PDA

View Full Version : 40k club problem

Leviro
21-11-2009, 17:20
My club is mainly Warhammer players, but there are a few of us who play 40k.

The problem is I always end up playing the same people. They make the army with army builder with no knowledge of the army at all, then rely on the printed out lists for rules and stuf, and then use whatever models they can find to represent the list. This means that I'm left with having to play against armys in which neither player knows what does what, or which models are which.

As I live about 45 minuites drive away from the club I can only go about once every 2 weeks and adding on the fact that the people at the club are really unreliable, (getting there 30-40 mins late, and once not even turning up) it takes nearly a whole day just for one game that we dont generally finnish (and there only really 1500 pt games) and I'm starting to wonder whether its really worth the effort of going.

On top of all this the guy that runs the club started a campaign a few months back. This campaign was designed for 8 players, only 3 people enterd. The campaign is just too complicated, with special rules for everythig, a complicated way of moving about, eaveryone (all 3 of us) has there own objectives, etc. It's also far too long, there are 28 planets, and it takes 3 games to conquer a planet and there are 3 of us, so its gonna take a long time before anything really happens.

On the other hand, there are no real gamers anywhere near me and the club is the only place I can actually get a game is at the club, although it is against people who use an army they dont know, with models that are bits of card/plastic/bases, in a campaign that wont ever get finnished.

So what do you guys think, is it worth playing like this or should I just not go?

mightymconeshot
21-11-2009, 17:32
what it sounds like i would say no. however if you want to play you have to do what you do. i am going to assume that you tried looking for another club. if there is another that is father away you may want to go and check that out just go less times per month but for longer.

marv335
21-11-2009, 17:39
It's your time, you have to decide its worth.
It doesn't sound worth it to me though.
I'd be looking for a larger club. even if it's a little further away.

Netfreakk
21-11-2009, 17:42
Yea, that sucks.

Maybe talk to the organizer about the length of the campaign as well as the rules. Also, if ur opponents aren't children maybe talk to them about what armies they like and such, and start pointing them towards picking up some miniatures.

Maybe suggest to the organizer that since there's not a lot of players u can start an escalation campaign. Something really small at first and build up to say 1500. that way people will get the miniatures and slowly learn the rules. Other than that good luck?

FoolsJourney
22-11-2009, 08:14
Talk to the club's owner. Ask if they would object to you posting flyers and leaflets in his local libraries, colleges etc- and generally advertise that they're looking for 40k players. Offer to do all the legwork, the design, the printing yourself (maybe in exchange for a week or 3 free admission).

Offer to do some introductory games with basic painted armies- you draw up the rosters and provide suitable models. Create the buzz yourself, and people will be hooked.

Leviro
22-11-2009, 10:39
Theres another club just a bit further away, but its far too expensive and has rediculus opening times.

In the club there are 4 people ive played against in the whole time ive been there, ones about 12, ones about 22 and the other two are about 35-40. The guy thats 22 is the best opponent, he knows the rules, always uses the right models (although they're unpainted) but he hasnt been to the club for nearly 9 months. The 12 year-old is, as you can imagine, the worst: very good at creating cheesy lists, but never knows quite how they work. The other two need constant reminders that when you charge you get an extra attack (they're used to fantasy), and they just dont seem to learn the rules.

Next time I go to the club Im going to talk to the owner about the campaign, and depending on what happens ill sign up for next year, go on odd months or not at all.

doghouse
22-11-2009, 10:47
If you have a local GW then it might be worth mentioning it to the staff to see if they can help promote the club in an attempt to get more players. Our local store does that all the time, even lets the club put flyers at the cash register.

Sounds like you are fighting a loosing battle with that campaign, get them to ditch it in favour of Planet Strike. It's a simple system but a lot easier to get to grips with.

Maybe talk to your club owner about a mini 40k tournament and get the GW or indie store guys to promote it?

Leviro
22-11-2009, 10:58
If you have a local GW

If only, the nearest GW store is about two hours drive in the opposite direction, though Im not shure about indie stores...

Ranwulf
22-11-2009, 11:29
Why don't you try to bring people to the club or play the game in your local game store? You could for instance spread the adress about it in the internet, that way more people are going to play with you !

Giganthrax
22-11-2009, 16:29
I think playing at that club isn't worth it. Sounds frustrating as all hell.

You should grit your teeth and drive to a farther-away store. Even if it costs more, I'm sure it can't cost THAT much more that you can't afford it, and besides - going there in the morning and staying all day to play a few games is probably a lot more rewarding then playing in your current environment.

chromedog
22-11-2009, 21:06
I game at two clubs.
My 'local' is in the same town my in-laws live in (so I can be there most weekends - tradiotional family meal night on weekends) and the other one is down the coast about an hour.

The local one is mainly kids 12+ (there are a few 18 year olds and three 'grown ups'), some of whom don't know the rules or their armies and can't be bothered learning. They're also usually skiving around and annoying the others. We had to ban two of them.
They only play GW games. I've tried other systems and they just aren't interested - for them there are no other games companies.

The other one is a slightly older crowd (15+ with a solid core of University age people) and more variety of games played. When I want a break, I go there.

Other people don't have this kind of flexibility in their gaming circles. I've always had another club to go to apart from my 'main' one, because I like to keep options open.