PDA

View Full Version : Favorite WFB Plastic set

Red Metal
21-11-2009, 06:20
Just wondering what would be everyone's top five favorite plastic WFB sets, based on how much you like them rather than how well they might perform on the battlefield. Can be infantry or a single figure and can be in production or discountinued. Here's mine:

1. Wood Elf Dryads: Thoroughly impressive combinations of poses. The kit has two sets of Spites in branches and a free-standing Owl that all appear three times in the set. Many of the limb branches can also be used for scenic bases or terrain pieces. This set is almost worth it for all the useful pieces, even if you don't play WE.

2. Empire Militia: Technically, I prefer the Mordheim Militia set for the extra accessories sprue, but this one is also really good. Lots of variety for poses and most of them can be used for Champions in other units. To some degree, this set would also be useful for minis in an RPG setting, as well.

3. Lizardmen Stegadon: Very involved set that is completely worth it once finished. I don't even play Lizards, but I had to get this once I saw the combinations and design. One of the best constructed figures and pretty challenging.

4. Grave Guard: Simple, yet striking in appearance. Mine have just a basic paint-job and they still look great, plus they're easy to assemble. A big improvement over the previous metal figures.

5. Black Orcs: Very nice to see some variety compared to the old static, metal figures (though they did have some charm in their own right). Extra bits like weapons and shields are great. Again, alot of variety for poses. Excellent for Warbosses and the like.

snurl
21-11-2009, 07:44
1. 6th edition multipart plastic Dwarf regiment. Tons of extras. I made these guys into cannon crews, hammerers, a Mordheim warband, and some regular dwarf infantry as well.
2. Empire fortified manor. Tons of extra bits to use on other buildings.
3. Mordheim humans. As mentioned previously, these guys are usable in many ways.
4. Zombies. Because they are just cool.
5. Empire Wizard kit. too many optional parts to build just one.

StormCrow
21-11-2009, 08:10
top 5, that's tough.

Okay, in no particular order...

1. Cold one Knights
These plastics just blew me away, there are in my opinion no faults with this kit. The anatomy of the cold ones, the design of the armour...there is a clearly defined aesthetic that carries over the whole model for an amazing finish

2. Black Orcs
Chunky, hard to break, full of character. A unit of these guys ranked up looks intimidating whilst still instilling that ramshackle orcy vibe. The design of the bodies and arms also allows for a lot of customisation and variety and the kit can even be used for impressive character models.

3. Vampire skeletons
These plastics feel ancient purely through the impressive sculpting and the eerie effect of the tattered robes and parchment blowing forward makes these models stand out even more. the rusted armour and weapons are a great touch too.

4. screaming bell/plague furnace
I could harp on about this one all day. Amazing model will have to suffice for now.

5. Chaos knights
Brilliant models that instill the chaotic vibe far more than any other in the chaos range (except horrors...if only they were plastic...) They are very customisable, look extremely threatening, and with a bit of conversion they can easily represent any patron god.

HONOURABLE MENTIONS
Anything ogre kingdoms, anything wood elves, empire state troops, beastherds, corpse cart

Unuhexium
21-11-2009, 09:10
1. Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace
Because it's X-Box-huge, detailed as hell and makes for a VERY cool centerpiece.

2. Chaos Kniggits (said with French accent)
Very few RnF troops can beat the intimidation factor of these guys and I personally find it hard to find a general that looks even more lavish and badass. They just outshine EVERYTHING in looks.

3. Marauder Horsemen
Finaly a regiment that comes with ALL their options (maybe except throwing axes depending on how you look at it).

4. Ogre Ironguts
Also comes with all their options plus a few gnoblars... yay bonus!

5. Lizardmen Stegadon
Just because it looks plain badass.

Ymir
21-11-2009, 09:19
I like plastic kits thar are easy to convert. Space Marines are a prime example of this, as their joints are very simple in their design, and the models as a whole are well-suited to kit-swapping and repositioning. Ogres and Chaos warriors on the other hand, have joints that fix their arms in a particular position, which sucks sooo much as it makes them a pain in the ass to reposition or do anything interesting with at all.

