-11-2009, 13:24
My teachers at CBS (Copenhagen Business School, a well-respected business university, you could say) frequently use Wikipedia and even encourage us to do it. Not as a primary source, but as a secondary.

Wiki has its uses. I use it to brush up on stuff i have forgotten. However i would always say to people to use it only as a guide for finding better sources of information. The fact it is not peer reviewed like a journal paper or text book tends to destroy its credibility somewhat. I have seen some right clangers from undergraduates who used wikipedia as their only source for essays and research projects.

It is an excelent resource though when used wisely :)

fox-hound
21-11-2009, 16:52
I'm home schooled and this is just a report for a writing class I'm taking with my support group but I do go to community collage (I'm in 9Th grade by the way:eek:) and I doubt the collage would want me to use wiki. So how was 40k started and who was the original authors? And where was it most popular when it came out? When did it get introduced into the states?

grissom2006
21-11-2009, 22:18
The existence of a science fiction table top game in development by Games Workshop was made known through Citadel Journal in 1986 and Rogue Trader was officially released at Games Workshop's annual Games Day event in October 1987. The game was sub-titled Warhammer 40,000 in order to clearly differentiate it from 2000 AD's Rogue Trooper comic series. The game featured rules that were closely modelled on those of its older sister, Warhammer Fantasy Battle. The majority of the book was written by Rick Priestley who was also responsible for WFB.

As for where it was most popular thats not really a question that can be answered. How do you define it by the country that happened to sell the most copies?? When a you look at large countries heavily populated and sell say 10,000 of it and then go to a sparse one and sell 50,000 of it.

_Si_
21-11-2009, 23:11
Amazon's "search inside" is a great way of getting 'proper' references to back up what you find in wikipedia ;)

Doppleskanger
22-11-2009, 00:14
It would be well worth having a poke about on stuff of legends as you can get a clear idea of what was released when, and what GW were up to during the 80's and 90's.
Start here and just wander around
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/index.htm
You'll also get a feeling for what RT was like by the first few years releases, as it was much closer to an RPG than the tabletop battlegame it spawned. Also remember that HUGE amounts of rules came out in WD and without access to the issues up to around 150 it will be hard to get a handle on it in all its madness

There was a site I found a few years back which had a lot of detail on every GW game that came out. I'll have a look and see if I can find it again.

Ah, delighted, found it again. Don't know who's site this is but it's excellent

http://www.xs4all.nl/~mgsch/gaming/games_workshop.htm

and this time I'll remember to bookmark it lol

Whitwort Stormbringer
22-11-2009, 01:45
If you don't think they'll accept Wikipedia as a credible source, then I think they'll be even more skeptical about answers coming from members of Warseer (a fan-based internet forum).

My advice to you is to look up Games Workshop on Wikipedia, and use the sources that they cite at the bottom to glean more info.

Geep
22-11-2009, 05:35
So how was 40k started and who was the original authors? And where was it most popular when it came out? When did it get introduced into the states?
Original author of Rogue Trader was Rick Priestley, but a lot of people contributed in other books which helped the game become what it is now. Bryan Ansell and Nigel Stillman were involved, and Richard Halliwell may have had a hand in 40K too (he helped make the original Warhammer- I'm not sure when he left).

Where was it most popular when it came out? Probably England, given I don't think GW had a wide distribution network back then.

As for being introduced to the US... How would you define this? I'm sure it was mail ordered or picked up by the occasional tourist, spreading slowly and insidiously. I don't think you could give an official date of 'introduction'.

darker4308
22-11-2009, 05:38
Pick another topic. The world of gaming and the people associated are rarely interesting and their lives are typically hard to follow as nothing was ever written down. Also ... in all fairness ... wikipedia is probably going to be your only "decent" reference. I've tried to write academically about 40k before ... there isn't much you can do beyond stats. "Proper" history in this case is a lost cause unless your 10 years old.

Ozybonza
22-11-2009, 06:54
Are you presenting this to the class, or just the teacher?

If you are presenting to the class, I'd suggest choosing a topic that isn't going to diminish your chances of picking up women so much.

vladsimpaler
22-11-2009, 06:56

If you are presenting to the class, I'd suggest choosing a topic that isn't going to diminish your chances of picking up women so much.

Good call. Quoted for truth.

Ozybonza
22-11-2009, 07:06
Good call. Quoted for truth.

Trust me - the "Hey babe, wanna come see my pro painted Grey Knights army?" line works 30% of the time at best.

Wicksy
22-11-2009, 11:25
Trust me - the "Hey babe, wanna come see my pro painted Grey Knights army?" line works 30% of the time at best.

They'll want to be pro painted then. Not just 9/10s of ebay's idea of pro painted ;) :D

S_A_T_S
22-11-2009, 11:31
Off the top of my head, White Dwarf 300 is prob ur best bet, as well as the 25th (or is it 30th now?) anniversary of GWs founding issue. They have printed detailed histories of the foundation of GW many, many times in White dwarf. If you want 40k specifically, you'll want to find White Dwarves covering the release of a new edition of 40k, as the article often takes the form of bit of past, loads on new present, and hints for the future. If I had access to my 'archive', I'd sort through and scan you some pages, but unfortunatly they are at my parents house...

fox-hound
22-11-2009, 15:46

HAHAHA I'm rolling in the floor!!!!:p I've been asked for my phone number because some HOT chick's where asking about the game then one of them sat in my friend's lap!!!:p Anyway, is there a rough number of how many people play 40k?

Geep
22-11-2009, 20:08
I'd doubt it- the community is too large and fluctuating.