PDA

View Full Version : Hunt it down and bring me it's head.

Getifa Ubazza
21-11-2009, 16:23
My son gets quite bored when playing a full game of 40k, so what I started doing was cover my board with terrain and sending him out with a couple combat squads with a plasmagun each to find and destroy my lone Flyrant.

For a while I managed to pick one squad off and then the other, But now he has learned to use them as a team and is beginning to take his toll.

I'm not complaining, in fact we have had a lot of fun and surprisingly found some tactics for bigger games. I'm using my Flyrant to much better effect and he has learned alot about the rules and how to use his units as an army, rather than just individual squads.

Does anyone else do this?

Lord Nestron
21-11-2009, 17:02
Intressting Idea i am going to try with a buddy of myn

sigur
21-11-2009, 17:12
This sounds like a fun thing to do, especially with units that have more options than just walking 6" and shooting. I thought of doing such a thing back when I played Tau to learn about ways to use the mobility of suits. Anyways, sounds like an okay change from regular gaming.

Intressting Idea i am going to try with a buddy of myn

Who is myn? I did a user search but there's no registered user of that name on Warseer.

Imperius
21-11-2009, 17:43
Ah, it seems I have a completely different problem....

I don't have the patience for apocalypse sized games, by then end f this one 9 hour game I felt like screaming out at the ninnies who actually played the game for the 9 hours straight.

I don't want to insult people who like Apocalypse, I'm sure it doesn't take very long when you have tons of Superheavies. But its beyond me, how can you play for so long without exploding in fiery death...

Lord Malorne
21-11-2009, 17:48
Apoc games bore me, I think 4000-5000 is about right, we had a 2v2 12k each game and it just was not fun.

As to the OP that is a great idea and I will be stealing it for some future fun, thank you!

Lord Malorneius ;)

StefDa
21-11-2009, 17:53
Who is myn? I did a user search but there's no registered user of that name on Warseer.

Quite sure he meant "mine". With a buddy of "mine".

He Who Thirsts
21-11-2009, 18:21
I thought up something similiar...

There are at least 3 players. 1 is the 'boss', and the rest are 'survivors'.

the boss can generate a unit a turn, from any codex. however, for the first three turns, they can only be troops. the next three they can only be troops and 'jumpers', the next three turns after that bikes, troops and jumpers, continueing this way in this order; infantry heavies, elites, vehicles, hq, monstrous creatures, special characters.

Survivors start out with one miniature from any codexes, and can upgrade them reasonably, I.E., A hive tyrant can't buy artificer armour but a Chaos lord can. They get a 250 point allowance, and they get awarded points according to this - 5 for troops, 10 for fast attack, 15 for heavy infantry, 20 for tanks, 25 for hq, 30 for monstrous creatures, 50 for special characters. Survivors all have the eternal warrior rule.

There are shops scattered around the board, and all players can upgrade their units from these shops. They cannot upgrade their units out side of the shop, with the exception of at the beggining of the game. At the shops they can themselves for 10 points per wound. This may not take them above the number of wounds they have, but they can purchase a bonus wound for 30 points.

mightymconeshot
21-11-2009, 19:06
sounds fun. it sounds like a mix between kill team and normal games. as to He Who thirst you need to add an ability to heal your self otherwise it is a matter of time or a lucky roll for one to die. i would also suggest to limit instant death on the characters.

also to those apoc. bashers me and 3 buddys played a 20000 point game and ended in 5 hours. it was loads of fun and this was with one super heavy.

Thud
21-11-2009, 19:16
That sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. Not just for the fun it would be in itself, but also for the advantages it would lead to in larger games with understanding how to utilize units and movement to one's own advantage.

Quite sure he meant "mine". With a buddy of "mine".

Quite sure our friend, Asutarian squirrel, was being sarcastic. ;)

He Who Thirsts
21-11-2009, 19:20
mightmconeshot, I apologize. I should have realized that. Will edit.

Getifa Ubazza
22-11-2009, 15:46
I thought up something similiar...

There are at least 3 players. 1 is the 'boss', and the rest are 'survivors'.

the boss can generate a unit a turn, from any codex. however, for the first three turns, they can only be troops. the next three they can only be troops and 'jumpers', the next three turns after that bikes, troops and jumpers, continueing this way in this order; infantry heavies, elites, vehicles, hq, monstrous creatures, special characters.

Survivors start out with one miniature from any codexes, and can upgrade them reasonably, I.E., A hive tyrant can't buy artificer armour but a Chaos lord can. They get a 250 point allowance, and they get awarded points according to this - 5 for troops, 10 for fast attack, 15 for heavy infantry, 20 for tanks, 25 for hq, 30 for monstrous creatures, 50 for special characters. Survivors all have the eternal warrior rule.

There are shops scattered around the board, and all players can upgrade their units from these shops. They cannot upgrade their units out side of the shop, with the exception of at the beggining of the game. At the shops they can themselves for 10 points per wound. This may not take them above the number of wounds they have, but they can purchase a bonus wound for 30 points.

I think that could almost be a game in and of itself. My son and I still use all the regular rules. We are simply playing a small 200ish point game. We might take it upto combat patrol size in a while. I might take a Brood of Gaunts without number and something else, maybe some Warriors and give him a Captain and something else. I will increase the size of the game to his attention span and hopefully he will be playing normal sized games without distraction after a while.

Copella
22-11-2009, 16:44
also to those apoc. bashers me and 3 buddys played a 20000 point game and ended in 5 hours. it was loads of fun and this was with one super heavy.

For some reason, I too, find Apoc without tons of Super heavies a lot of fun.

Revlid
22-11-2009, 16:51
Have you considered Kill Teams?

mightymconeshot
22-11-2009, 17:17
sounds good. i will try it at the next get togehter.

Chem-Dog
22-11-2009, 18:08
My son gets quite bored when playing a full game of 40k, so what I started doing was cover my board with terrain and sending him out with a couple combat squads with a plasmagun each to find and destroy my lone Flyrant.

I like it, Going to steal it for the younger crowd at my club.

Imperius
22-11-2009, 18:34
After browsing these very forums, I found a very cinematic and quite good version of Warhammer 40,000.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219970