PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point Warriors List

Reinnon
21-11-2009, 17:12
Hey all

For my next expansion into fantasy, i've decided upon a possible warriors list which i would like to enter the tournie scene with at some point. My previous list was a very ghoul heavy VC army - which while effective has a fairly predictable game plan.

My goal was to create a list that would make powerful use of the magic phase, i freely admit to being a bit of a magic junkie when it comes to fantasy. I also wanted something that would work fundermentally different from my ghouls, so i decided to go for a zero ranked army that works more on speed then brute force.

Lord

Sorcerer Lord: Mark of Tzeentch, Level Four, Disc of Tzeentch, Spell Familiar, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Book of Secrets, Conjoined Homunculus
Total: 395

Heroes

Sorcerer: Mark of Tzeentch, Level Two, Disc of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Protection
Total: 210
Sorcerer: Mark of Tzeentch, Level Two, Disc of Tzeentch, Skull of Katam
Sorcerer: Mark of Tzeentch, Level Two, Disc of Tzeentch, 2 Dispel Scrolls

Core

5 Horsemen: Mark of Slaanesh, Throwing Spears, Musician
Total: 86
5 Horsemen: Mark of Slaanesh, Throwing Spears, Musician
Total: 86
5 Horsemen: Mark of Slaanesh, flails, musician
Total: 91
5 Hounds
Total: 30

Special

5 Knights: Standard Bearer with warbanner, musician
Total: 255

Rare

Giant: Slaanesh
Total: 265

As you can see, the army is hyper mobile, basded around a flying core of tzeentch sorcerers who should be able to outcast hopefully most threats. The knights are the close combat punch, while the giant provides a fairly brutal close combat target. The horsemen are there to run around the enemy, getting key charges with flails and basically being a pain.

I'm fairly happy with the list, but there are some things i'm unsure about:

1) Horsemen equipement, are throwing spears actually worth it?
2) Lack of knights - one unit doesn't provide me with alot of punch, i fear outside of gateway i will struggle against a seriously armed unit - would more knights be better?

Just a note: i like the cabal of sorcerers, so i would like to run them on discs - please don't suggest i foot slog them!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

jthdotcom
21-11-2009, 17:48
Depending on who you are fighting, another unit of knights may be more effective than the giant, giants quite often get killed before combat in my experience, having no saves...one good round of shooting/magic can take it out, knights are alot more survivable

GWItheUltimate
21-11-2009, 17:58
Depending on who you are fighting, another unit of knights may be more effective than the giant, giants quite often get killed before combat in my experience, having no saves...one good round of shooting/magic can take it out, knights are alot more survivable

I'm 100% with jhdotcom on this. Since you don't have many dangerous unit, I'd take a second unit of knights instead of a Giant. Not because giant is not good... but you're opponent will target him as it is your only juicy target... I doubt it will see a fight.

jthdotcom
21-11-2009, 18:04
Knights will generally be on a 3+save at worst from shooting, unless it allows no armour such as cannons, that good a save makes people quite often not bother shooting at them, especially with that many marauders to pick off

alex17
21-11-2009, 18:31
2nd unit of knights, 100%

Reinnon
21-11-2009, 19:43
Thanks to the replies, seems to be a fairly universal vote for more knights... the points difference will also allow me to get another unit of hounds to act as a screen.

Khemed
21-11-2009, 20:05
Mark the knights with MoK since you can screen the frenzy easily with the massive horsemen/warhounds and the hitting will be even more lovely?

Also why not divert marks on wizards a bit - you can still go for a ground mount and nurgle sniper or slaneesh on slaneesh steed with some b. roar is quite cool to soften the enemy before you hit them (since you don't rely on SCR).

And seeing you have the puppet already, why not experiment with a b.tongue on lvl2? I know I'm trying it out and I'm really happy using it against smartasses who can afford to cast with 1 PD most of the times thus totally dodging Pandemonium.

Also most people seem to be going towards th.axes on horsement instead of spears.

jthdotcom
21-11-2009, 21:58
In reply to khemed, something I found out the other day is a socerer on slaanesh steed has 360 line of sight for casting...steed has fast cav.rule

Khemed
21-11-2009, 22:13
that's why I suggested the Slaneesh one to take bloodcurling roar in the first place :)

Reinnon
21-11-2009, 23:25
The sorcerers are not subject to change beyond equipment - they are the main reason i'm considering the army.

No black tongue is simple: lack of points and space to put it. The obvious thing would be to remove the skull, but the skull seems a far more powerful tool in the long term.

No mark of knights is also due to points, and i want everything in my army to be fairly reliable.

Khemed
22-11-2009, 00:11
Well in that case I'd drop one unit of horsemen in favour of : 5 warhounds + MoK on knights or add a 6th knight since you can still be hit before you engage the enemy and be left with 4 knights and risk getting a losing combat vs. a solid SCR unit.

Also I think you can get more useful items than the skull, since on lvl 2's you can cast flickering fire on a single dice with a 2/3 success rate, so that'd be around 4 dice to cast f.fire 3 times if your dice stick to the avg. And if you roll less, no modifiers will help since you auto-fail on total dice roll of 1 or 2 anyway.

And I just see the book of secrets to be much more useful even on a lvl 2 since you can get a fireball off pretty easily and get an extra PD too - ofc it also saves you another 25pts which you can spend i.e. on conjoined homonculus for those dodgy gateway casts. Don't get me wrong, the skull is a great item, just not really cost effective compared to some others out there.

Xzazzarai
22-11-2009, 14:33
In reply to khemed, something I found out the other day is a socerer on slaanesh steed has 360 line of sight for casting...steed has fast cav.rule

Have this been FAQed?
If so, please give me a link.

Reinnon
22-11-2009, 18:17
I'm already using book of secrets...

You are also forgetting that +2 makes dispelling the flickering fires more difficult and it allows me to get off gateway more easily - plus, its a cool idea to have the four sorcerers flying around with other.

No mark of khorne on the knights! I really don't want them frenzied, mark of slaanesh would be the only mark i would seriously consider, but they cause fear anyway so won't be auto broken (my main concern) and they are pretty much immune to terror.

and: the steed has fast cav. rule in its actual rules, no FAQ required.

danny-d-b
22-11-2009, 20:40
yep but fast cav accroding to the rule book is 360 for shooting, however it was FAQed for magic in the WOC as well!