That being said, one also has to take into account the look of the models, and some of the best looking ones are, unfortunately, also very badly designed according to the criteria above. And I don't like when every model has the exact same pose either, so despite Chaos Warriors being rather good looking models, they don't qualify - they're both hard to convert and have very static poses. Actually, they might be the worst designed models ever, as it's downright retared how the back of their bodies are completely hollow due to the sculptor's intention of their fur capes covering that part up.

My favorites, in fantasy battle, are probably:

Marauder Horsemen - they look sooo good, and are rather convertible.

Dwarf Warriors/Thunderers/Quarrelers/Longbeards - It sucks that their beard bits are their torsos, but the warrior kit and the thunderer/quarreler kit is very easy to combine too good effect, and weapon swaps, arm repositioning and other kinds of conversions are easy. Also, most of the models look nice (some of the beards and faces are not so great, but those can be covered with the cool face masks).

Black Orcs - so, so cool and characterful.

Ogre Ironguts/Bulls - not that I think they look that great, far from it, and I hate how their arms bits fits to their shoulders, but I've had sooo much fun converting them to Chaos Ogres just yesterday. And again, it's nice when different kits (Bulls/Ironguts/Leadbelchers) are compatible.

Tomb Kings Skeletons - old models, and sure, the new Vampire Counts skeletons look much better, but the skulls and spears from the Horsemen sprue are very nice, and the shields and clothed heads from the ordinary tomb kings sprues are also good looking. Not to mention the chariot models. And you can easily get some really nice poses for both spearmen and archers; very, very poseable models. And yet again, all of these kits are compatible.

mweaver
21-11-2009, 15:50
First place by a mile = the Mordheim Human Mercs/Empire Militia sprues, because they are so incredibly flexible and have so much personality.

Second the new Empire archers. Lots of variety, lots of extra bits (great variety in heads), and they mix well with the Empire militia, above.

Third (if you ignore cost) would be the new plastic greatswords - great figures, lots of extra bits, and the extra heads are again very useful. Plus, they mix well with the Empire militia and the new archers.

Next would probably be the old multi-part plastic empire state troops - the ones with plastic legs/torsos/heads etc. with plastic swords and halberds, but if you bought the handgunner or crossbow boxes they had metal arms. Again, there was a great amount of variety in those boxes, and they mix well with the Empire militia, the new archers, and the great swords.

Fifth would be the plastic pistoliers. Nice variety in the kit, plus they mix smoothly with the Empire militia, the new archers, the great swords, and the old state troops.

I actually collect almost all of the armies, not just Empire (I generally don't buy high elves because of the cone-head look, and I don't have much in the way of Chaos). The reason the Empire plastics are my favorites is because they have been pretty consistently interchangeable. The current swordsmen/halberdiers and handgunners/crossbowmen boxes are exceptions, but most of the Empire plastics mix together beautifully allowing for a tremendous amount of variety and character in your force. Other good kits for mixing in are the plastic artillery sets and the knights.

orkz222
21-11-2009, 17:12
grave guard, glade riders, new clanrats, new storm vermin, screaming/plague furnace.

TheZombieSquig
21-11-2009, 17:29
Chaos knights, marauder horsemen, chaos spawn, bloodletters, skaven furnace/bell.

All because they have intricate details, are very well made, rank up nicely where appropriate, and have a decent amount of extras/customization.

Ishivia
21-11-2009, 17:45
First:
The new Skaven Stormvermin - They're absolutly stunning. 'nuff said :P

Second:
The new Skaven Clanrats - They're simple, yet due to the fact that there's no repeations on the sprue, you can make very different looking units.

Third:
Hard to place as low as third, but I assume the new Screaming Bell / Furnace model - It looks stunning, can't wait to get my hands on one of those :P

Fourth:
The plastic Giant Rats / Rat Ogre kit, the ogres are awesome and the giant rats are... well giant rats <3

Fifth:
Hmm I'd have to be the Skaven Plague Monks, as they were one of the reasons I returned to WHFB a few years back.

