PDA

View Full Version : High Elf 500pt Army - Need Help

Lord Anathir
26-01-2006, 00:21
Well...im a WFB player. Im interested in the tactical part of Lotr, especially shield walls, overruns, lapping around, all the cool things the greeks and romans did. so id like to hear what kind of 500pt high elf armies you guys own. im just lookin around for ideas, because i just might start one if i get the money.

Pertinax
26-01-2006, 06:38
As far as I can see from my experience of playing elves, you need 3 elements in your army.

1: Captains to lead them. You can go for the named heroes, but they are expensive. They can be quite good, but in an army where you are numerically challenged, you probably will be fine without them. Remember that your basic troopers are pretty much as good as a non-elf hero (Stat-wise, at least), and your captains are just as good as lesser named heroes.

2: Bows. Elf bows can be deadly efficient. Hitting on 3+ at S3 at long range is nasty. Especially when you have lots of them. Usually in a points match up, there is a limit to the number of bows you can have (33% of total figures). It is absolutely worth taking as many as you can. Rarely bother with volley fire, your 3+ direct fire is much more reliable.
Also, don't worry about getting your archers into combat. If you have given them heavy armour (and possibly a spear), then they are just as good at HTH as anybody else in your army, and they are still better than most common opponents.

3: High Defence. Elves have high defence. Making a shield wall with spears and shields is just rude! They will be pretty much immune to enely missile fire, and will still be resiliant as jeck when they are charged. With a row of shields and spears backed up my a row of bowmen with spears, you can suppliment with some blades behind that to give you that extra killing power, should you meet something tough.

So there's my 3 points of an Elven army. Hope they helped.

Of course, there is the unspoken 4th point. And I would claim that that is this:

4: Make a plan. Take the formation. Stick to it. You will be a comparatively small force. You can use that against the enemy. If you only have 10 figures that can be charged, you can use that carefully to limit the number of opponents that can get in to base contact with you. Don't just rush out and get swamped. A swamped elf is a dead elf. Simple as that.

Ash599
26-01-2006, 07:55
Well...im a WFB player. Im interested in the tactical part of Lotr, especially shield walls, overruns, lapping around, all the cool things the greeks and romans did. so id like to hear what kind of 500pt high elf armies you guys own. im just lookin around for ideas, because i just might start one if i get the money.
If your interested in complex tactics it might be worth considering a force with a more diverse range of troop types, such as cavalry also. Which the elves lack atm. Gondor are a nice army, they have Knights of Minas Tirith and Knights of Dol Amroth who are equivalent to heavy cavalry. Aswell as an excellent array of heroes: King Ellesar, Gandalf the White, Faramir, Boromir, Prince Imrahil and more. Their basic troop type is also quite good, and they have some quite able archers in the Rangers of Gondor w/ 3+ shooting value.

If your adament on elves though, you might consider the wood elves aswell, they have giant eagles which would also give you a fast moving unit for your army.

Intrepid Adventurer
30-01-2006, 13:33
Trying to make me an Elven army as well. Shouldn't the spears be second rank? Is there any benefit in having front rank spearelves with bows behind?

Pertinax
30-01-2006, 18:09
Shield elves have a greater defence. They are the ones that will get shot at.

Once the enemy gets close, you rotate the line, so that the swords go infront of the spears. Ready for battle!

Don't fall into the trap that the battle line won't change!