PDA

View Full Version : Deathworld Vets - Complete Army From Scratch

Yodhrin
26-01-2006, 02:30
I've decided I need to commit myself to finishing at least one army this decade, and between finding some old, half-used Catachan sprues and reading the DW Vets + Kroot thread, the choice is clear.

Ill be continuing to work on my AdMech and Iron Hands here and there, but Im putting most of my effort into getting a working Catachan force up and running. This force is based on my absolute favourite Imperial Guard rule, which I like to call: "How many dice?!?" :p

There will be six(count'em) AP3 weapons in the army, and those will be Missile Launchers, ie, my anti-tank, and not a Lascannon in sight. I am determined to put together a working force which will prove you do not need half a dozen Las+Plas squads or triple-Plasma vet/command squads to beat Marines. By looking at the above rule, you can probably deduce the way I intend to do this is by throwing a solid wall of bullets at my enemies.

This is my own personal tribute to a game I watched last year, when a valiant Guard player went up against the local club's resident cheese merchant(playing min-maxed Blood Angels). The beardy bloke naturally sneered at the silly Guard player, who had taken Exterminators over normal Lemans or Demolishers; "Haha!" he yelled "Your puny weapons cannot harm my mighty Marines! AP4 is teh suq!"(or words to that effect). I then looked on gleefully as the Exterminators systematically dismantled his entire right flank and practically won the game unaided.

Anywho, list:

HQ

Command Squad;
4x Guardsmen(Lasgun, Mortar), JO w/ Carapace, Iron Discipline, Light Infantry

Support Units;
Mortar Squad x2
ML Squad x2

ELITES

Veteran Squad;
9x Vets(LP+CCW, 3x GL, Heavy Flamer), Vet Sgt w/ Honourifica, PF, Jungle Fighters

Veteran Squad;
9x Vets(LP+CCW, 3x GL, Heavy Flamer), Vet Sgt w/ PW, Jungle Fighters

TROOPS

Platoon 1:

Command Squad;
4x Guardsmen(Lasgun, Heavy Bolter), JO w/ Iron Discipline, Light Infantry

Squad 1;
9x Guardsmen(Lasgun, Heavy Bolter), Vet Sgt, Light Infantry

Squad 2;

Platoon 2:

Command Squad;
4x Guardsmen(Lasgun, Heavy Bolter), JO w/ Iron Discipline, Light Infantry

Squad 1;

Squad 2;

FAST ATTACK

Kroot Tracker Kindred;
9x Trackers, Shaper

Sentinel; Multilaser, Improved Comms

Sentinel; Multilaser, Improved Comms

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Exterminator;
Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, Smoke, Rough Terrain Mod.

Leman Russ Exterminator;
Heavy Bolters, Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, Smoke, Rough Terrain Mod.

Infantry: 87
Cavalry: 10
Walkers: 2
Tanks: 2

TOTAL - 1793 Points

A little note on my command platoon. The JO in charge is not actually my army's commander, rather just the commander of the Mortar Platoon. I wanted to include a decent amount of Mortars without using a Doctrine point and a Heavy Support slot. It also seemed more..."Catachan-y" to have the commanding officer in the thick of it with his lads, and so the leader of the first vet squad got an Honourifica and a promotion to Major.

With ten Sniper Rifles and seven Mortars, I should be able to pin anything I want, whenever I want, even Marines, which could prove quite handy. The vets will act as assault units and mobile fire-support, or in the case I roll an Alpha mission and they cant Infiltrate, counter-chargers. I really wanted to include some Ogryns(just for the modelling), but without Infiltration they would have a hard time keeping up with the rest of my force, and I plan to avoid Chimeras so I had to leave them out.

I was tempted to go for Jungle Fighters on every squad, but in the end I took Light Infantry for most, as it's just more practical. I lose a couple of nice rules in forest and jungle terrain, but the more flexible Infiltration is worth it. Giving JF to the Vets is win-win, as they get to utilise all the benefits yet can still Infiltrate anywhere.

So, it's Bursary Time again on Monday, and it's been nearly five weeks since I last bought any plastic soldiers(my hands are shaking and Im quite pale, so either Im in model-withdrawal or I have some kind of wasting disease... :p ).

Catachan Battleforce x1(50)
Catachan Infantry box x1(18)
Catachan Heavy Weapon Squad x1(20)
Overnight delivery + DE Cold One sprue x10 + 3x Kroot sprue + Heavy Flamer Body 2 x1 + Heavy Flamer x2 + Marauders Sprue A&B + 'chan Jungle Fighters sprue x2 + Scout HB x4 + HB Bipod x4 + Backpacks[see below] + Rocket Girl[and ML] + Ox[and HB](98.40)
Leman Russ x2(40)

BH 3 pack
Cawdor Heavy pack
Escher Heavy Stubber pack
Goliath Heavy Bolter pack
Goliath Heavy Stubber pack
NEW ORLOCK HEAVY pack
Orlock Heavy Bolter pack
Orlock Heavy Stubber pack

TOTAL: 226.40

As I said, I already have enough bitz for about 17 Catachans lying about, so hopefully Ill have the first squad assembled/undercoated and a couple of test models done by the weekend. Suggestions on colour combos would be handy, Im leaning towards a plain, light-khaki for fatigues and jackets and a green-tinged grey for vests and the like, but Im open to suggestions.

Updates soon(hopefully).

MIGHTYPanhead
26-01-2006, 03:58
whoah, rad!

gotta love the "HOW many dice?" rule :p

all i can suggest for colours are: green fatiuges/vests, and NO BARE SKIN! (well, no un-camo'd skin)

i mean, it'd be nice to see a catachan army that didn't stand out so much in the jungles :rolleyes:

Yodhrin
28-01-2006, 14:01
A couple of quick updates;

First, my budget just went down the crapper, the power supply unit on my PC blew yesterday and took one of my sticks of RAM and my Hard Drive with it, so I had to spend about a hundred quid fixing it up again :(

Second, Im considering slightly changing the focus of the army as a result of that, and because I'd forgotten just how crappy the Catachan plastic are. I dont mind how they look, the slightly overdone proportions have a sort of charm to them much in the way those old RT-era Marine models do, but dear God the flash! :p

I spent 45 minutes yesterday just cleaning the parts for a single test model and filling all the unsightly gaps. I then realised that the designer of the plastics seems to enjoy the anguish of modellers; I forgot that putting an arm on one effectively means you can't paint the front of the torso.

Anywho, the new potential concept is for a Mechanised Deathworld force. A planet where almost all flat low-level ground is thick, soupy swamp and marsh, the landscape dotted with jungle-covered mountain ranges and volcanos. The swamps are, of course, home to at least 40 things that will kill you if you dip your little toe in the water :p Essentially the only ways to get around are on the back of one of the local lizard creatures or in an amphibious transport vehicle. Early Guard regiments raised from the world were entirely cavalry-based, but over time this has changed to formations with a mix of traditional cavalry and the mechanised variety.

The army would consist of Chimera-mounted Heavy Infantry in the form of Storm Troopers and Grenadiers, backed by a large force of Rough Riders. Doctrines would be Allow Storm Troopers, Grenadiers, Allow Rough Riders, Xeno-Cavalry and Carapace Armour, resulting in a small force of elite infantry and hard-hitting combat troops. Im also thinking of a way to work the Kroot into their background.

I wont decide either way until I do a budget review and an army list for the second concept, so Ill update later today with a decision.

t-tauri
28-01-2006, 14:33
If cash is a problem get thee to ebay. Catachan plastics can be picked up at very good prices without much effort.

You might even be able to get them assembled and part painted with a scout around.