The mysterious man
21-11-2009, 17:56
First:
The new Skaven Stormvermin - They're absolutly stunning. 'nuff said :P

Second:
The new Skaven Clanrats - They're simple, yet due to the fact that there's no repeations on the sprue, you can make very different looking units.

Third:
Hard to place as low as third, but I assume the new Screaming Bell / Furnace model - It looks stunning, can't wait to get my hands on one of those :P

Fourth:
The plastic Giant Rats / Rat Ogre kit, the ogres are awesome and the giant rats are... well giant rats <3

Fifth:
Hmm I'd have to be the Skaven Plague Monks, as they were one of the reasons I returned to WHFB a few years back.

I take it you like skaven then! Well mine would look somethink like:

1. Dwarf plastic miners (love the caged snotling)

2.Wood elf dryads (lots of cool bits in general)

3.Plastic steggadon (I like the diversity of this model)

4. Empire archers (the pheasant is a classic and so is the fallen orc)

5. mordheim accesory sprue (just gives a lord or hero a extra little something)

Orangecoke
21-11-2009, 17:57
I have to agree that the rat ogres are horrible. The back pieces leave these huge gaps, it's just really shoddy compared to other kits. Like they couldnt be bothered.

Having said that,

I love ALL the new skaven plastics, absolutely love them. Of course the Screaming bell is top of that list.

After that, the Stegadon.

Dr Death
21-11-2009, 21:03
Oooh, well there's plenty to choose from nowadays, but here are my 'Five of the Best'-

- Empire Greatswords: Yes, they're expensive but in terms of the versatility of the kit and the detail in it i have to admit the greatswords are right up there. They've got the lot- full customisability (legs, torso, head and arms all seperate peices), they've got a huge array of bits with every battlescarred head you could ask for. They have slash and puff clothing and they're in scale. I'm using the one box i've bought (and it's more than ample for my purposes) for characters and upgrading state troops.

- Dryads: Think back to the old metal models, now look at these- what a reinvention! Feminine and ferocious, incredibly versatile and with some gorgeous characterful little set peices.

- Vampire Counts Skeletons: Warhammer, being as it is fundamentally steeped in the imagery of death (posh way of saying they use lots of skulls) is measured by the strength of its skellies. The new kit is both tremendously useful and also (unlike the last version) have a real narrative aesthetic. The grave guard may be cooler and flashier but they're not nearly as useful and not quite as evocative of the images of undeath as the spectacle of gangley, jerky 'Jason and the Argonauts' skeletons.

- Marauder Horsemen: I liked both the previous marauder regiment and the metal marauder horsemen, so this is no 'thank god for that' vote. The plastic Marauder Horsemen just simply blow those models out the water. They are so evocative, so dark, so brutal looking that you can virtually hear the thunder of hooves.

My final vote would go to either the empire archers or the skaven screaming bell

Dr Death

mweaver
21-11-2009, 22:29
By the way - I also like pretty much every set everyone has listed. I agree the new plastic Skaven are excellent (and I quite like the old ones too).

Mindshred
22-11-2009, 00:58
Chaos Knights really are a great set. While I often cursed at the horses as I painted them up (soooo many details, I thought I would never finish!), I find myself going back to my leftover bits for helmets, lances, and shields just to make the rest of my army look better.

To me, that's the sign of a great set.

Nimh
22-11-2009, 01:31
Screaming Bell/ Plague Furnace
Corpse Cart
Stegadon
Chaos knights
Cold one riders
Dryads
Clanrats

mrtn
22-11-2009, 10:37
Beastherds, all the new skaven sets, plague monks, chaos warriors.

Desert Rain
22-11-2009, 14:45
High Elf dragon

Lizardmen Stegadon

Furnace/bell thing

Chaos Knights

Then it becomes pretty difficult, but I think I'll put the DE cold ones knights as no. 5

Lordsaradain
22-11-2009, 16:39
Empire Knightly Orders

It's the box that I've bought the most of and hade the most use of when converting and building, I've made chaos knights, blood knights, black knights etc from these.

brendel
22-11-2009, 22:27
1 Empire Handgunners/crossbows
2 Black orcs
3 Cold one knights/ Chaos knights cant decide on whats better
4 The new storm Vermin
5 High elf lion Chariot

sulla
22-11-2009, 23:05
Favourite plastics in no particular order.

1: Dark Elf Corsairs. A bloodthirsty crew with a lot of motion in the sculpts considering they all have to rank up. The models would look just as much at home on the battlefield or a DE galley.
2: Plague furnace. This thing is awesome. It looks like it came straight out of one of John Blanche's mad sketches.
3: Corpse cart. Simply the best chariot sized model GW make. Such a cool concept.
4: Bloodletters. I was so glad to see GW go back to the original proportions for these guys. Creepy and otherwordly beasts muscly beastman wannabees any day.
5: High elf dragon. Shame about the riders, but the dragon is fantastic and much more dynamic than any other dragon GW have released.

O&G'sRule
23-11-2009, 00:00
Simply because no one has mentioned it, the giant is worth a shout. Tbh theres very few bad ones anymore, the standard of plastic kits now is outstanding.

Ad-Rock
23-11-2009, 00:04
Temple Guard
Stegadon
Flagellants
Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace
Chaos Knights

Briohmar
23-11-2009, 04:03
My top five are:

Marauder Horsemen: I bought a box, and I sincerely regret it. As soon as I got home, I began cleaning and assembling, they were painted in under a day, and now I have to find the bits to replace the horses of the other two (older) regiments.

Wood Elf Glade guard. I bought them just so I could paint them. That's saying something for me.

Empire Militia/ old Soldiers of Empire. My Empire army has so many combinations made from these two sets that I can't compare them to any other RnF boxes.

New plastic spawns: I bought the box of spawns just so I could finally paint up the Beastmen special character (can't remember his name right now, and too lazy to walk downstairs to check the book.) There are so many options that even with 10 of them, no two are alike, plus I have so many conversion pieces left for other projects.

Empire Wizards: I have 2 boxes (one was an award for best painted at a tournament.) So many options, that its hard to make up my mind. By the way, they can be used with empire militia sprues to make more hedge wizardly characters, especially the trenchcoat torso.

Honorable mentions go to the Beastmen regiment, flagellents, Orc character pack, and Goblin Fanatics.

Alderhan
23-11-2009, 20:42
The Empire militia models/old state troops: I started a Sylvania army when the Storm of Chaos came about and mixed these sets with skeletons and zombies. It was the first time I really enjoyed modelling. Lots of opportunities.

The High Elf dragon: I haven't got one myself yet, but from the looks of my room mate's kit, it looks absolutely fantastic. I'm really looking foward to get one myself and converting a Black Dragon.

Dark Elf Cold One Knights: These were a joy to put together. Easy to model and they look absolutely gorgeous.

The new Vampire Counts plastics: Look amazing, especially the Corpse Cart. Also easy to put together and they come with extra bits, which is always a plus.

GW's doing a great job with the plastics, I sure hope it continues.

loveless
23-11-2009, 20:49
No particular order:

-Screaming Bell/Plague Furnace
-Vampire Counts Skeletons
-Corpse Cart
-Marauder Horsemen
-New Clanrats

Krom The Eternal
25-11-2009, 00:37
My Top 5 Plastic set hmmm

1.)Ogre Bulls/ Iron guts
these are great fun to put together and so easy hahaha
2.)Chaos Warriors
Awesome Bitz and they always look awesome
3.)Bretonnia M@A
Fun to put together an look great when your done
4.)Empire General
This has a ton of options and has amazing bitz
5.)Dark Elf CoK
these are a pain but really rewarding when your done cuz they look grrreeeeaaaattt

lord marcus
25-11-2009, 01:04
am i one of the only ones who likes the plastic rat ogres? i like how they come with extra bitz, are usefull for converting (abomb, mount, etc) and they exude sheer primal badassery.

Krom The Eternal
25-11-2009, 01:24
lol i never have and never will play skaven so i wouldnt know how cool or not they are everyone i know literally avoids skaven like the plague although i bet that will change with the new book that just came out haha

Orangecoke
25-11-2009, 02:10
am i one of the only ones who likes the plastic rat ogres? i like how they come with extra bitz, are usefull for converting (abomb, mount, etc) and they exude sheer primal badassery.

To me they just look kinda awkward and I think the main problem I have with them is they seem to fit together poorly (like that bizarre strip up the back). Thing is, with the right sculptor (Seb Perbet maybe?) these could have been *amazing*.

someone2040
25-11-2009, 04:59
The StegaMegadon.
Not only do you get a grumpy LARGE stegadon, you get a ton of options. You get two skink characters, full crew, different types of weapons for the Stegadon. It's ace.

Laughingmonk
25-11-2009, 06:59
1.) Empire State Troops: a controversial change of appearance, they have so much personality that I have put together hundreds of them and have never tired of it.

2.) Cold One Knights: These are the knights DE players were waiting for. Really captured the meaning of "Dark Elves."

3.) Chaos Knights: the most brutal looking cavalry on the tabletop.

4.)VC Skeletons: These are the best 28mm skeletons money can buy.

5.) Skaven clanrats: They look so gribbly, yet are so full of character as to redefine the look of the skaven army.

Dr Death
25-11-2009, 11:01
am i one of the only ones who likes the plastic rat ogres?

I sincerely hope so- those models are DIRE. The legs are awfully small and the feet look like they're walking on tip-toes, the abdomen muscles are literally just a cross, the pectorals have sunk down to the bottom of the ribcage, the sockets for the arms are so conspicuous they just look fake, the heads are awful, ghastily sculpted and then you have the 'spine' componant which is equally awful. I'm sorry but in terms of plastics that have to be redone, the ratogres top the list. Bring back the metals!

Dr Death

Aurellis
25-11-2009, 11:32
High Elf Dragon

Cold One Knights

Beastmen Regiment

StarFyreXXX
25-11-2009, 11:33
I think the lizardmen stegadon and the warhammer giant kits are the best.
Reason - after assembling the full model, you still have tons of bits left over.

THe screaming bell suffers in that, unless you skip portions of the model (as per it's full official picture), you won't have that many bits left...

Sanjay

andyg2006
25-11-2009, 11:44
1) Cold One Knights: just really nice models (are these some of Jes Goodwin's?)
2) Skaven Bell/Furnace or Doomwheel (can't decide)
3) Lizard Stegadon
4) VC Grave Guards
5) somethings which have been a little 'forgotten' such as either the HE Dragon (even though the dragon prince's helmet is just ridiculously huge and the dragon itself is actually a bit too small, it's still got bags of character) or the HE White Lion Chariot.

Lord Solar Plexus
25-11-2009, 11:58
Empire Milita. It's incredibly versatile, lots of nice stuff in there.

A close second would be Empire Pistoliers, just for their good looks. :)

Artinam
25-11-2009, 12:03
Bretonnian Men-at-Arms (and to some extent Bowmen). So many additional heads and little bits (snail, the variations in banner design). The only thing I am not very happy with is the staticness of the polearms they are holdings, the good part is that they rank up very good partly because of this.

xowainx
25-11-2009, 12:40
While a lot of my favourites have been mentioned a few times, i'll try and mention some that haven't recieved much attention:

- Dwarf Miners - Agreed that they come with some excellent extras, the pony and cart, the steam drill, the tools, the caged snotling e.t.c.. Really handy for making dioramas/scenery. The models themselves are nice too.
- Empire Pistoliers - While perhaps not oustanding in an army, they are really well sculpted models, with quite a lot of extras that can be added to the aforementioned Militia kit.
- Empire General Kit - The lance with the clockwork skull angel and the reaper standard in this are two of my favourite parts in any kit, both look absolutely stunning. On top of those, you get a baby Griffon as well!
- Ogres - These have been mentioned a lot, but they make really characterful models with a lot of detail and extras to customise them. The leadbelcher carrying an Empire Cannon, the lookout Gnoblar, the Gnoblar with the flaming torch, the shields from other races for Irongut armour.. They way they revolve around two basic bodies, yet you can have 25-30 in an army without it looking too repetative is really something too.
- Dark Elf Corsairs - If I currently didn't have five (Wood Elves, Dwarfs, Empire, Orcs, Ogres) Fantasy armies that need painting and finishing off, and my gaming buddy didn't have a Dark Elf army, I would have started a raiding army based entirely around these.. They completely blew me away when I first saw them, and for me, really showed how GW are at the top of the game in their ability.
- The Boss and Shaman from Skull Pass - For the Squig and Dolly on the top of the stick respectively.

gorenut
25-11-2009, 16:50
1. Stegadon - It's just an amazing kit. Probably the best kit I've ever had the pleasure of putting together. The details, the layering.. simply beautifully done. It's the kit that actually sparked my interest in Lizardmen again.

2. I really like the Ogre Plastic kits ever since I first saw them. I've never had an Ogre Kingdom army, but have always been tempted. Of all the armies I've swapped, etc... I try to always find room to put some Ogres into it as mercs.

3. Dark Elf Cold One Knights - The knights are good.. but its the cold ones them selves that are simply amazing. So much so, I have 2 boxes of em just to convert them into Lizardmen Cold One Riders (anyone looking to trade/buy for just the DE knights ;) ?).

4 and 5. This is a tough one, but I like both the Chaos Marauder Horsemen and Empire Pistolier boxes. The horses from these sets just look powerful. Too bad the side effect of it, the Empire Knights look like they're riding on little ponies.

Orangecoke
25-11-2009, 18:34
I sincerely hope so- those models are DIRE. The legs are awfully small and the feet look like they're walking on tip-toes, the abdomen muscles are literally just a cross, the pectorals have sunk down to the bottom of the ribcage, the sockets for the arms are so conspicuous they just look fake, the heads are awful, ghastily sculpted and then you have the 'spine' componant which is equally awful. I'm sorry but in terms of plastics that have to be redone, the ratogres top the list. Bring back the metals!

Dr Death

Im sitting here looking at the two I assembled, and horribly regretting buying the kit...it's like 50 bucks (Canadian).

Keller
25-11-2009, 19:22
I haven't tried my hand at too many of the new plastics, so these may be a bit outdated.

Best sprue-set: Empire Militia, or more specifically Mordhiem Mercenaries. As mentioned by countless others, they are just incredibly versatile.

2. Ogre Kingdoms plastic ogres. I won't specify which, since they all use the same base sprues, with some extras thrown in for Lead Belchers and Iron Guts, but I really liked them all. Well, except the gaps common on the shoulder-blades, but those are easily fixed.

3. OK Gnoblars. Now, normally I hate 1 piece (well 2 piece with the heads) models, but I loved these guys. Just the right amount of detail, lots of variety, and easy to put together and rank up in a hurry, which is great for units of 25+

4. VC Zombies - Great character in these models. Who can hate them?

I must say, I don't care much for a lot of the new plastics. They tend to be too slender and have far too much detail to paint up for ranked units. I like to keep my models simple, with characters and champions being different to make them really stand out.

Orangecoke
25-11-2009, 19:44
I must say, I don't care much for a lot of the new plastics. They tend to be too slender and have far too much detail to paint up for ranked units. I like to keep my models simple, with characters and champions being different to make them really stand out.

That's what I actually love about the new clanrats box:

- they are fast to assemble and paint

but

- they also appear quite detailed from the "3 feet" rule, and champions etc can be made to stand out.